Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

His “potential” to do something is far outweighed by a complete lack of contribution to the team overall. Somehow he is indulged despite churning out shamefully poor performances week after week. 
I don’t think he will ever play at a level above Leicester. He doesn’t want it enough 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hammo said:

You didn’t see him against Liverpool or Fulham then?? For me his display was sadly all too predictable.

Tonight seemed worse to me, just didn’t look arsed at all

another one devoid of all confidence and badly out of form.  if only we had more than 1 winger in the squad to rotate him with or a manager that was willing to try another formation so Barnes can be dropped/rested

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

needs to be dropped, but we cant :(

Only times he's been dropped were in favour of Luckman who was far better at LW. BR actually admitted that the Luckman signing if happened would've been to put pressure on HB

Quality of squad when all/most fit has/had been crying out for progressive WBs a defensive 3

The side has been compromised in BRs obsession of accommodating HB. We have tried 14 (yes) options at RW to shoehorn HB into the side.

He's a great championship player as proved particularly at West Brom although was more direct there. A better manager may make a player out of him

• Like 1

We do miss Lookman. Barnes had barren spells last season as well, and Lookman was able to come on and in many cases change the game. Remember is was Lookman who scored in the 1-0 win over Liverpool and in the home game against Roma. 

Barnes really does look like he's not enjoying his football right now, and benching him would do the world of good. Don't know if its rumour or fact, but someone posted a while back that he and Brendan hadn't communicated well for some time. Heads dropped.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We do miss Lookman. Barnes had barren spells last season as well, and Lookman was able to come on and in many cases change the game. Remember is was Lookman who scored in the 1-0 win over Liverpool and in the home game against Roma. 

Barnes really does look like he's not enjoying his football right now, and benching him would do the world of good. Don't know if its rumour or fact, but someone posted a while back that he and Brendan hadn't communicated well for some time. Heads dropped.

That's strange as he seems to be a Rodgers favourite and is never dropped from the side even when it seems necessary.

8 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Only times he's been dropped were in favour of Luckman who was far better at LW. BR actually admitted that the Luckman signing if happened would've been to put pressure on HB

Quality of squad when all/most fit has/had been crying out for progressive WBs a defensive 3

The side has been compromised in BRs obsession of accommodating HB. We have tried 14 (yes) options at RW to shoehorn HB into the side.

He's a great championship player as proved particularly at West Brom although was more direct there. A better manager may make a player out of him

Why does a period of bad form mean he’s suddenly a ‘Championship Player’? He’s proven with the numbers he puts up that he is a quality, top Premier League wide player even if he is not elite (which is isn’t). As per the Daka thread, this is on the manager. It’s so surprising how many can’t see this!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

even his dad was having a go at him recently for being "...more interested in watches and cars than his football.....!"

Head seems to have been turned big time. 

Success  =  Talent + hard work

If true then it confirms the vibe I've got from him since the start of the season, his body language was different from previous seasons, like it was just a job to get done.

His ball control is no where near the level required to play short intricate passes and defenders have sussed him out and making easy work of him.

He needs to adapt his game or his numbers and effectiveness will continue to plummet.

I personally don’t think he has it in him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

even his dad was having a go at him recently for being "...more interested in watches and cars than his football.....!"

Surprised by this tbf always thought he was pretty grounded

All his mates are from school and he’s had the same girlfriend years

Never had him down as interested in the flash life

6 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

...he gets publicity berated by Rodgers from time to time!!!

After awhile it is going to affect the the way you approach the game. You either do your own thing and get bawled at by Rodgers or try to do what he has asked for and getting bawled out as well. In the end you look for the easy option, you can't win either way.

Watching him against Fulham, he seemed like someone who needs  direction and an answer to why he is so ineffective in games. He needs new ways to impact the game and because he is so easily read, opposition can nullify his game. 

Play his as a Forward or even as a #10, he needs to be more involved in games for a longer period. It is far too easy for him to become marginalised out wide.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Maybe he's not got a watch yet and saving up for his first car

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jmono84 said:

His ball control is no where near the level required to play short intricate passes and defenders have sussed him out and making easy work of him.

He needs to adapt his game or his numbers and effectiveness will continue to plummet.

I personally don’t think he has it in him.

Yep. He's a one trick pony. Full tilt at the defender or space and put the after burners on. In some instances that works really well. But get the ball to him slowly, or when heavily marked. He just runs into contact. Over & over again. Surely he needs to recognise the situation and recycle the ball and start again? He's beyond frustrating. What must it be like playing with him. 

• Like 2

I got criticised for saying he has peaked as a player but he really has. He can still be lethal against dodgy defending but against well organised defenders not so much. I still think we should play him as a pure striker. He has power and speed and that for me puts him above Daka. He will never defend properly and that is the aspect of his game that frustrates Rodgers so much. We need to accept his limitations but he still should make double figures most seasons and those goals are very important.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I got criticised for saying he has peaked as a player but he really has. He can still be lethal against dodgy defending but against well organised defenders not so much. I still think we should play him as a pure striker. He has power and speed and that for me puts him above Daka. He will never defend properly and that is the aspect of his game that frustrates Rodgers so much. We need to accept his limitations but he still should make double figures most seasons and those goals are very important.

I think you are spot on. I am slightly surprised that has not evolved. 18 months ago I was convinced that was Rogers long term plan. Namely down the centre ( our own Henry). But that plan never developed despite being tried in a couple of cup games. 

He’s been shocking since the WC (but who hasn’t) but please, please can Brendan mix it up for Harvey.

Try him on the right (even during the game) just switch it up.

He wasn’t getting any joy against Trippier and Burn gets booked…here’s an idea, switch it up and hit diagonals over Burns head for Barnes to run into.

• Like 3

It’s no coincidence that Barnes looks a shadow of a player post World Cup as we have gone back to Brendan Ball, 55 passes between the full backs, central defenders, CDM and goalkeeper before we attempt to play ball into the attacking area of the pitch, by which time the opposition are in a well drilled defensive structure and all our attackers are faced with zero space to manipulate and forced down cul-de-sacs. 

as soon as we play quickly, incisively and with purpose Barnes looks and is a real threat. Unfortunately our Manager is too stubborn and obsessed with his philosophy of controlling and dominating possession, which negates the strengths of so many of our squad  hence why they look devoid of confidence and so many are being questioned as to regression and whether they are good enough. 

like so many others in this squad, they are good enough if utilised in the right way. 

• Like 4