Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

http://sportwitness.co.uk/difficult-bear-psychologically-player-says-transfer-leicester-city-manager-treatment-worst-point-career/

“Difficult to bear psychologically” – Player says transfer to Leicester City and manager treatment was worst point of career

Those who followed Adrien Silva’s transfer from Sporting to Leicester City back in 2017 surely remember how dramatic it was.

With the move not finalised before the deadline, the midfielder had to wait for six months until he could finally play for his new club.

This story was now recalled in the Portuguese media, as Silva was interviewed by the 1 Para 1 podcast, and the quotes are brought by Record.

He brought many details of how that happened, and made it clear there are still some hard feelings lingering.

“I think it must have been the most negative point in my career. I don’t think I ever told anyone publicly. I was in the national team at the time and I thought it wasn’t going to happen. Then I got a call to travel [to England] as soon as possible, because there was one day left. And I had to ask Fernando Santos for authorisation. I had promised the manager that I would train the next morning and that’s what happened. I had to travel through the night without sleeping and I trained, just as I had promised. But then the worst happened. Realising 10 days later that things hadn’t been done properly. And that’s when the hardest part began.”

The spell without playing wasn’t his only problem, with a managerial change making things even worse.

“I didn’t play for six months. Meanwhile, there was also a change of manager in those six months, who wasn’t the one who had signed me [Craig Shakespeare]. I thought it was going to be positive, but it turned out to be really negative. He didn’t count on me [Claude Puel]. He did everything to try and destabilise me. It’s easy to catch a coach who favours other qualities. But then when it comes to other things, it ends up being a bit more unpleasant and it was a very difficult four months to endure psychologically, because I wanted to carry on playing for the national team and I always had that in the back of my mind. I wanted to carry on because it was the year of the World Cup in Russia.”

Leicester City spent €20.5m to sign Silva from Sporting in 2017, and he only made 21 appearances for the club.

In January 2019, the Foxes loaned him out to AS Monaco. He stayed there until the summer of 2020, when Leicester City finally let him go on a permanent move, this time to Sampdoria.

Silva still played for Al-Wahda in the United Arab Emirates, and with the end of his contract, he spent six months without playing last year. It was only in January 2024 that he agreed a deal with Rio Ave in Portugal, where his contract is also expiring, and he’s again becoming a free agent this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Guest said:

I can't see what the point would have been in him playing a warm-up game for a tournament it had already been decided he wasn't going to, and perhaps he couldn't either

Given the 'I was just a boy dreaming of representing his country' spiel we got with his first cap it's either hypocrisy or arrogance.

I also agree with Rooney. It's a bit insulting to the players that have made it ahead of you to just walk away. 

Plus - at the very core. It's an England cap. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/06/12/james-maddison-criticised-for-reaction-to-euro-2024-squad-snub/?utm_source=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0032

Maddison getting dug out for leaving the England team camp after being told he wasn't going to go to the Euros.

He was reportedly going to start against Iceland so pretty poor form.

Do you blame him? Playing in a pointless friendly knowing you havent been picked and possibly picking up an injury or going on holiday.. im sure most people would do exactly the same

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/06/12/james-maddison-criticised-for-reaction-to-euro-2024-squad-snub/?utm_source=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0032

Maddison getting dug out for leaving the England team camp after being told he wasn't going to go to the Euros.

He was reportedly going to start against Iceland so pretty poor form.

I don't blame him really 

1 hour ago, Guest said:

I can't see what the point would have been in him playing a warm-up game for a tournament it had already been decided he wasn't going to, and perhaps he couldn't either

The side should've been everyone set to start the first game against the euros. 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

“I didn’t play for six months. Meanwhile, there was also a change of manager in those six months, who wasn’t the one who had signed me [Craig Shakespeare]. I thought it was going to be positive, but it turned out to be really negative. He didn’t count on me [Claude Puel]. He did everything to try and destabilise me. It’s easy to catch a coach who favours other qualities. But then when it comes to other things, it ends up being a bit more unpleasant and it was a very difficult four months to endure psychologically, because I wanted to carry on playing for the national team and I always had that in the back of my mind. I wanted to carry on because it was the year of the World Cup in Russia.”

Another Claude Puel man management masterclass then!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Do you blame him? Playing in a pointless friendly knowing you havent been picked and possibly picking up an injury or going on holiday.. im sure most people would do exactly the same

No. I think that I'd want to represent my country whatever the weather.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

No. I think that I'd want to represent my country whatever the weather.

Nail on head......most of us would walk through hot coals to play for their country be it in a friendly,world cup final or a kick around.I'm not Kane's greatest fan....but it seems it means something to him....Somthing that a few more of Englands players should learn from.

Just now, PAULCFC said:

Nail on head......most of us would walk through hot coals to play for their country be it in a friendly,world cup final or a kick around.I'm not Kane's greatest fan....but it seems it means something to him....Somthing that a few more of Englands players should learn from.

The prevailing opinion on here seems to be 'if he's not going to the tournament then sod em'

It's a bit difficult for me to understand; I'd be looking at it as an honor to play for my country and a chance to force his hand.

1 hour ago, PAULCFC said:

"hey grandad, tell us about that time you played in a meaningless friendly and lost to Iceland when you weren't even invited to the tournament"

it's not 1950 anymore get a grip lol. they play too many games and plenty of useless internationals. 

and i think Maddison is an A1 **** usually btw

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

"hey grandad, tell us about that time you played in a meaningless friendly and lost to Iceland when you weren't even invited to the tournament"

it's not 1950 anymore get a grip lol. they play too many games and plenty of useless internationals. 

and i think Maddison is an A1 **** usually btw

And that is the problem!Doesn't matter how many games you play, if you are good enough to get called up for your country you play! I  know it's old fashioned and they are not getting paid much(in their world) but their is more to it...........and don't get me started on the "too many games"  crap!

Edited by PAULCFC

17 hours ago, Guest said:

Things happen and players get injured. At a rugby World Cup they called up some player who “just happened to be on holiday following their country at the World Cup”, but yeah, management should have been able to talk him into playing if they’d spoken to him in the right way or maybe he just has abandonment issues?

https://sportwitness.co.uk/caglar-soyuncu-must-leave-price-named-player-year-leicester-city-exit/

Çağlar Söyüncü ‘must leave’ – Bargain price set year after Leicester City exit
By Sport Witness -18th June 2024

Çağlar Söyüncü moving from relegated Leicester City to Atletico Madrid was a huge move for the player. Ambitious, certainly, but also certainly worth a go to see if he could succeed at the highest level and in the Champions League.

The defender was given a four year deal with Los Rojiblancos and before one of those years is even completed, he’s been put up for sale.

Arriving from Leicester City with great hopes, Söyüncü managed just six La Liga matches for Atletico Madrid. Those appearances totalled up just 115 minutes, and whilst injuries played a small part in that, it’s clear Diego Simeone wasn’t keen.

Sent on loan to Fenerbahce in the January transfer window, the 28-year-old was a regular in the Turkish Super Lig.
Now he’s set to become an Atletico Madrid player again, and they want to part ways permanently.

Tuesday’s edition of AS states the player ‘must leave’ Los Rojiblancos. According to the Spanish newspaper, the price set is €8-12m, and with Atletico ‘willing to listen to offers’ a move at the bargain end of that range looks possible.

Given some of his more successful times with Leicester City, perhaps Söyüncü can hope for interest from England.

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://sportwitness.co.uk/caglar-soyuncu-must-leave-price-named-player-year-leicester-city-exit/

Çağlar Söyüncü ‘must leave’ – Bargain price set year after Leicester City exit
By Sport Witness -18th June 2024

Çağlar Söyüncü moving from relegated Leicester City to Atletico Madrid was a huge move for the player. Ambitious, certainly, but also certainly worth a go to see if he could succeed at the highest level and in the Champions League.

The defender was given a four year deal with Los Rojiblancos and before one of those years is even completed, he’s been put up for sale.

Arriving from Leicester City with great hopes, Söyüncü managed just six La Liga matches for Atletico Madrid. Those appearances totalled up just 115 minutes, and whilst injuries played a small part in that, it’s clear Diego Simeone wasn’t keen.

Sent on loan to Fenerbahce in the January transfer window, the 28-year-old was a regular in the Turkish Super Lig.
Now he’s set to become an Atletico Madrid player again, and they want to part ways permanently.

Tuesday’s edition of AS states the player ‘must leave’ Los Rojiblancos. According to the Spanish newspaper, the price set is €8-12m, and with Atletico ‘willing to listen to offers’ a move at the bargain end of that range looks possible.

Given some of his more successful times with Leicester City, perhaps Söyüncü can hope for interest from England.

Bargain price but still making pretty much pure profit, and it was 100% worth the risk on a free. I wish we could operate more in the same way.