Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Standard Barnes though isn't it, will hopefully have a moment where he is brilliant and everyone forgets how shit he is inbetween them. As long as he has that 'moment' you don't mind, but as I've said loads of times, he needs to improve his worst level if he ever wants to progress. Can't be great all the time but you can do basics right still. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Don't know why. But he just doesn't seem to want to (or possibly know how to) take people on. Only really gets in with one-twos.

its never been his game you put him into space running beyond the defender he's never going to be a Mahrez to take on a full back like that its just not in him

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Don't know why. But he just doesn't seem to want to (or possibly know how to) take people on. Only really gets in with one-twos.

He is basically a striker playing widish not a true winger , he hasn't got the quick feet and barely defends. We shouldn't pigeonhole him just because we have few if any other wide forwards. What he does do is score goals and we need them. We have a real problem with wide forwards which will need to be attended to. There remains a strong argument for playing wingbacks until the end of the season.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

He was so disappointing v Everton but he'll be a big player for us between now and the end of the season.

Don't see it. I can forego many of his flaws, especially under Rodgers when he was our only attacking outlet. But what I can't forgive is him not putting in the effort. I saw a lot of criticism for Iwobi from non match going fans on Twitter, but even with poor end product before the goal, he was everywhere defensively. Contrast to Barnes who left Thomas and the rest of the team out to dry the whole game.

I've not been disgusted in an individual performance like I was with Barnes last night for a while. He let 34 year old Seamus Coleman go time and time again, and didn't help the team at all. If you can't get in the game going forward then you have to do your job defensively. No surprise that another poor defensive displays occurs with him being in the side.

He was so poor yesterday. Didn’t really win any battles, made wrong passes and just looked not energised.

Praet should have been added earlier.  

He’s no Lloyd Dyer. Needs to be consistent to go to a bigger club. He can play well, but doesn’t show it enough and doesn’t work well under pressure 

Edited by fox_favourite

Infuriating as has potential to become on the England scene but he hasn't progressed in the past 2-3 years to become more consistent. It's usually obvious in the first 20 mins whether he'll have a good game or not 

Would be twice the player he is if he just played with anger and aggression. Hes probably the biggest wimp ive seen play for us in years. Soon as the game gets a bit physical he shits himself and goes into his shell. That 50/50 he pulled out of yesterday sums him up down to a tee, soft. In all the years ive seen him play i cant remember a single time hes got into an opposition players face. Needs to be using his attributes of pace and power to be going at his fullback relentlessly.  

Edited by South Shire Fox

Don't know why on nights like last night he isn't switched between left and right. It's like 2017 Mahrez with him, full backs know he's going to get to the edge of the box, cut inside, blast it. It's literally his only move. On the right he'd at least be going to the byeline and cutting it back as an option. Can be so brilliant but then so one dimensional from game to game.

• Like 3

I’m normally quite firm with my defence of Harvey but he was awful last night.

The lack of football brain jumps out for me, how he didn’t notice that Coleman was doubling up on Thomas with Iwobi is school boy stuff.

He had two options, 1) track back and frustrate Coleman/Iwobi or 2) as the home side demand the ball where Coleman has vacated and punish them for their tactics.

He did neither and made a LB who isn’t good enough the Prem look even more out of his depth in Thomas.

23 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Would be twice the player he is if he just played with anger and aggression. Hes probably the biggest wimp ive seen play for us in years. Soon as the game gets a bit physical he shits himself and goes into his shell. That 50/50 he pulled out of yesterday sums him up down to a tee, soft. In all the years ive seen him play i cant remember a single time hes got into an opposition players face. Needs to be using his attributes of pace and power to be going at his fullback relentlessly.  

Said exactly the same to my mate last week. When Barnes plays against  any slightly physical team he shits himself. Wouldn't be surprised if he sits on top of the Xmas tree at the Christmas party as he's a right fairy. He  will never be a top player as his decision  making is poor and the first sign of a battle he dissapears. Has his good moments but we are his level. Needs to grow a pair . Unfortunately  a football brain can't be tought at his age. 

14 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I’m normally quite firm with my defence of Harvey but he was awful last night.

The lack of football brain jumps out for me, how he didn’t notice that Coleman was doubling up on Thomas with Iwobi is school boy stuff.

He had two options, 1) track back and frustrate Coleman/Iwobi or 2) as the home side demand the ball where Coleman has vacated and punish them for their tactics.

He did neither and made a LB who isn’t good enough the Prem look even more out of his depth in Thomas.

Maybe he needs some managerial advice during games. Maybe through captain or manager to get the message to him asap. Bit like Mourinho did with Shaw at Man U. 

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

He was so disappointing v Everton but he'll be a big player for us between now and the end of the season.

They doubled up on him all game though didn't they.  This is the problem with not having a 2nd out and out winger.... The opposition can negate Barnes, because they don't have to worry about anyone on the opposite wing. 

5 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Maybe he needs some managerial advice during games. Maybe through captain or manager to get the message to him asap. Bit like Mourinho did with Shaw at Man U. 

Maybe but the fact someone who played at a level a million times lower as a winger knows that aspect of the game is the worry.

Barnes (all professional, particularly PL level) should have the basic grasp of knowing how a game is panning out and think what tweaks he needs to make in the moment.

Otherwise, are we saying that unless a FB plays into his hands that we just allow him to wander around, offer very little going forward and even less defensively in a 6 pointer with 4 games to go afterwards?

I’m normally a big fan of his but getting extremely fed up of him and all of our weak minded players if being honest.

20 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Maybe but the fact someone who played at a level a million times lower as a winger knows that aspect of the game is the worry.

Barnes (all professional, particularly PL level) should have the basic grasp of knowing how a game is panning out and think what tweaks he needs to make in the moment.

Otherwise, are we saying that unless a FB plays into his hands that we just allow him to wander around, offer very little going forward and even less defensively in a 6 pointer with 4 games to go afterwards?

I’m normally a big fan of his but getting extremely fed up of him and all of our weak minded players if being honest.

I agree but perhaps he had different instructions from the manager...e.g. stay up the pitch. Mahrez didn't do a lot of defensive duties. Who knows? 

2 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

I agree but perhaps he had different instructions from the manager...e.g. stay up the pitch. Mahrez didn't do a lot of defensive duties. Who knows? 

Then make yourself available for the ball in those positions.

There were numerous times last night when he actually drifted into positions that made a pass onto him impossible.

Make Coleman think “can I bomb on and leave the space” rather than he clearly felt that Barnes wasn’t a big enough threat going the other way.

Big issue with Barnes is when he's bad (like last night), he's awful.

Can't think of one thing he did right yesterday. Defensively he's so poor too.

At his best though, absolutely ruthless and can create a goal from nothing. We need that Harvey for the next 4 games.

3 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Then make yourself available for the ball in those positions.

There were numerous times last night when he actually drifted into positions that made a pass onto him impossible.

Make Coleman think “can I bomb on and leave the space” rather than he clearly felt that Barnes wasn’t a big enough threat going the other way.

True. He possibly needs some/more 1:1 coaching. For me I'd like to see a bit more devilment from him. When Vardy hit the bar Barnes was in a great position for a tap in if Vardy had squared it. Could Barnes have given Vardy a  bollocking?  Probably not in his character. Bit like the whole team. Way too nice imo. Ward did it to Ndidi though😆😆

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

I've never thought he was soft tbh... soft is Luke Thomas I think Barnes is quite aggressive and its probably due to the injury with not going in 110% into some challenges. 

He does seem to go missing some games though like last night.

8 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Someone posted the stats on this a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how few times he succeeds in taking people on. 

I've kept an eye on it during recent games and don't think I've seen him be successful once. If he could take people on he'd probably be at man city.

• Like 1