Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

No ta, we've got enough average wingers- the whole point is that we need someone who is clearly better than Gray and Albrighton.

I belong to the we don't need another winger/WB, group.  But if we did go for one they have to be well above any of these 2..I woud prefer another out and out striker...!! To fit in the 1st 14 team squad..meaning he will see alot of game-time equal to Vardy & Perez.

Ditto if we did happen to buy another

Winger.

I still believe we should carry on running with our "youth" & " fearless" ethos.

Unless something exceptional comes along Barnes,Albrighton,Gray with maybe Perez in that role,stay in that forefront.  I happen to like Townsend,he should of stayed at Spurs,and fought for his place!! After the bad injury,now he's become too much of a journeyman,playing a routine career out!!

Mind you  We won the league with journeymen...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ric Flair's £30-35m Wingers List

1) Brais Mendez (£22m release clause

2) Samuel Chukwueze

3) Ismaila Sarr

4) Hakim Ziyech (rumoured 35m euro release clause)

5) Suso (36m euro release clause)

6) Robert Skov

7) Andreas Skov Olsen

8) Mikel Oyarzabal

9) Florian Thauvin

10) Maxwell Cornet

11) Steven Bergwijn

12) Yannick Carrasco

13) Bertrand Traore

14) Bruma

15) Malcom

Then there's slightly less attainable players that would cost around the £35-50m which I personally think would be worth pushing the boat out for once we sell Maguire. Some may not fancy the gig, but it's Brendan we are talking about in charge, players won't stand a chance of not wanting it.

16) Hirving Lozano

17) Ante Rebic

18) Leon Bailey

19) David Neres

20) Cengiz Under

Get either Ziyech, Malcom, Bailey, Lozano or Thauvin and it’s change of pants time 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ric Flair's £30-35m Wingers List

1) Brais Mendez (£22m release clause

2) Samuel Chukwueze

3) Ismaila Sarr

4) Hakim Ziyech (rumoured 35m euro release clause)

5) Suso (36m euro release clause)

6) Robert Skov

7) Andreas Skov Olsen

8) Mikel Oyarzabal

9) Florian Thauvin

10) Maxwell Cornet

11) Steven Bergwijn

12) Yannick Carrasco

13) Bertrand Traore

14) Bruma

15) Malcom

Then there's slightly less attainable players that would cost around the £35-50m which I personally think would be worth pushing the boat out for once we sell Maguire. Some may not fancy the gig, but it's Brendan we are talking about in charge, players won't stand a chance of not wanting it.

16) Hirving Lozano

17) Ante Rebic

18) Leon Bailey

19) David Neres

20) Cengiz Under

Watched quite a bit of the AFCON and Chukwueze looked frightening, he'd be a great signing and someone Rodgers would work wonders with in terms of developing.

Some tasty looking options there, Sarr, Oyarzabal, Carrasco (apparently his club only want £25m for him), Lozano and Bailey.

Any of Ziyech, Bergwijn, Neres or Under would be quite a coup but can see them being very hard to obtain.

• Like 2

Nice list @Ric Flair!

What did you make of Perez last night? I thought he looked mint and was pleasantly surprised by how quickly he integrated into the structure of the team. He got into goal scoring positions multiple times and the goal was exactly what Rodgers will want out of his wingers, Ricardo with the overlap for the width, crossed it in and first time clinical finish by Perez.

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to another winger from the list above, but seeing the way he played made me a lot more comfortable about the season ahead.

• Like 3

Surely any upgrade on Ghezzal or Gray shouldn't be sniffed at and will strengthen the team no end? Townsend knows the league so no bedding in required has decent end product and will track back which will allow Pereira to overlap  all day long. What's not to like especially if we could get him at a decent price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Depends on the price really he's not a bad player but wouldn’t  want to spend silly money on him . 

Agree with this, Townsend for circa £20m would be value imo, would be an upgrade on anything out wide you guys have at present even if he isn't as box office as some of the names on the list.

• Like 3

If Townsend is available for £20million, then this makes more sense. It's an upgrade on our current wingers. He has Premier League experience and has good stats for a winger. Perhaps this is a firm plan B if we don't get a more exciting, expensive deal over the line with another target or two. Smart planning if so. 

• Like 1

It probably doesn't hurt that Townsend seems to be very well-liked everywhere he's played.  With so many young players I would imagine not adding any veterans likely to be disruptive influences is at least a factor.

3 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

No ta, we've got enough average wingers- the whole point is that we need someone who is clearly better than Gray and Albrighton.

Exactly.

We have Albrighton as Mr Reliable.

Barnes can be something special.

Perez we've just spent £30m on

Gray who is still around and although my hope for him is seriously on the wane there might be a player in there. 

Townsend adds very little to our already bunch of average PL wingers. Either get in someone a level above or stick with what we've got. I've no idea what goes through peoples heads when we bring in another player in their mid to late 20's who is no better than what we have for big money. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

If Townsend is available for £20million, then this makes more sense. It's an upgrade on our current wingers. He has Premier League experience and has good stats for a winger. Perhaps this is a firm plan B if we don't get a more exciting, expensive deal over the line with another target or two. Smart planning if so. 

I'm just against signing mediocrity for big money.

When we signed Hernandez on a free I wasn't against that. I supported the Zieler and Diabate signing as well as he was cheap and filled a role even though both of these players turned out to be not good enough. 

I won't even complain about the Iheanacho signing as this is the sort of profile I want my club to sign although in hindsight I believe we signed him on reputation and stats and the reason Man City sold him was they knew he was lacking in areas of his game.

Signing the likes of Townsend is just a waste of resources on a player that won't improve us. I'm not saying he is a bad player by any means but he just doesn't improve us. I'd rather go with the wingers we already have and save that money for another player to sign. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Depends entirely on the fee as others have said. I'd be pretty unhappy paying much more than we paid for Perez on Townsend, IMO he's hardly a notable upgrade on anything we currently have, but he's a solid enough wide man with goals in him who had a good season last year and is just coming into his peak years.

£40m or less, yes. Any more, no.

6 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Depends entirely on the fee as others have said. I'd be pretty unhappy paying much more than we paid for Perez on Townsend, IMO he's hardly a notable upgrade on anything we currently have, but he's a solid enough wide man with goals in him who had a good season last year and is just coming into his peak years.

£40m or less, yes. Any more, no.

That would be far too much for Townsend imo, I was talking about him on the basis you's get him for circa £20m.

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

That would be far too much for Townsend imo, I was talking about him on the basis you's get him for circa £20m.

EPL market tho innit :plancque:

• Haha 1