Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

352 isn’t a problem if we actually play 3 cbs and not a dm. but rodgers simply won’t drop wilf 

Good point.

He has to drop Wilf, he has been so poor this season.

Faes, Evans and Justin as CBs, with Castagne and Thomas as wing backs. Soy is injured (and exiled), Vestergaard just exiled!

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

Good point.

Faes, Evans and Justin as CBs, with Castagne and Thomas as wing backs. Soy is injured (and exiled), Vestergaard just exiled!

agreed. I’ll whisper it, but i wouldn’t be against big dan so we can get justin’s athleticism out wide 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Good point.

Thomas cant play as a wing back, he needs a left winger to link up with. When he first came into the team him and Barnes did this really well. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Thomas cant play as a wing back, he needs a left winger to link up with. When he first came into the team him and Barnes did this really well. 

Agree  indirectly…he can play wing back,but is better playing with a left winger & he plays fullback. People forget like many great players who goes before him,he has time to develope all sides of his game. His career as only just started. In 2-4-6-8 years,if he gets game time he will be a different player..

I think judging any player based on the start to this season is flawed. It’s a pity the club and team is in such a mess. In a half decent environment I’d love to see Barnes play and improve. This really should be his season, but instead is the season of Brendan and the board dragging a demoralised club and team along the bottom of the table.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I think judging any player based on the start to this season is flawed. It’s a pity the club and team is in such a mess. In a half decent environment I’d love to see Barnes play and improve. This really should be his season, but instead is the season of Brendan and the board dragging a demoralised club and team along the bottom of the table.

Yes and no. I like him in general, but I think the biggest problem with Barnes is his lack of work rate means that when he’s not “on it” it feels like we carry him more than we do other players as he’s not such a team player and that’s not just something that’s happened at the start of this season.

His pressing stats stood out like a sore thumb last season for how poor they were. Especially when our other wingers - Albrighton, Perez and Lookman were right at the top of our pressing stats and pressing 2 or 3 times more than Barnes, so you can’t blame his position. 

I think given how much we seem to lack intensity compared to 2 or 3 seasons ago he stands out because Barnes is probably the worst culprit and the player we carry the most in terms of lack of work rate/intensity/pressing from the front. I’m not sure that’s just down to lack of motivation either.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Almost all of the goals he scored last season were when we got the ball forward quickly and he could isolate the fullback, we never do that anymore. He looked really sharp in preseason where we actually did play fairly direct he was dangerous.

When the pressure's on Rodgers reverts to ultra-safe possession football which stifles everybody but most of all Barnes. He has the ability to get 13+ goals a season we just need to create the opportunities for him.

There was a time he could realistically get 15-20 goals & assists per season. Because we played to most of the players' strengths in the team. But totally agree that Rodgers is far, far too cautious in every game these days, which means our attacking players get about 15-20 minutes per game of actually looking like scoring. Most of the rest of the game is just a) trying to soak up pressure, b) trying to not concede (and failing miserably) and c) our front 3/4 attacking players trying to make something out of nothing.

• Like 3

Agreed that slow build up doesn’t help Barnes but how much of this is about defences figuring him out and then not allowing him to become isolated.

Obviously the managers job is to get the best out of players and it’s clear he isn’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Agreed that slow build up doesn’t help Barnes but how much of this is about defences figuring him out and then not allowing him to become isolated.

Obviously the managers job is to get the best out of players and it’s clear he isn’t.

If we played quicker football there would be less chance of this happening as there would be more gaps for him to run into.  As soon as we twat about with it at the back, the opposition get back into position.  We then twat about with it some more and it then allows the opposition to press us high up the pitch where mistakes then continue to happen.

When BR first came we played passing football but on the front foot which allowed far more space for people like Barnes and Vardy.  I miss those days.  Southampton away was just about pure perfection on how to play.  Such a shame we have lost our bottle.

• Like 2

Some **** a couple of rows ahead of me had a go at him for thinking he wasn't running at Williams enough, then had the grace to call him a retard for it. 

It was literally seconds before he ran at Williams for an attack that led to Maddison's first goal. 

Really annoyed me that some fans can't move their grudges on. He clearly didn't like Barnes at all. 

Of course he wasn't such a retard when he curled in our 2nd!

Harvey has all the tools to become a ruthless winger. 

I think he just needs to be more greedy and go for glory. A lot of the time when he cuts in he passes on responsibility with an easy ball to KDH or Maddison, rather than going for goal. 

Get into ‘em Harvey! 

• Like 2

Barnes will always have poor moments.   He needs to be given licence to run at players.  He is up against  Premier League defenders so he will lose the ball quite often.   

How did Williams avoid a yellow for that challenge?

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I get your point and you aren't strictly wrong but Barnes has been in iffy form and didn't start the game brilliantly before his goal. 

I mean he wasn't incredible after it. 

Was an improved performance and the goal itself was absolutely amazing but he does remain one of our more frustrating players to watch even when he's statistically productive. I can understand why he winds people up. 

I thought he did well even before his goal. He did look to run at Williams on most occasions and we (as a team) did try to get him in 1 on 1 situations. I just found it odd that it was only 20 mins and 1 fan in particular felt the need to abuse him that much when he hadn't done much, if anything, wrong. 

Barnes is going to have some great Premier League numbers and yet people (myself included) aren't convinced he's that good lol Form fluctuates within games so much but he's such a threat. 

I'm surprised Klopp hasn't taken an interest in him, think he'd suit him. 

You can often tell with Barnes how his game will pan out after 5 mins. Usually after his first encounter with the full back! Goes badly and he can shrink on the pitch, when he feels like he’s got the better of them he goes for it. Luckily it was the latter last night. Although I feel it could have been a different story if Aurier started as he doesn’t seem to like physical defenders.

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

Sometimes he needs a bit of encouragement to take a player on, which given his pace and trickery he should be doing it for fun. Maybe its a confidence thing for him

I don't think there are many better in the league for taking a defender on. He needs full licence to express himself