Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

Just now, henrik_62 said:

As in you pay us to take him off your hands?! :P

Tbqh mate, he'd absolutely monster the SPL. 

I maintain he got unlucky here really, he's a victim of Vardy's success. He was excellent in Portugal, has solid champions league experience, is physical and loves a contest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

He absolutely would.

If you watch Celtic at all then you'd know he absolutely wouldn't.  Ntcham (when he can be arsed), McGregor, Christie, Rogic, Brown all far better players than him.  Even the guys we've sold are better than him, e.g. Armstrong.

We're talking about a guy who couldn't get into the Derby team last season, a Derby midfield containing Craig Bryson who played for Kilmarnock in his time up here and who has now signed for Aberdeen.

Edited by henrik_62

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbqh mate, he'd absolutely monster the SPL. 

I maintain he got unlucky here really, he's a victim of Vardy's success. He was excellent in Portugal, has solid champions league experience, is physical and loves a contest. 

Yeah I know what you mean he'd probably be well suited to the game up here.  Would obviously be a complete non-starter though given his wages and I'd also question if someone like him still has the hunger.

Big thing that seems to have went against him at Leicester is his price tag and that's not his fault tbf.

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

If you watch Celtic at all then you'd know he absolutely wouldn't.  Ntcham (when he can be arsed), McGregor, Christie, Rogic, Brown all far better players than him.  Even the guys we've sold are better than him, e.g. Armstrong.

I have watched you a bit and seen many of those players a lot.

You're a massive club and I don't want to be disrespectful but you have to appreciate that by and large the standard you're up against on a regular basis is League 1 level. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

I have watched you a bit and seen many of those players a lot.

You're a massive club and I don't want to be disrespectful but you have to appreciate that by and large the standard you're up against on a regular basis is League 1 level. 

I'd say that's an exagerration, most of the teams we face are probably lower championship level, quite a few players from our league who don't necessarily stand out go down and have very good careers in the championship for example, guys like Bryson, Russell, Adam and countless others.  It's nowhere near the level of the EPL but it's not league 1 either.

Guys like Rogic, Ntcham, McGregor and Christie will be soon are being linked with £10-15m moves away, you guys can't seem to give King away.  I've seen quite a bit of him and he'd be lucky to make our bench tbh and there is absolutely no way he'd be anywhere near our strongest 11 when everyone is fit, if you genuinely believe that then despite what you say you can't have watched Celtic much at all.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'd say that's an exagerration, most of the teams we face are probably lower championship level, quite a few players from our league who don't necessarily stand out go down and have very good careers in the championship for example, guys like Bryson, Russell, Adam and countless others.  It's nowhere near the level of the EPL but it's not league 1 either.

Guys like Rogic, Ntcham, McGregor and Christie will be soon are being linked with £10-15m moves away, you guys can't seem to give King away.  I've seen quite a bit of him and he'd be lucky to make our bench tbh and there is absolutely no way he'd be anywhere near our strongest 11 when everyone is fit, if you genuinely believe that then despite what you say you can't have watched Celtic much at all.

To be fair, I think King would do a turn for you. 

I think hes very underrated and to be quite honest, I dont think a fit Andy King is a million miles away from our squad so I'm not being disrespectful to Celtic at all. 

If it was me, I would start Rogic and when hes inevitably blowing out his arse after 60/70 mins, bring on King. Between the two, you would have a top quality no.10 for 90 mins. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t mean as a straight swap obviously. Do you not think they’d be good enough for the Celtic first 11?

I will let know after I watch Celtic tonight in Sarajevo.  

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

King gets nowhere near Celtic's team ffs

Got to agree with this. I love Kingy as much as the next Leicester fan but the guy is a Championship-level footballer really. If you were being cynical you'd say he's done very well for himself contracts-wise in his career. It pays to be a superb professional! He'd have no chance of getting into Celtic's side. Not sure he'd get a game at Rangers either tbh.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

He's scored goals and put in man of the match performances against the likes of Bayern Munich, Zenit, Monchengladbach, etc, etc.

Every signing is a risk, McGregor is no more of a risk, probably less than blowing £20m on someone like Silva who has been a total flop and has no resale value and who is on a wage no one else will pay him.

I'd trust Rodgers judgement on this one given he worked with the player day in day out for nigh on three years, that in itself reduces the risk significantly.

But he is not in the same class as either of Maddison or Tielemans  (both 22) so why waste 15m+ on another 26 Year old benchwarmer?  We have enough of those already that need shifting out, plus we have other priorities in the striker department.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think hes very underrated and to be quite honest, I dont think a fit Andy King is a million miles away from our squad so I'm not being disrespectful to Celtic at all. 

If it was me, I would start Rogic and when hes inevitably blowing out his arse after 60/70 mins, bring on King. Between the two, you would have a top quality no.10 for 90 mins. Lol. 

He is no longer anywhere near good enough for our squad, hence him being out on loan. Have you watched us recently?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Christie is ahead of Rogic in our side now, he’ll be the next one to go for big money in a couple of years, absolutely dominated the RB Leipzig midfield last season in the EL. After that we’ve got Rogic and then the next option would be to move McGregor into that position so I’d say King would be what fourth choice in that position for us, that’s why I have doubts he’d even get on our bench and definitely not the first 11.

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

But he is not in the same class as either of Maddison or Tielemans  (both 22) so why waste 15m+ on another 26 Year old benchwarmer?  We have enough of those already that need shifting out, plus we have other priorities in the striker department.

I agree you could defo spend the money better at the moment in terms of a wide player. 

Like I also said earlier I don’t think he’d be a first choice in any position either for you guys but if you had cash spare he’d be a great option to rotate any of the midfield players and would be an accomplished performer. Because of his versatility he’d probably play a fair chunk of games throughout the season.

If this does happen, it would make sense for the type of formations BR has liked in the past and allows versatility with a 433, a diamond or even 352 which he's played in the past too.  

I can see him putting Maddison and Perez and tucked in wingers up top or just behind Vardy, he then has Ndidi as the destroyer, Tielmans as the "Gerrard" or Sigurdsson and McGregor as the box to box engine (aka Joe Allen).  

It does maybe stymie Hamza a little, but maybe let's him get more game time and progress in over the season - especially if we need more passing presence, he could come in for Wilf, and as shown in the U21s, he still can be a little rash.  Same for Harvey, bring him in more as impact as Madders tires or we need some more pace.  He is happy to develop youngsters but we need some more mature players and CMcG is nearing his peak at 26 - so would give us balance (even YT looked off it sometimes last season - but hoping that was fitness, and a full pre-season will help that). 

MAYBE WE WILL ALSO GO FOR A CUP!!!  

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Perhaps he's looking for someone more capable on the ball than N'didi for those games that we are expecting to dominate. I can understand the logic, when we are 1-0 down to a lower level side, it is frustrating having Wilf on the pitch sometimes. 

But we have Choudhury for that scenario.

• Like 2