Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Not an ex player, but ex manager. Even though he took us down to League One, I find it hard not to like Holloway. Clip from an interview about raising deaf children.

Comes across as a good bloke. Bit mad as a manager but he certainly did not take us down through lack of effort

We’ve had Diabate pop up in the conference league this season. 

Another ex City player tonight. Well 2. Max Gradel got the opening goal for Sivasspor away at Slavia Prague. Slavia equalised and Sivasspor’s answer for a winner? Ahmed Musa on as a sub. He didn’t though. Finished 1-1

Edited by CosbehFox

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11389691/Demarai-Gray-opens-battle-mental-health-spells-Bayer-Leverkusen-Leicester.html

Everton winger Demarai Gray opens up on his battle with mental health in spells at Bayer Leverkusen and Leicester... as the Toffees star praises Rafa Benitez for getting him 'enjoying football again'
Demarai Gray has shared how he used to struggle with mental health problems
The winger joined Bayer Leverkusen in 2021 following a tricky spell at Leicester
Gray admitted he used to 'suffer breakdowns' during his time at the King Power
He subsequently questioned his existence whilst at Leverkusen for six months 

By BEN WILLCOCKS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 09:30, 4 November 2022 | UPDATED: 09:34, 4 November 2022

Demarai Gray has opened up about the 'toxic thoughts' that consumed him during his time at Leicester and Bayer Leverkusen.

A former England youth prospect and Premier League winner with Leicester in 2016, Gray struggled to carve out a fruitful career at the King Power and subsequently moved to Germany in January 2021.

The 26-year-old stayed at Leverkusen for six months — before joining Everton on a free transfer in the summer — and has now confessed that he used to suffer from poor mental health before arriving at Goodison Park.

Demarai Gray has admitted that he used to 'suffer breakdowns' during his time at Leicester

'I remember a time when I messaged my uncle and said, "What's my purpose?",' Gray told The Athletic.

'Do you know what I mean? Like, "What am I doing?". Bad situations going on. Past traumas. 

'It’s a phase, a mental bubble where the toxic thoughts override and consume your thought process.'

Despite his struggles, Gray kept a lid on his feelings throughout his time at Leicester and Leverkusen.

The winger moved to Bayer Leverkusen in 2021 and continued to battle with his mental health

He explained: 'I had low moments and low thoughts but no one would think it. I could have the lowest of low thoughts but you’d see me the next day and think, "Dimi’s cool, Dim’s just Dim". 

'When you get into those lows it’s like a devil trying to get in your head and make you think negatively about life.'

Towards the end of his five-year spell at Leicester, the winger was starting to lose hope of breaking into the first team and has revealed he used to break down as a result.

The 26-year-old has emerged a pivotal player for Everton under Frank Lampard this campaign

Gray continued: 'I’d suffer breakdowns. You hit the point where inside you feel like you’ve got nothing left mentally.'

'Going to training, getting through sessions like I’m not even there. I’m there, obviously, but it’s like I’m not present. My mind is elsewhere.'

After moving to Everton, Gray forged an excellent relationship with ex-Toffees boss Rafa Benitez, who controversially took over at Goodison Park having formerly managed archrivals Liverpool.

The Everton star admitted he played some of his best football under Benitez, mainly because the Spaniard believed in him. 

Gray is 'grateful' to former Toffees head coach Rafa Benitez for showing faith in him at Everton

Gray said: 'I’m grateful for him. He had faith in me, he wanted me at the club, he made that clear and I think for any player, first and foremost, it’s who you’re playing for and what the manager wants and thinks of you.

'I enjoyed my time with him. He is a good guy… loves to talk! He’s a passionate man. I played some of my best football under him. 

'He gave me a sense of freedom and made me feel a valuable member of the squad. That was important for someone like me and the way I am as a player.'

• Thanks 1

Tommy Wright II is now captain of Britain's national police team 

A former Premier League and England youth star who hung up his boots to become a cop has made his footballing comeback as captain of Britain's national police team.

Ex-Leicester City star PC Tommy Wright signed up as a student officer in 2020 after his professional football career came to an end. The 38-year-old helped The Foxes back to the Premier League in the 2002/2003 season before playing for Barnsley, Brentford, Blackpool and Aberdeen.

More here - https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-star-police-captain-28434466

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12741578/andrej-kramaric-interview-leaving-leicester-city-to-become-a-bundesliga-sensation-and-a-hoffenheim-legend - Includes video of some of his goals

Andrej Kramaric interview: Leaving Leicester City to become a Bundesliga sensation and a Hoffenheim legend
"It is better to be first in the village than second in the town"; Hoffenheim striker Andrej Kramaric reveals how he has found his calling as the Bundesliga club's all-time top scorer after his learning experience at Leicester City as they made Premier League history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ecdysiast said:

How on earth did this man not work out for us??

He never looked any good for us? It happens.

He probably needed more time but it was the wrong time given how well the others were playing. I still think he could have played the second striker role behind Vardy in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No pace, no strength. 

By his own admission he wasn’t  fully fit and I'm pretty sure you need strength at least to compete in the Bundesliga.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 16:42, Ecdysiast said:

How on earth did this man not work out for us??

His assets weren't those that ranieri used when he arrived.  he wasn't really up to speed under nigel. (although his performance at the emirates when we lost late on was notable).

he would have thrived here a few years later once we began playing through the thirds.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 08:43, Fox92 said:

He never looked any good for us? It happens.

He probably needed more time but it was the wrong time given how well the others were playing. I still think he could have played the second striker role behind Vardy in time.

He looked incredible whenever I watched him play for us. His control of the ball was second only to Mahrez.

People took a dislike to him because he tried a few chips which was really weird, I expect you being an "old school" type was one of those people :D 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

He looked incredible whenever I watched him play for us. His control of the ball was second only to Mahrez.

People took a dislike to him because he tried a few chips which was really weird, I expect you being an "old school" type was one of those people :D 

I thought his touch was good. But as I said in my second line, I could see him playing off Vardy in time. Shame we never saw that but lets be honest Vardy/Okazaki partneship quite ritghtly wasn't broken up and was beyond sublime for us.

Players don't work out, it happens. Wrong time I guess.