Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

At 25, I think the chance of Harvey learning some FIFA Street style tricks are long gone BUT can we please encourage someone to get closer to him?

Barnes is at his best in two scenarios -

1) Grass to run into at pace

2) Playing one touch give and goes (triangle passes etc) 

Yet, with no other pace up top, we play him in and then expect him to beat 1/2 defenders which isn’t what he’s been good at during his time here.

We may as well play Nacho up top and bemoan that he doesn’t rip all CB’s for pace like peak Vardy whilst we’re at it 🙈

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Off day today, but he still needs to play because we have no alternative. 

Not a good position to be in when players don't have to compete for their places. 

That might play a part in it, but the most obvious thing is that there's nobody on the opposite flank. 

Everything comes down his side. 

The amount of tactical analysis teams do nowadays, they just say "Keep Barnes quiet, we'll win"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Shows how poor the squad is that we can’t give him some time out which I think he needs.

Is it time out or some support by having another outlet? I mean I do think he holds the ball too long sometimes but all players have their foibles, and we don;t notice it as much when we're not trying to funnel everything through him to get forward.

Just now, FLAN said:

Not sure how lack of a right winger causes him to make poor decisions so often?

Without going on a 1,000 word rant to this.

In simple terms - his decision making is made A LOT harder as any opposition defenders know to double up on Barnes as he’s our only outlet.

Not excusing some of his decision making but folks on here saying to bin him off etc, genuinely scare me.

He’s been our best winger since Mahrez by a country mile and his numbers back that up.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

Without going on a 1,000 word rant to this.

In simple terms - his decision making is made A LOT harder as any opposition defenders know to double up on Barnes as he’s our only outlet.

Not excusing some of his decision making but folks on here saying to bin him off etc, genuinely scare me.

He’s been our best winger since Mahrez by a country mile and his numbers back that up.

We have no balance to the side.

Maybe I worded it wrong by saying another winger would make Barnes a better player...it would give him better opportunities to do what he's good at, because he'd have more time and space.

Maddison, Praet, Perez, or anyone else we currently have can't do that.

It's shoehorning a cm into a wingers position. It doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Eddo said:

Why are some of you acting like he was double teamed he lost every 1v1 against Trent Alexander Arnold 

Read what most comments from people not throwing Barnes in the bin state?

He has a poor game but those 1v1 with Trent that you reference were when we sprayed a long/direct ball for Barnes to run into with Trent then defending him perfectly.

However, shock horror, if we had a similar threat down the right then how Trent and other Liverpool defenders set up would mean that Barnes would be at his best when either directly running past his FB or having a team mate closer to play quick 1-2’s with.

He just seems very one dimensional. Don't get me wrong, his finishing has improved hugely, but when he runs at defenders, he just looks so un-threatening. Doesn't seem to have any 'skill' as such, just seems to run at defenders and hopes that he can just clatter & deflect his way through an impossible path.

Still, probably me being picky, I could think of a number of players i'd be changing and his name wouldn't come near to the list.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Shows how poor the squad is that we can’t give him some time out which I think he needs.

Lookman would have been the perfect option to get at Trent. Barnes was getting no joy so could have switched flanks or dragged him and Lookman would have had Trent dancing in circles. Such a missed opportunity for us not bringing him in permanently, very short sighted considering we now have funds to spend in Jan!

• Like 2

His 1v1 against TAA was quite embarrassing. I don’t get what he was doing, he had about 5 yards on him, then Barnes got closer and closer to him and then tries to knock it on the outside of him, he pretty much tackled himself! If you’re gonna do that Barnes do it when you’ve got space to run into!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Shows how badly the squad has been maamged going back several windows when we play 433 and only have one winger.

• Like 3