Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

17 minutes ago, Sly said:

They have that much money, they could blow the Premier League out of the water in all honesty.

This is just the start really.

The minute they offer a streaming service for all games and the level of players joining increases, it’ll just start to snowball. 

On another note, I knew Mary Earps was from Nottingham, however I didn’t know she was once at Leicester! :o

They have money, yes. But why blow it on nobodies that are more expensive than anyone else and don't attract any added attention?

48 minutes ago, shen said:

They have money, yes. But why blow it on nobodies that are more expensive than anyone else and don't attract any added attention?

They’ll still need to build squads. He still has a profile, even if it’s not exactly outside of the UK. 

48 minutes ago, Sly said:

They’ll still need to build squads. He still has a profile, even if it’s not exactly outside of the UK. 

I'm more inclined to think that they don't really have a clue what they're doing. Maybe they're just tapping up every name in the PL and just hoovering up whoever bites.

2 hours ago, Sly said:

They have that much money, they could blow the Premier League out of the water in all honesty.

The minute they offer a streaming service for all games and the level of players joining increases, it’ll just start to snowball. 

On another note, I knew Mary Earps was from Nottingham, however I didn’t know she was once at Leicester! :o

Began her career at Leicester. But didn't make a senior appearance unfortunately 

2 hours ago, shen said:

I suspect they're banking on the new format of the Club World Cup being massive, and potentially replacing the Champions League as the world's biggest club competition.

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Honestly though, people dont support players they support clubs.

Just becasue a few mercanaries go over there for the money doesnt make Al Shebab vs Al Helal in a half empty stadium any more interesting as a spectacle. 

You cant buy the History and Prestige of the European clubs no matter how much money you have. A European or English final with hundereds of years worth of history and entertainment. 

They are never going to compete with any of the European teams unless they adapt FFP. Their only hope I guess is that they might convince the greedy 6 and some other European giants into some kind of 'super league' 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Just becasue a few mercanaries go over there for the money doesnt make Al Shebab vs Al Helal in a half empty stadium and more interesting as a spectacle. 

You cant buy the History and Prestige of the European clubs no matter how much money you have. 

They are never going to compete with any of the European teams unless they adapt FFP. Their only hope I guess is that they might convince the greedy 6 and some other European giants into some kind of 'super league' 

I agree that they're years away from actually competing though and that the Saudi domestic league will do well to match the global viewing figures of the Championship, let alone the Premier League and La Liga.

For all of the money spent on big names, most of the Saudi clubs will have two or three recognised names in their starting XI with the rest made up by local players or players from abroad who've never played in the big European leagues. A Saudi football fan could probably name the Manchester City starting XI from Ederson to Haaland; try asking a bloke from Moss Side to do the same with the Al-Nassr team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Just becasue a few mercanaries go over there for the money doesnt make Al Shebab vs Al Helal in a half empty stadium and more interesting as a spectacle. 

You cant buy the History and Prestige of the European clubs no matter how much money you have. A European or English final with hundereds of years worth of history and entertainment. 

Well things are changing.

The global superstars are arguably worth as much or more than major clubs when it comes to advertising and marketing appeal.

Football is a global phenomenon, but football and club culture isn't. 

I've noticed that some English fans in particular struggle to understand foreign supporters that have no geographical or cultural connection to English clubs. 

The Saudi league, if it is to become a success, will be exclusively catering to foreign supporters, unlike any of the big leagues.

The Qatar WC was probably seen as a watershed event that showed people WILL watch their national stars despite massive negative press and hordes of paid plastic stadium fillers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shen said:

The global superstars are arguably worth as much or more than major clubs when it comes to advertising and marketing appeal.

I've noticed that some English fans in particular struggle to understand foreign supporters that have no geographical or cultural connection to English clubs. 

The Saudi league, if it is to become a success, will be exclusively catering to foreign supporters, unlike any of the big leagues.

The Qatar WC was probably seen as a watershed event that showed people WILL watch their national stars despite massive negative press and hordes of paid plastic stadium fillers.

The game is already a long way from what it was, some good aspects some bad.

However the game 1 person becomes bigger than the team in a team game, theres quite a big problem and frankly you have wrecked the game as a spectacle in my opinion. Its of absolutely no interest to me. 

Football clubs are around for 100s of years, players 10-15 maximum. How does the model work?

I can understand why some might have no interest in the English or European game. However, primarily its not a geographical connection as such to the big English or European clubs, its the connection of global success and  historical prestige. People in Africa and Singapore can be seen wearing Manchester United and Real Madrid tops because they have history and prestige, regardless of where they are, they have 100 years of winning top trophies in the most competative leagues in the world as a team. Al Helal might sign 4 1 billion euro players who play as 4 indviduals but overall the team is still what it is, a small team. 

People watch the European Leagues because they are competive, they are entertaining.

Personally I dont get it, maybe money wins in the end but if it does football as we know it will be dead. 

English football was around before the Premier League, it will be around after, it matters to communities, families. There might be less mercanaries and money in it, which for fans isnt necessariliy a bad thing

17 minutes ago, shen said:

It's definitely a threat to European dominance at club level, but it also isn't the first threat. The NASL, the MLS and the Chinese Super League have all tried the same with varying levels of success. 

For me, the question is depth. It's all very well having one or two megastars in a team, but the appeal to global viewers will be limited if their teammates are 10 unknowns and the quality suffers accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Just becasue a few mercanaries go over there for the money doesnt make Al Shebab vs Al Helal in a half empty stadium any more interesting as a spectacle. 

Some people do follow players and others just just follow whoever is winning trophies. I'd hoped they are very much in the minority but I fear the numbers are growing.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Some people do follow players and others just just follow whoever is winning trophies. I'd hoped they are very much in the minority but I fear the numbers are growing.

Seems a bizare concept. So say I follow Ronaldo, what happens when he retires? I find a new player to love? 

The Trophies thing I maybe get to a point but the issue is who cares about the Inter Saudi Trophy or whatever it is? I get Saudi fans may care deeply, maybe the odd Saudi league fanatic elsewhere. its the quivalent of winning League 1! Not the European Cup! I jut dont see how any amount of money can make it something its not. That said people are weird!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

I’m weirdly enjoying the ex LCFC centre half duo at Cambridge this season. 

Michael Morrison and Ryan Bennett. 

I'd have taken Morrison ahead of Bennett on loan the other year.

Also I listened to the full Matt Elliot under the cosh in the car earlier, pretty good. Says they've done one with walshy but I couldn't find it - is it behind a paywall or do they not release in order?

On 20/08/2023 at 21:43, Dames said:

He was never going too. He took the biggest payday on offer because he knows in 2 years he’ll be slumming it in the Turkish league. 

Was great for us for 2 years but he’s clearly knackered beyond repair now. 

A year ago he was expecting and expected to join Arsenal . They seriously dodged a bullet or put another way their scouting and player identification processes worked as they should 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Jonny Evans training at Man Utd, A “fully fit” Ryan Bertrand training at Chelsea.

What is going on!

I'll believe it when I see it.

I still can't believe I and others were duped into believing he was going to be a good signing. Hindsight.

• Like 1