Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I don't think there are many better in the league for taking a defender on. He needs full licence to express himself 

I’m not sure that’s true unfortunately, his stats for successful dribbles are woeful. He has got so much pace and his directness can be great, but sometimes he just dithers on the ball and reacts too slowly so loses the ball. 

I still can’t work Barnes out. His general goal contribution numbers are pretty solid, and he can score all sorts of goals. But I don’t feel that he’s often a threat all match in the same way Maddison is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

I’m not sure that’s true unfortunately, his stats for successful dribbles are woeful. He has got so much pace and his directness can be great, but sometimes he just dithers on the ball and reacts too slowly so loses the ball. 

I still can’t work Barnes out. His general goal contribution numbers are pretty solid, and he can score all sorts of goals. But I don’t feel that he’s often a threat all match in the same way Maddison is.

He clearly prefers off the ball movement to dribbling past players. He's always looking for a one-two to get by a player.

Just now, Dusty said:

It's really interesting. I appreciate he can be very frustrating at times but I feel that's because you expect more from him because it's clear to see the ability he has. I feel like his presence alone creates space for others but obviously he needs to do more

Barnes is a strange one, he has all the ability to vary his game but seems to have tunnel vision about cutting in and curling shots to the far post. he does this even when there are two men covering the inside and either runs into them or hits a shot into a defender and it's incredibly frustrating. He needs to think more and do it when it's on rather than robotically doing it each time.

I get that he wants to be direct and score goals, but can't someone tell him if he goes down the line more or plays a one two sometimes he will be much more effective: keeps defenders guessing and that will in turn actually open more opportunities to cut inside and score? At the moment it must be easy to defend against him when defenders are in position because they know what he's going to do, show him down the line and he will still try to cut in, then dispossess him...

I get very pissed off at the bloke behind who continually berates him when something goes wrong. His job as a winger by nature means he attempts a take on numerous times, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. 

That's the nature of his role. If the fans (at times) were more supportive of him, he might have more belief. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

I get very pissed off at the bloke behind who continually berates him when something goes wrong. His job as a winger by nature means he attempts a take on numerous times, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. 

That's the nature of his role. If the fans (at times) were more supportive of him, he might have more belief. 

Yeah, I hear a lot of people criticise Harvey and say he's not playing to his full potential, and I have that nagging feeling too. So I decided to compare him to another English player who plays on the left and likes to take on defenders in Jack Grealish. Both had breakthrough PL seasons in 19/20, although Jack is 2 years older then Harvey. Since then Jack has 48 G+A every 177mins. Harvey has 60 G+A every 147mins. From the stats its evident that Harvey is far more effective than Jack, yet one is lauded by the press as an unbelievable talent and the other isn't. It was evident to me that Forest had 2-3 players around him when he got the ball, because with us essentially only playing one winger, all the attention was on Harvey when the ball went out wide. He's also not helped by our slow turgid build up, but despite all of this, he's one of the most effective players in the PL and still only 24. Maybe he's quietly going about his business and it's just our expectations that are too high.

• Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Yeah, I hear a lot of people criticise Harvey and say he's not playing to his full potential, and I have that nagging feeling too. So I decided to compare him to another English player who plays on the left and likes to take on defenders in Jack Grealish. Both had breakthrough PL seasons in 19/20, although Jack is 2 years older then Harvey. Since then Jack has 48 G+A every 177mins. Harvey has 60 G+A every 147mins. From the stats its evident that Harvey is far more effective than Jack, yet one is lauded by the press as an unbelievable talent and the other isn't. It was evident to me that Forest had 2-3 players around him when he got the ball, because with us essentially only playing one winger, all the attention was on Harvey when the ball went out wide. He's also not helped by our slow turgid build up, but despite all of this, he's one of the most effective players in the PL and still only 24. Maybe he's quietly going about his business and it's just our expectations that are too high.

:appl::barnes:

2 hours ago, Dusty said:

There will be days,where Barnes comes

to the fore & Maddison drifts, but still

dangerous...that's the exciting point of the duo..

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Barnes is a strange one, he has all the ability to vary his game but seems to have tunnel vision about cutting in and curling shots to the far post. he does this even when there are two men covering the inside and either runs into them or hits a shot into a defender and it's incredibly frustrating. He needs to think more and do it when it's on rather than robotically doing it each time.

I get that he wants to be direct and score goals, but can't someone tell him if he goes down the line more or plays a one two sometimes he will be much more effective: keeps defenders guessing and that will in turn actually open more opportunities to cut inside and score? At the moment it must be easy to defend against him when defenders are in position because they know what he's going to do, show him down the line and he will still try to cut in, then dispossess him...

But we have seen him score various goals...& He comes from various angles...though I admit of late ,not only Barnes, a few other WB by the opposition look for that wonder goal.

Often enough it's no wonder goal anymore,because sometimes the door of opportunity appears 2-3 times in a game,when (all) teams lose their shape.These last two seasons have produced such crackers,because the

defenders might be covering 1-2 metres, other players, or counter attack,

with defenders spread over the field.

Madders is quite ept,looking for that shot,but coming from the inside.Though these previous 6 games he blasted wide,or just went the other side of the post...

Strange Tielemans comes from another channel, so chips or straight-curling shots tend to be his faire..

To be fair most moves are not deliberate,its how the game opens up.

Barnes will go down the line,or play triangles with ( Thomas,Justin,KDH)

and any one might drive inside...

It's when they are moving off and creating those openings,we play our best football.If the triangles are consistently broken..Barnes can use his

individual skills...but he has suffered with team & individual form..

I think it's worth noting...

Ndidi,Barnes,Justin are proof,after long injuries,one often needs a good season

to refind your form & Rythme.

Ndidi with his several interuptions over

2 +half seasons struggling the most...

Justin is only slowly getting into the groove, but inconsistent ..

Rooney,KDB,Kane etc had some quiet

6 months to a full season...some have struggled over 2-3 seasons,also depending on quality of team...top teams can carry .

We nursed Maddison,but we are not covering Ndidi enough with Mendy/Soumare,he was quite unique for awhile...

Like this forum too many impatient fans. Often over analysing,instead of enjoying the small moments.

Made a name for himself for long range finishes on loan in League One and the Championship but at Leicester he's only scored a couple from outside the box. This finish was very good, hopefully see a few more from distance as he's got it in him.

• Like 1

He's got all the raw ability yet there's still lots of unrefined parts of his game, that's down to the coaching he's received imo. Great crosser but we don't see it often enough - again the manager and coaches should be gleaning it out of him.

24 goals, 24 assists in 87 PL starts is a great record for a winger.

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He's got all the raw ability yet there's still lots of unrefined parts of his game, that's down to the coaching he's received imo. Great crosser but we don't see it often enough - again the manager and coaches should be gleaning it out of him.

24 goals, 24 assists in 87 PL starts is a great record for a winger.

I think this sums it up for me. He’s got great numbers, but there was a time before his injury after the Liverpool game in 20/21 where he looked absolutely frightening and like he could just bulldozer through players and even though his numbers are good, he’s never quite looked that same player and seemed to lose that explosive power and deceptively strong upper body strength.

His lack of work rate frustrates too. Especially when you see how much Maddison has improved in that regard over the past 18 months while Barnes seems to have gone backwards.

It’s weird because I think he’s a very good player and he’s adapted his game to be an effective one, but I also get the feeling he’s not fulfilling his full potential when I consider that it looked like he could go on to be a regular England player 18 months or so ago. I don’t get that feeling anymore of excitement when he gets the ball from his ability to bulldoze past players through his pure power, I’m not sure that’s there anymore.

57 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think this sums it up for me. He’s got great numbers, but there was a time before his injury after the Liverpool game in 20/21 where he looked absolutely frightening and like he could just bulldozer through players and even though his numbers are good, he’s never quite looked that same player and seemed to lose that explosive power and deceptively strong upper body strength.

His lack of work rate frustrates too. Especially when you see how much Maddison has improved in that regard over the past 18 months while Barnes seems to have gone backwards.

It’s weird because I think he’s a very good player and he’s adapted his game to be an effective one, but I also get the feeling he’s not fulfilling his full potential when I consider that it looked like he could go on to be a regular England player 18 months or so ago. I don’t get that feeling anymore of excitement when he gets the ball from his ability to bulldoze past players through his pure power, I’m not sure that’s there anymore.

We're dreadful at giving him the opportunities he thrives on, basically every goal he scored last season we got the ball to him in space. When our build up is slow and disjointed it takes him out of the game entirely.

I'm interested to see what our next manager does for him, it's clear Rodgers can't bring him on.

1 hour ago, KFS said:

One of our worst players today by a country mile 

up there with the most Overrated and underwhelming players in our history. Personally can’t stand him.  Complete lack of focus or effort 8/10 times 

• Like 1