Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

30 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Here comes the asset strip. I’m sorry but there is no way a team with a virtually new starting 11 next season stays up. No chance. 

I don’t know, I’m hopeful there are three worse teams in the Championship next season mate 👀

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

If we stay up the club are not letting this happen. 

I can't picture Villa spending £60 million on a player. If they were to then I think their fans would expect it to be on someone a lot more experienced and proven than Harvey Barnes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I don’t know, I’m hopeful there are three worse teams in the Championship next season mate 👀

Hopefully. The last time we carried out as extensive a rebuild as this was under Micky. Martin Keown, Dion Dublin, Nathan Blake. And, the midfield maestro we chased all season in Gareth Williams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete52 said:

If Barnes goes, and Maddison and Tielemans, then we’re definitely going down next season. Might as well not bother. 

I do agree with this. We've got a dilemma here and it's entirely because we stunted our run of making a sale each summer.

We're now in a position where we're going to lose Tielemans for nothing, lose Soyuncu for nothing, have to sell Maddison because he has a year left - and then if we want to avoid a repeat of Maddison, we'd have to sell Barnes as well as he has two years left. But we're not going to be able to because that is just too big a hit for us to handle I think. We'd have to have our best window probably since summer 2015 to avoid the drop next season if we did this. So we're going to lose out on the premium for Barnes as well.

We really have blown it. We need substantial changes at this club regardless of division.

5 hours ago, Pete52 said:

If Barnes goes, and Maddison and Tielemans, then we’re definitely going down next season. Might as well not bother. 

We need money, so the only way we can do this is to sell sellable assets. Unfortunately, it’s what we need to do. If we stay up, it’s going to be a ****ing busy ass summer. And they can’t even break up, they’re going to have to be on it from the last whistle. 

I expect there to be two scenarios drawn up, with a selection of players ready to go for, and I expect the conversations to have already started.

• Like 1

I would imagine we are currently preparing for both scenario’s, if we stay up and if we were to go down, therefore certain players will be available in the event of us getting relegated and I imagine Barnes would be one. The trouble is because of where we are we are unable to negotiate new contracts with anyone as we cannot make commitments on wages. 

As soon as it was clear this season was a relegation scrap we lost any opportunity to try and negotiate with players such as Maddison and Barnes. 

If we can secure 100m+ for Madders and Barnes that will be a decent start in reducing the turnover deficit and will also be a massive chunk of wages off the books too. 

However we also have to ensure our recruitment is absolutely top drawer to ensure we bounce back 1st time with a squad that has the capability to at least compete in the premier league. This is summer is going to be huge for the club regardless of division. 

If we stay up we can't let him go. We need a right winger so it doesn't make sense to sell the main left winger too.

If we go down I sort of understand it.

• Like 4

If he isn’t signing a new contract then we have to sell whether we want to or not. 

We need to learn from our past mistakes. We can’t have another Maddison, Tielemans etc where we don’t make any/enough money from key players.

People are constantly forgetting why we’re in the mess we’re in. We need to go back to the model of buy, improve and sell. 60 million gets us 2 or 3 younger players who we can sell on for profit. I understand the worry that it could leave us severely depleted but that’s where our recruitment is key.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

If he isn’t signing a new contract then we have to sell whether we want to or not. 

We need to learn from our past mistakes. We can’t have another Maddison, Tielemans etc where we don’t make any/enough money from key players.

People are constantly forgetting why we’re in the mess we’re in. We need to go back to the model of buy, improve and sell. 60 million gets us 2 or 3 younger players who we can sell on for profit. I understand the worry that it could leave us severely depleted but that’s where our recruitment is key.

The only player we have added value to recently is Fofana. This so called model is unlikely to work now. Selling key players at the height of their value is never popular with the fans anyway. They screamed blue murder on here about Fofana.

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The only player we have added value to recently is Fofana. This so called model is unlikely to work now. Selling key players at the height of their value is never popular with the fans anyway. They screamed blue murder on here about Fofana.

It most definitely works but our scouting needs a revamp as been far from the lofty heights of previous.

Brighton have proven the model works, however, they’ve been a lot more proactive in South America and many other places.

Caicedo will go for silly money yet picked him up for peanuts, scarily they have another 3/4 sellable assets too.

23 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

So what should our plan be then? How do we generate transfer funds as a club? Top’s very clearly not willing to put any in.

We can’t just hang onto players and let them leave for nothing. We simply won’t be able to compete with anyone in the premier league (case in point, this season!). 

We’re going to have to improve our recruitment or go down, which we may well be doing anyway.

40 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

Bringing players through from the Academy would help or is that 100 mil spent on the training complex a proverbial white elephant ?

3 minutes ago, jerry said:

Bringing players through from the Academy would help or is that 100 mil spent on the training complex a proverbial white elephant ?

No you’re right! That’s exactly what we need to be doing, as well as selling those high value players when we need to. 

We’re yet to see any evidence of that working though :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Walkerfox said:

No you’re right! That’s exactly what we need to be doing, as well as selling those high value players when we need to. 

We’re yet to see any evidence of that working though :mellow:

Alves and Braybrooke surely need to be fast tracked to first team football or getting a loan to a Championship club (if we stay up).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

If we stay up the club are not letting this happen

I can't picture Villa spending £60 million on a player. If they were to then I think their fans would expect it to be on someone a lot more experienced and proven than Harvey Barnes.

Yeah agreed. 

Guest Mee-9

60m. 

Bloody hell. 

We'll be doing a Southampton next season, buy lots of new players. Most absolutely shite. 

56 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

It will work if players are bought from abroad or young players for lower prices that we develop. Big clubs will always be wanting the next best thing now and will pay. The only way that doesn’t work (if you get the recruitment right) is if players decide to run their contract down. Although this is happening more, there’ll be plenty who still make a big profit.