Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LutterworthLCFC

Climbs/Walks

Not sure if there’s a thread on this already.

Has anyone Ben Nevis? If so, I’m doing it in a few weeks and wondered where’s ideal place to stay. 

So far my plan is to stay in an Airbnb close to fort William, not sure if that would be a too long of walk to the summit?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

When I've done it before we drove from Fort William and parked at the Ben Nevis visitor centre. Looks like the visitor centre is a couple of miles from Fort William. So it's not too far to walk - but would add another 3/4 miles total on to your day!

Ps. I think the parking machines there only took cash, but this was a few years ago now.

Edited by Magictv

6 hours ago, LutterworthLCFC said:

Has anyone Ben Nevis? If so, I’m doing it in a few weeks and wondered where’s ideal place to stay. 

So far my plan is to stay in an Airbnb close to fort William, not sure if that would be a too long of walk to the summit?

As has been suggested, Fort William. It's a bit of a dump, but the surrounding scenery is captivating. I used to alpine climb, but have bagged many Munros and Wainwrights over the years (sounds very dubious). Only done Nevis the once though as part of the Three Peaks Challenge, so out of the back of a van. If you are doing it in June be aware that the car parks are full of these and the main route up the mountain very busy at this time of year due to "Three Peakers". Mid morning is a therefore good time. I hope the weather holds for you because the view is magnificent. There will still be a lot of snow on the summit. 

• Like 1

If the conditions are good look up the route via the CMD arête - takes you off the tourist trail and provides amazing views of the north face, plus some pretty cool scrambling over the narrow ridge connecting you to the final summit slope. Very highly recommended and as long as you are reasonably confident hiker gives you a fantastic full day out (coming back via the usual trail).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LutterworthLCFC said:

At home mate ..  and crack open a bottle of beer ! ...   :)

Used to love a climb ...   but the knees are half fooked now so its walks only .....   hope it goes well ...  good luck !! ..  and enjoy !

Youth hostel right at the foot of the main and easiest route up Ben Nevis, which will also have the latest weather warnings and advice on hand. Plenty of camp sites too. On a good day, Ben Nevis is quite an easy, if long, walk. People do die on Ben Nevis, but it's usually on the north face, which is serious climbers territory.

Walked it three times, once as part of Three Peaks (though it too is us two days - to do it in 24 hrs you need a driver who isn't walking the mountains, which we didn't have) and last time was two years ago, when they were making extensive repairs to the path, so should be good now. 

Fort William isn't big and sits literally at the foot of Ben Nevis. Last time we stayed in a cottage on the edge of Fort William and literally walked out, crossed road, over bridge and we were on the path.

Wear good boots, waterproofs, warm clothing that can be easily stowed away (I got real bad sunburn doing it once! lol), energy snacks (Kendall Mint Cake :thumbup:) and of course water. There's a waterfall roughly halfway up where you refill your water and possibly cool off its you're lucky to get a warm day. I could say take a map and compass, but you really shouldn't need to (I only did the first time) just follow everyone else. The top is a plateau so once you're just over 3/4 of the way there, you'll see the trig point at the summit in the distance and the ruins of the old observatory.

All the best and enjoy. It's totally worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If any of you are ever in Glasgow.... 

If you are not going to do Ben Nevis, you could do Ben Lomond, which is much nearer to Glasgow and accessed via Rowardennan car park  G63 0AR -  amazing views. 

Also, half an hour away from Glasgow, try out Whitelee wind farm.  G76 0QQ.

I went for a run up there for the first time last week and there are 80 miles of paths underneath the massive wind turbines, offering views both back to Glasgow a down towards the coast and over to the Isle of Arran. 

Edited by Vacamion

34 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Youth hostel right at the foot of the main and easiest route up Ben Nevis, which will also have the latest weather warnings and advice on hand. Plenty of camp sites too. On a good day, Ben Nevis is quite an easy, if long, walk. People do die on Ben Nevis, but it's usually on the north face, which is serious climbers territory.

Walked it three times, once as part of Three Peaks (though it too is us two days - to do it in 24 hrs you need a driver who isn't walking the mountains, which we didn't have) and last time was two years ago, when they were making extensive repairs to the path, so should be good now. 

Fort William isn't big and sits literally at the foot of Ben Nevis. Last time we stayed in a cottage on the edge of Fort William and literally walked out, crossed road, over bridge and we were on the path.

Wear good boots, waterproofs, warm clothing that can be easily stowed away (I got real bad sunburn doing it once! lol), energy snacks (Kendall Mint Cake :thumbup:) and of course water. There's a waterfall roughly halfway up where you refill your water and possibly cool off its you're lucky to get a warm day. I could say take a map and compass, but you really shouldn't need to (I only did the first time) just follow everyone else. The top is a plateau so once you're just over 3/4 of the way there, you'll see the trig point at the summit in the distance and the ruins of the old observatory.

I would take them anyway but only if you know how to use them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Buce said:

I would take them anyway but only if you know how to use them.

Thanks, I was going to say that (so many people don't, especially in our app driven society), but my wife had put dinner out and I got distracted.

58 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

If any of you are ever in Glasgow.... 

If you are not going to do Ben Nevis, you could do Ben Lomond, which is much nearer to Glasgow and accessed via Rowardennan car park  G63 0AR -  amazing views. 

Also, half an hour away from Glasgow, try out Whitelee wind farm.  G76 0QQ.

I went for a run up there for the first time last week and there are 80 miles of paths underneath the massive wind turbines, offering views both back to Glasgow a down towards the coast and over to the Isle of Arran. 

Views of Glasgow you say?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, pds said:

Any good walks in Leicestershire? My knees aren't great so can't do much running and don't have a bike. Trying to get a bit of exercise. Have done Wistow to Glen Parva along the canal.

The opposite direction is best - Wistow to Foxton and because it's flat it'll be easy on the knees; 8 miles each way, mind. It's a nice, peaceful walk that's only crossed by five country lanes, so there are long stretches where you don't see anybody at all. The views are great and Foxton Locks is a lovely place to stop and have your lunch - I take a pack up but there's a cafe and a couple of pubs if you prefer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Thanks, I was going to say that (so many people don't, especially in our app driven society), but my wife had put dinner out and I got distracted.

No worries.

Apps are great but you can't rely on them; anyway, I'm a bit old school when it comes to navigation - there's something very satifying about using map and compass. :)

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I use navigator doesn't need data as downloads all maps to the phone and has walking paths, bridleways etc marked out.

Saved me a few times....

All well and good till you drop your phone or your battery dies.

Just now, Buce said:

All well and good till you drop your phone or your battery dies.

Yes indeed I prefer maps and the like but sometimes when out with the kids in a place where we're only there for the day it's cheaper as easier to have the phone handy. 

Map reading is a skill we should all know. Especially if we lose GPS after brexit. :ph34r:

53 minutes ago, Buce said:

The opposite direction is best - Wistow to Foxton and because it's flat it'll be easy on the knees; 8 miles each way, mind. It's a nice, peaceful walk that's only crossed by five country lanes, so there are long stretches where you don't see anybody at all. The views are great and Foxton Locks is a lovely place to stop and have your lunch - I take a pack up but there's a cafe and a couple of pubs if you prefer.

Yeah I've done that before in the past too. Dad is from Fleckney so spend a fair amount of time in that area. I'm alright with hills etc. Still play football every now and again but it's just the higher impact that messes them up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pds said:

Yeah I've done that before in the past too. Dad is from Fleckney so spend a fair amount of time in that area. I'm alright with hills etc. Still play football every now and again but it's just the higher impact that messes them up.

There are some really nice sections of the Leicestershire Round:

https://leicestershirefootpaths.wordpress.com/32-short-walks-using-the-leicestershire-round/

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Sounds like you stayed at the same bunk house I did, right at the foot of the mountain with a nice beer garden round the back? Though the beds are terrifying lol about 8ft high, no sides and a concrete floor to wake you up should you roll out lol 

I did it as part of the 3 peaks, I’d recently ran a marathon and was quite fit and after trying to calm a miserable forest fan who’s boots were falling apart lost my other mates but somehow done it with enough time enjoy a good hour and half In said beer garden before they joined me. :beer:

• Like 1

I went to a wedding on a/the loch at fort William, views were breathtaking, especially as church doors opened and the windswept bride was blown in by the howling wind and the slanting downpour blowing over the loch outside. Can’t remember the name of the hotel but it was right on the loch too, very nice. 

On 07/06/2019 at 19:32, pds said:

Any good walks in Leicestershire? My knees aren't great so can't do much running and don't have a bike. Trying to get a bit of exercise. Have done Wistow to Glen Parva along the canal.

Rutland Water peninsula, about 6 miles, circular.

Bampton Valley way is a kind of paved disused railway line starting from Harborough, but linear.

A little bit further, Pitsford Water is nice, 7 miles circular.

Foxton to Laughton is a personal favourite including some canal towpaths, about 7 miles.

I used to just get local OS maps and make long circular walks by joining up footpaths.  The dogs are getting too old for it now sadly and although I love walking, it just seems wrong without a dog by my side.

• 3 weeks later...