Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Against forest barnes needs to be going hell for leather at the defense every time he receives the ball. Keep prodding and poking that back line. Don’t want him ever to pass the ball back yes he may lose it a few times but rather we lose possession up top rather then in midfield or defense.

this is what lookman used to do he always attacked

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Another player that has not recovered from a bad knee injury back to his best.

Nowhere near the levels he was at before the injury and was a dark horse for an England place at Euro 2020.  Just looks half arsed these days...

With the exception of Maddison not one of our injured players seems to be back at their best.

• Like 1

I blame Rodgers for a lot but with Barnes l really dont see it's his fault.

Barnes has never really developed his game as international class players do, he is to me a one trick pony who can be and is worked out very quickly and nullified  by opposition defenders.

Like others l dont think the lad is very bright.

Lookman was consistent without the flash of Barnes but I'd take him over Barnes every time, lets not even mention defensive duties (it's every man on deck atm).

For me Barnes is a luxury we simply cannot afford, effective one game in five at best, if we had a manager willing to hook him after 25 mins of an "off day" fair enough (what this would do to confidence mind is another story) but right now l would put him on the bench for a 20 min cameo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

An out and out winger whose managers asks him to constantly be narrow and come inside. 

BR is destroying him 

He's right footed, he's being played as inverted winger, hardly somethng that Rodgers can be blamed for, it's how the game is played nowadays.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Think people are too quick to criticise Harvey. His numbers are amongst the best of any English wingers. On numbers alone both he and Madders should be in the dull as fook England squad. 

Mainly because there aren't many good English wingers.

Barnes best return for us in the league is 9 goals. Hardly amazing.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

An out and out winger whose managers asks him to constantly be narrow and come inside. 

BR is destroying him 

He plays on the left and comes inside, done it all along, look at some of his goals out on loan.

Issue with Barnes is that he doesn't take defenders on. How many times does he just stop and pass the ball back.

A very inconsistent player.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, J. James said:

I blame Rodgers for a lot but with Barnes l really dont see it's his fault.

Barnes has never really developed his game as international class players do, he is to me a one trick pony who can be and is worked out very quickly and nullified  by opposition defenders.

Like others l dont think the lad is very bright.

Lookman was consistent without the flash of Barnes but I'd take him over Barnes every time, lets not even mention defensive duties (it's every man on deck atm).

For me Barnes is a luxury we simply cannot afford, effective one game in five at best, if we had a manager willing to hook him after 25 mins of an "off day" fair enough (what this would do to confidence mind is another story) but right now l would put him on the bench for a 20 min cameo.

This is my main issue. A luxury we can ill afford right now 

I’ve always felt that he doesn’t show up in tough games. He scored a few big goals before his injury and i thought he might have turned a corner but in general i feel he shys away whenever the going gets tough. Another one who perhaps mentally needs some work. I don’t think it’s a coincidence his best performances came when there were no fans. 

But I think he’s the least of our worries right now. He has a huge part to play for us in the next few games, we need output!!

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Barnes is one of the most vital players we have, plays well we win , if he doesn't, there is very little after Maddison maybe Youri to create anything

And therein lies the problem, he isn't playing anything close to well and we are losing,  not his fault because he should be benched and Rodgers should adapt by playing a different system - fat chance of that!

The hardest thing in football is to pick up the ball and get past your opponent. He needs to be encouraged to continually face his fullback and take him on. Brendan sadly deems keeping possession more important.

On the same subject Demari Gray is looking good, who did he play for? He needed, like all wingers an arm round him and an assurance of a ten game run at least and he’d have been a match winner for us. What a waste!

4 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

He's right footed, he's being played as inverted winger, hardly somethng that Rodgers can be blamed for, it's how the game is played nowadays.

I know that, but he's narrow before he's even received the ball. 

He's not starting wide and cutting in with pace, he's already narrow and marking himself out of the game. 

• Like 1

Some of the criticism of Barnes here isn't justified.

But the problem is we're playing a system that is essentially built around him - we have no other direct wingers and we're so lopsided with teams destroying us on our right side in particular. 

And it's difficult to pick him and Ihenacho in the same team unless you play 4-4-2 where our midfield gets overrun, or put Ihenacho on his own upfront which doesn't work as well as Ihenacho alongside Vardy or Daka.

Based on the fact that Ihenacho's record has remained strong in the minutes he's played, I'd pick Ihenacho over Barnes, switching to either a diamond or 3-5-2. Given our defensive problems and a lack of an in-form DM, 3-5-2 is the logical move.

And before anyone says we've been poor in 3-5-2, the only point we've got this season is in that formation and the first 60 mins was easily the best we've played this season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Some of the criticism of Barnes here isn't justified.

But the problem is we're playing a system that is essentially built around him - we have no other direct wingers and we're so lopsided with teams destroying us on our right side in particular. 

And it's difficult to pick him and Ihenacho in the same team unless you play 4-4-2 where our midfield gets overrun, or put Ihenacho on his own upfront which doesn't work as well as Ihenacho alongside Vardy or Daka.

Based on the fact that Ihenacho's record has remained strong in the minutes he's played, I'd pick Ihenacho over Barnes, switching to either a diamond or 3-5-2. Given our defensive problems and a lack of an in-form DM, 3-5-2 is the logical move.

And before anyone says we've been poor in 3-5-2, the only point we've got this season is in that formation and the first 60 mins was easily the best we've played this season. 

352 isn’t a problem if we actually play 3 cbs and not a dm. but rodgers simply won’t drop wilf 

Edited by Lambert09