Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

8 minutes ago, lfu said:

Mendy signs for Lens

On 24/08/2023 at 15:06, Harboro said:

When you look at where the players who left Leicester in the summer ended up it really forces you to ask the question how we got relegated?

These 2 plus Maddison to the rich 6 clubs, then Barnes, Tielemans, Amartey, Tete, Perez and Soyuncu all going to teams in European competition this season

Another one who will be playing European football this season

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/who-is-jacob-wakeling-peterborough-united-have-signed-a-little-jamie-vardy-4280799

Who is Jacob Wakeling? Peterborough United have signed a 'little Jamie Vardy'
Peterborough United’s new striker Jacob Wakeling has drawn comparisons with Leicester City hero Jamie Vardy.
By Ben Jones
Published 5th Sep 2023, 15:00 BST- 3 min read

Like the Premier League and FA Cup winner, 21-year-old Wakeling - who has signed a three-year contract with Posh - knows what it is like to drop out of an Academy into non-league football at a young age.

In Wakeling’s case, he was released by West Brom as an 18-year-old and found himself playing for nearby Alvechurch in the Southern Premier League Central Division (step 3 of non-league).

Hide Ad
In his brief spell - from summer until November 2020 - he scored seven times in 11 matches, including a stunning hat-trick in a 5-0 win over Barwell and was deployed both as a winger and a centre forward.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Wakeling said: "When I started playing for Alvechurch, I had no intention to push on to start with, it was just about getting back to playing regular football and enjoying myself again.

"When I started doing well and scoring goals, a few clubs in the National League were interested and that's when I really started to want to move up the leagues. I had the chance to go National League, but I believed I could play higher than that.

"I always believed in myself - I think that's what you've got to do as a footballer, even when things aren't going well.

His fine form tempted Premier League Leicester City to swoop in and sign him where he was at the club as Vardy, a player he admits he based a lot of his game on.

He added: "Leicester was a really good time.

"It was a crazy period - within a year, I had gone from training at a park to training at a £100m training ground with the Leicester first team and having the chance to speak to Brendan Rodgers. I had to pinch myself at times.

"When I was at West Brom, a lot of the coaches said I was like a little Jamie Vardy. I've had a similar route to him, dropping into non-league and then coming back up. I don't think he even knew my name though, if I'm honest! I liked to watch him train, though, because I've always based my game on his."

Wakeling played three times for the Foxes in the EFL Trophy across the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons, scoring twice in three matches.

He then spent an unsuccessful six month loan spell at League Two Barrow between January 2022 and the summer where he only played four times without scoring.

He suffered the pain of being released once again before bouncing back once again, signing for Swindon just a month later.

New Peterborough United forward did not think twice about joining a 'fantastic c...
Wakeling scored four times and made three assists in his opening 10 games, prompting the Robins to tie him down to a new contract to run until 2026 in just September, having signed in the summer.

He ended the campaign with eight goals in 46 matches, having played all across the forward line.

After his breakout campaign, Darren Ferguson described Wakeling as a ‘real pest in the way that he presses. He is a strong runner, a good size, he can play wide, but he is predominantly someone who plays down the middle.’

Wakeling added: "My preferred position is as a No 9, on my own or in a two, but I've played all over - left, right and I've even recently had a little stint at left wing-back as well! It's a learning experience for me, playing in different positions and adapting, because that's what you've got to do as a professional footballer.”

Posh fans may get their first look at Wakeling next Tuesday (September 12) as they host Cambridge in the EFL Trophy, but Wakeling has in fact already played at London Road this season.

He came on as a 66th minute substitute in the 1-1 draw between the sides, but did not get the take part in the shootout given that his side missed two of their first three penalties.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

One of your ex players being put in his

place by his current boss.

https://twitter.com/Benjwinst/status/1699116327707840941

Always thought Dyche was a d*ckhead. And that clips puts it beyond any doubt.

Gray's nothing but a dildo with an ego - and he's massively in the wrong in doing what he's doing. Dyche has all the moral (and every other possible) capital on his side. Yet, it's Dyche with his smarmy, sarcastic and somewhat naive sneering who manages to make himself the more unlikeable of the two.  

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2023/sep/06/james-maddison-signing-spurs-midfielder-england-premier-league-goals-assists

James Maddison is shaping up to be the signing of the summer

Spurs invested wisely when they signed an England midfielder who guarantees goals and assists in the Premier League

Edited by Harboro
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Always thought Dyche was a d*ckhead. And that clips puts it beyond any doubt.

Gray's nothing but a dildo with an ego - and he's massively in the wrong in doing what he's doing. Dyche has all the moral (and every other possible) capital on his side. Yet, it's Dyche with his smarmy, sarcastic and somewhat naive sneering who manages to make himself the more unlikeable of the two.  

Gray gets little sympathy from me but always found something insufferable about Dyche.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Finally getting the recognition he deserves. He's started this season brilliantly. 

Just playing as he had done pre world cup with us .

He got plaudits with us, just the bigger pundits are now making a big deal out of it as he plays for a big 6 club. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

Demarai Gray leaves Everton to join Al-Ettifaq - BBC Sport

if there ever was any doubt that we should have got rid

mind you, there was a bit of doubt for me, for a short while, when he turned up at Everton for the first few games at least. 

proper mardy that one

I can still remember the first season at Everton and @weller54 had claimed he was a far better player than Maddison. Bet me £50 Gray would outperform Madders that season and another £50 Everton would finish above Leicester… still never paid the £100…

It never ceases to amaze me how many can’t see how inconsistent Gray is… we know he’s capable of the 1 in 15 brilliant games or scoring a random worldie, but never had any sort of consistency to his game.

• Like 1

Can't help but will largely remember him for the helicopter blade near-fatal mishap somewhere during pre-season.., followed by the excellent Old Trafford goal.

Think he has let himself down in failing to realise his potential with his often poor attitude, despite his lucrative move.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1