Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

We make allowances for other people at the club being inconsistent so why isn't Barnes afforded the same courtesy? He at least tries to move forwards with the ball 

He never seems to move forward to put himself into a position to recieve a ball, stands still rather than runs onto a forward ball. Slows us down at times.

Great numbers but I do worry about his decision making.

• Like 3

Just now, hejammy said:

He's actually the most frustrating player we have for me. The guy has bags full of talent - more than any youth product I can remember - however his decision making let's him down big time, Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing and valuable player for us, but just think if he had a bit more up top and his decision making was on point, he could be world class and I don't see that as hyperbole. 

The coaching staff need to help with his decision making 

I always think a really interesting sign is to watch how it other teams react to a player. 

Almost the entire division goes into alert mode when Barnes gets the ball, running quickly back into pre set positions, and usually doubling up on him. Wolves were one of the few that didn't (presumably  as a result of having the bib man in charge) and he ruined them as a result. 

(On another note, bizarrely Everton didn't get tight on Madders the other night. A staggeringly bad Frank moment. I could even here  or 4 times on the mic some of the crowd screaming at the everton players to get on Madders)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

How many other non "big 6" wingers get as many goals and assists? Bowen? Zaha maybe? And the latter takes pens.

Every winger in our bracket is inconsistent and frustrating to some extent - it's an odd position, but Barnes is a real asset for us.

No I agree. It's Barnes' decision making that needs help on which does frustrate but I certainly do see him as an asset obviously.

Zaka is probably the first name I think of. Maybe Eze in future seasons. But you are right every winger we go for will be inconsistent, there was only Mahrez and he was obviously that good he ended up at the best team in the Country. But there aren't that many wingers now anyway, not like they used to be, because teams set up different now. Barnes is "old fashioned" I guess, but when he's direct it's when I like it. Needs to do it more often because there are times he won't run at a full back but that could be confidence also.

On 06/11/2022 at 08:47, murphy said:

Absolutely.  We know from bitter experience that finding wingers is not easy.  We ended up wuth Perez for Mahrez and then followed that with Diabate, Gjezzal, Under and Lookman.  We've got a 24 carat one on our hands in HB and he cost us nothing.

We couldn't afford to buy Barnes, he is a very special player and one of the few that gets me out of my seat.  

I'm just baffled by those that call him average.

.. he can look amazing but he can easily be negated, if you know about his shortcomings you can put him on the backfoot!!!

Getting wingers is not difficult,  the ones you have mentioned are not genuine attempts to fill the role. There are quality players outthere who we can bring in for the right-side, Leeds picked one up for under £25m, if you understand what is out there then we could bring someone in who will be what we are looking for. I really do not believe Rodgers really wants to bring one in.

If Faes had come in at £35m we would still think he was a bargain. Glover being here, and given enough control, nay just be looking at the list previously featured  on here.

21 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. he can look amazing but he can easily be negated, if you know about his shortcomings you can put him on the backfoot!!!

Getting wingers is not difficult,  the ones you have mentioned are not genuine attempts to fill the role. There are quality players outthere who we can bring in for the right-side, Leeds picked one up for under £25m, if you understand what is out there then we could bring someone in who will be what we are looking for. I really do not believe Rodgers really wants to bring one in.

If Faes had come in at £35m we would still think he was a bargain. Glover being here, and given enough control, nay just be looking at the list previously featured  on here.

Well OK, but I would suggest that his stats tell me that defenders are not finding it all that easy to negate him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, moore_94 said:

When he got 9 goals and 4 assists in the league that was after two-thirds of the season and he then had to miss the remaining 12 games due to injury.

With the goal contribution rate he was on that season in the league there is every reason to think he possibly could've added another 5+ goal contributions in that period if he wasn't injured and would've been close to 20 goal contributions in the league.

For however poor his decision making can be, he still picked up 10 assists last season in the league which was only bettered by Salah and Trent

If he was more consistent he wouldn't be playing for us and we would be lucky to pick up another winger for the right side who can put up numbers like him

Still think if he hadn't been injured that season we wouldn't have fallen off from CL spots, he was one of the last players holding us together he was on such good form at the time. 

• Like 2

Harvey's either 6th gear or a flat tire. Not a lot in between. You normally know after 10 mins, which your getting. For me his shortcomings are quite obvious. So if you can coach those out of him i.e. have a look up fella. There is a huge potential to improve. However I'm surprised the flat tire Barnes still repeats the same obvious errors. So either he's not listening to the coach or they're not saying the right things.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I love Harvey but his shooting just winds me up, the amount of times he's in a great position and either row zs it or trickles it in to the keepers hands seems to be 3 or 4 times a game. If his finishing was as good as the rest of his game he'd be lethal. 

Then there is the other side...

He scores..

Is often involved in creating pressure,that creates chances also for others....

One important stat that goes amiss, is the assist to the assist,thats where the ground work is done. 

Or like last night 3 goal,the direct assist.

The breakout and the timing of the pass...

I don't totally disagree, I suppose we would like to see him be more clinical, prolific and stop going down dead alleys.Though it's what players do,a mix of frustrating outcomes, & other times sublime movement..So long as we are creating and making the moves, we are playing a good game.

And yes I reckon Barnes could increase his tally a few more percent%.

John Barnes his L'pool namesake,seemed just as frustrating and wastefull...

Though I reckon Harvey has the slightly more positive turn-around..

I love Barnes, proper off your seat player when in full flow. He does have the tendency to have games where he is utterly atrocious though, and you can usually tell within the first 5 minutes of Harvey is going to have one of those.

People question his decision making, but he’s direct and sometimes that means he doesn’t take the safe option. I don’t see that as a bad thing, you need a mixture of risk taking and risk averse players in any team. For me, and it’s something that he could easily work on, it’s his off the ball movement, he rarely wants to spin in behind, he wants the ball at his feet before he drives forward. If he mixes that up more often then defenders won’t be able to handle him

Stats wise, it's crazy he's not in the England squad. Think of Saka and Maddison with more goals/assists from the midfielders and wingers since the start of last season, which included him taking 3/4 months to get up to speed. He's getting more consistent like he showed before that injury. Fingers crossed he keeps this up.

• Like 1

Obviously Perez's work in the build up was exceptional, but Barnes deserves a lot of credit for that goal also. Look at where he actually runs from, the burst of pace and the desire to get in behind was brilliant. Tidy low finish too. Also noticed today he seemed more willing to run at the full back, rather than consistently cutting back and laying back into LB or CM. That's when he's at his best.

Great to see him with his confidence back and hope he can keep it up, because when he's on form he's a huge asset to us, as he would be any team.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Stats wise, it's crazy he's not in the England squad. Think of Saka and Maddison with more goals/assists from the midfielders and wingers since the start of last season, which included him taking 3/4 months to get up to speed. He's getting more consistent like he showed before that injury. Fingers crossed he keeps this up.

It's hard to think of a winger type in the Premiership I'd sooner swap for Barnes. Saka? Almiron? Gray?? Nope.

Guest Col city fan

Genuinely think there could have been a slight shout for Harvey to go to the World Cup.

When ‘on it’ he must be a fookin nightmare for a RB to try to play against.

Hes more direct than Grealish and offers a different way of playing 

18 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Obviously Perez's work in the build up was exceptional, but Barnes deserves a lot of credit for that goal also. Look at where he actually runs from, the burst of pace and the desire to get in behind was brilliant. Tidy low finish too. Also noticed today he seemed more willing to run at the full back, rather than consistently cutting back and laying back into LB or CM. That's when he's at his best.

Great to see him with his confidence back and hope he can keep it up, because when he's on form he's a huge asset to us, as he would be any team.

Gets his head up and shoots early too, part of his finishing problem in his earlier days was because he’d shoot so late and the angle was too acute.