Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coalvillefox

This season vs Man City 2009-2010

So this is promising to be an exciting season for the club with a real sense of something special in the air. So lets compare the feeling around the club, the quality of the squad and the financial stability of the club vs what you might describe as Man City's breakthrough season when they went from mid-table mediocrity in 2008-2009 to finishing 5th in 2009-2010 and never really looked back from there. How close are we to replicating what Man City have achieved from 2008 on wards?

image.png.acf237719f4dbfc8b245cc5ad25592cc.png

• Thanks 1

Not even close.

Look at where Man City & Liverpool are and look at how they've continued to strengthen thanks to spending way more than we probably ever will. 

They have ridiculously good squads. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just because our squad is only just taking shape!

It's a promising window so far and we do have some very good talents in the squad. But one step at a time! Breaking in to the top 6 won't be easy but it certainly appears easier than it ever has done before with how Arsenal & Utd seem to be faltering...

I really think we are living in a time since when we won the league where it's most possible to break the top six.

Arsenal and Utd really aren't that great any more and see most vulnerable. City and Liverpool are light years ahead tho

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Let's not get carried away. 

No one's getting carried away. I am not saying we are on a par with Man City in 2009, simply asking how close we feel we are and how much further we need to go to get there and what it might take!?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

No one's getting carried away. I am not saying we are on a par with Man City in 2009, simply asking how close we feel we are and how much further we need to go to get there and what it might take!?

About £1.3 billion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

You said how close are we to replicating Man City from 2008/9 on wards.

The simple answer is not at all. Not even on close levels to them. 

We are a very long way from their achievements in the past 10 years and it's silly to even consider it, really.

55 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

I really think we are living in a time since when we won the league where it's most possible to break the top six.

Arsenal and Utd really aren't that great any more and see most vulnerable. City and Liverpool are light years ahead tho

Can't argue with this.

The 'Top 6', as it were, is just a myth nowadays and you can split that up even more. We have a clear top 2 in Liverpool/ManC, Spurs in the 'mid-tier', then Arsenal and United in the 'lower-tier' and at risk if one of the 'challengers' can make a good go of it. Chelsea in either of the latter dependent on how Lampard does. 

Success like Man City's isn't really attainable for us as the standard at the top has increased massively from what it was when they broke onto the scene, and we're not being bankrolled in the same way as they were. Comparable success for us would be to consistently challenge the top 4, which isn't outside the realms of possibility but rather than getting carried away we need to focus on the current target of Top 6.

Man City and Liverpool are streets ahead of everyone else that I'd lean more towards calling them a "top two". Spurs and Arsenal both lose lots of games but mainly win their home games. If the league had two more good sides I don't think either North London club would be near the top 4. It'll be interesting to see how Manchester United and Chelsea get on this season.

But the key is winning home games. Arsenal lost most of their away games last season but finished where they did because of home performances/results. We can't afford to be losing to Palace/Southampton/Newcastle etc this season.

Lets just take it one game at a time, jeez, we haven't even sorted out the scapegoats for 2019/20 season yet. It's a good looking squad on paper thus far, expectations are high, but so were they after we spent big in the Slimani gate transfer window.

Edited by norwichfox
  • Like 2

Woah there!! I think a lot of people need to reel it in a bit. Yes we are having a fantastic window, but let’s not forget we were ripping Wolves apart for getting excited last summer. We have a great squad on paper (still cluttered with a few that need to move on), but nothing is achieved on paper. This is still going to be a big challenge, let’s not take it as given it’s going to happen and fall flat on our arses. As a famous Italian once said, one game at a time, slowly slowly! Yes let’s be excited, but crow about cracking the top six when it’s looking likely or we’ve actually done it ?????

6 hours ago, coalvillefox said:

You’re definitely getting carried away.