Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Just now, StanSP said:

Because it's played behind him. Vardy has had to stop his run forward, and his own momentum. That still picture paints a different picture, but not the whole one. 

If Barnes did want a 1-2, he could have still played a better ball. 

Agree, had to be faster and straight at Vardy, the fact it was behind totally removed all the momentum of the move

• Like 1

He was not as bad as most are making out on here. Proper scapegoat Harvey has become it seems.

Only Rashford and Almiron have more goals as wingers this season than Barnes btw. 

Edited by Munshi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Because in previous seasons he’s repeated scored and assisted for team-mates. You won’t find many wingers outside of the big six with his outputs

But then you can use the same argument for him being overconfident, he was less selfish and more about the team thus scored and assisted more. Also less defenders knew about his one move (try and nutmeg a player and run) tactic. Now everyone has cottened on. 

16 minutes ago, Munshi said:

He was not as bad as most are making out on here. Proper scapegoat Harvey has become it seems.

Only Rashford and Almiron have more goals as wingers this season than Barnes btw. 

We want more from him, he’s got the potential. Consistency please harvey, that will turn him into a top pl winger 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree 100%. Barnes is not perfect by any means but in our current state it puzzles me that people are so keen to call him out and want him dropped. Have I missed something or has he not scored 7 PL goals this season? 7 goals playing in a truly awful, demoralised team where he is one of only two goal threats (the other has just come back from 2 months out), allowing the opposition to focus most of their efforts in stopping him. Rashford, who is allegedly on great form, has 8 goals, and Almiron, in the form of his life, has 9. No other wide player has more goals than Harvey in the PL this season. We have way bigger problems elsewhere in the team. 

People are not keen to call him out at all. We all want him to succeed as “one of our own”, but we have all seen since the WC that he mis hits far more passes than a pro should, rarely takes his man on, when he does he rarely beats his man, had 2 great chances last week but didn’t hit the target, provides insufficient cover to the wingback/ left back, is weak in the tackle. Therefore , he is a passenger at the moment. Any right footed pro would have easily scored his goal yesterday.
Does any stats person on here have his passes attempted to passes completed from yesterday? It seemed really noticeable that he messed up most of his passes yesterday.

He needs dropping and a reset with focused coaching.

Edited by old koppite
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree, had to be faster and straight at Vardy, the fact it was behind totally removed all the momentum of the move

He needed to take another touch and get a bit further up the pitch before he made the pass. Massively lacking confidence. He was awful yesterday 

His decision making in that 2 v 1 chance was appalling. Imo he had to take one or two more touches, wait for Dunk to commit then pass or shoot as appropriate. 

I saw it as him trying to pass responsibility on to Vardy, something he's guilty of far too often when he's not in form. 

• Like 2

He’s becoming frustrating from his inconsistency. what makes it worse, he’s loads better than what he showed yesterday. A very confidence driven player, and that is his weakness. The team is t confident, his drains and he panics. And fully confident Barnes would have made more runs and took on players. If the team is poor he’s poor. 

the ability is there. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

He’s probably feeling the pressure from the crowd. 30 odd thousand people on your back week in week out can’t be helping. 

Agree with this too having a factor. He will definitely feel the pressure. 

the difference between a good player and a top player. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think once Kristiansen replaces Thomas, we’ll see a different Barnes 

My hope, too.

Kristiansen comes with a reputation of overlapping the winger and supporting the winger at the same time. And has a good engine on him. I hope it's a partnership that brings the best out of both of them. But Barnes' problem seems to be internally, as in, having belief in himself which is currently lacking. Maybe with a more assured left back that doesn't need as much cover defensively will take that responsibility away from Barnes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He is right out of vonfudence eso aftervthe Forrest game. 

Yesterday he was looking to pass when he could shoot.  

Yet he scored a good goal with a great finish.

He needs to build his confidence and be encouraged to shoot.  We can help by chanting his name when he shoots even if he misses... especially if he misses.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree 100%. Barnes is not perfect by any means but in our current state it puzzles me that people are so keen to call him out and want him dropped. Have I missed something or has he not scored 7 PL goals this season? 7 goals playing in a truly awful, demoralised team where he is one of only two goal threats (the other has just come back from 2 months out), allowing the opposition to focus most of their efforts in stopping him. Rashford, who is allegedly on great form, has 8 goals, and Almiron, in the form of his life, has 9. No other wide player has more goals than Harvey in the PL this season. We have way bigger problems elsewhere in the team. 

Look whilst I agree that stats matter,  you also have to look at the wider picture. How many more assists/goals COULD he have scored with the right pass or decision. Our biggest problem going forward is in the final 3rd we often either get dispossessed, place a bad pass or make a poor decision to shoot. MOST of the time that's through Barnes as he is the only "natural" winger we have. Especially over the last 4 games without Madders there making the "correct" decision. 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Look whilst I agree that stats matter,  you also have to look at the wider picture. How many more assists/goals COULD he have scored with the right pass or decision. Our biggest problem going forward is in the final 3rd we often either get dispossessed, place a bad pass or make a poor decision to shoot. MOST of the time that's through Barnes as he is the only "natural" winger we have. Especially over the last 4 games without Madders there making the "correct" decision. 

IMO that’s where an elite coach earns his money - improving the football intelligence of his attacker and building his confidence.

we haven’t seen enough players develop and improve.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

IMO that’s where an elite coach earns his money - improving the football intelligence of his attacker and building his confidence.

we haven’t seen enough players develop and improve.  

Honestly I'm just not sure. How can a coach improve the intellegence of a player? You can improve their talent and skill set. If a player is not so bright and lacks intelligence then their limit is their limit. Same as a school teacher, they can't make a child who doesn't have the capacity to be rocket scientist to be a rocket scientist no matter how good they are surely? But they can fulfil their potential. Possibly Barnes is at his peak footballing intelligence potential? 

With regards to confidence I've touched on that already. A low confidence player in that 2 on 1 situation with Vardy puts Vardy (our best striker) through on goal. Someone who wants the glory tries to play a 1-2...which is what he tried to do. Again the wrong decision. 

Edited by hejammy

It’s upto barnes. He can ignore the noise and distraction of poor form around him and still excell IF he really wants to.

the amount of chances he’s had he could have converted. He can be so much more and we all want hi to be more. Maybe cuz hes home grown? Irregardless the team needs him and we need him to convert those guilt edged chances atleast.

cmon lad sort it out! We saw in the second half he still has bags of potential.

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think once Kristiansen replaces Thomas, we’ll see a different Barnes 

That may be the case going forward....but I worry that Kristiansen may suffer the same way that Thomas has in terms of having no defensive help in front of and being exposed defensively.

4 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

That may be the case going forward....but I worry that Kristiansen may suffer the same way that Thomas has in terms of having no defensive help in front of and being exposed defensively.

From what I've seen Kristiansen is a better defender and has the physical attributes to cope.

• Like 1