Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

19 hours ago, eblair said:

Watching Villa this year, makes me think most unforgivable decision Rodgers made was making Tielemans our captain and playing him every week. Yes Ward and Amartey were car crashes

But treating Youri like he was god when he had declared his desire to leave and refused to sign a contract is insane. It’s even more insane when you see he’s not good enough to start for Villa cos he’s slow and lazy.

Rodgers legacy at the club is so atrocious I can’t describe it to non-Leicester fans. Worst state the club has been left in since Sven

I want to agree with this but not fully. I don’t agree Tielemans is lazy per se, but he just switches off too often. He needed to have been dropped just like Maddison was some years back.

The whole set up was just wrong. Rodgers relied on individual brilliance to get us out of the trouble that he created through his set up of the team. As we had an excellent squad, that bought him time. But over time, other teams figured us out and it was too easy to play us as we were too one dimensional. We only had two outlets to progress up the pitch: Maddison and Barnes. We had no one on the right (not his fault but he could have changed tactics to adjust). Shutting us out was easy: high press and don’t let the ball get to Maddison or Barnes; even if it does, they often had little outlet but as they are brilliant players some times they do some brilliant things and we score. (By contrast, Enzo and Ange the Tottenham coach use the system to progress up the pitch).

One of the biggest problems to me was therefore Rodgers’ set up. Another is his negative mindset - instead of focus on attack, his focus was on not taking risk which damaged our players so so much despite what he said about wanting to improve players. So many regressed in his rein.

Some other specific problems I mentioned here previously included: starting Ndidi as the pivot in front of the back four (that was an absolute disaster). Imagine playing Ndidi instead of Winks in the current set up by Enzo and have a think how effective that would be. We see Ndidi has good instincts as a footballer, but his ball control is (let’s face it) League One standard. We cannot afford a player like that playing the Winks role.

Then there was also Ward (as you said).

Injuries: it really seems like it was not a coincidence we had so many injuries. Not sure if it is the way Rodgers trained the team or the training pitches or what.

Self preservation: Rodgers was so interested in himself that he didn’t care about the club really. On this, I also agree with you that making Tielemans a captain is atrociously bad. He clearly had no desire to be here running down his contract like that (only to go to Villa!!!), yet he not only played week in week out with little output and so many mistakes, he was a leader? 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, eblair said:

Watching Villa this year, makes me think most unforgivable decision Rodgers made was making Tielemans our captain and playing him every week. Yes Ward and Amartey were car crashes

But treating Youri like he was god when he had declared his desire to leave and refused to sign a contract is insane. It’s even more insane when you see he’s not good enough to start for Villa cos he’s slow and lazy.

Rodgers legacy at the club is so atrocious I can’t describe it to non-Leicester fans. Worst state the club has been left in since Sven

It's pretty incredible that our FA cup winning manager will go down as a bad manager for us in the eyes of many leicester fans. The Rodgers era was certainly a strange and controversial one.

• Like 1

I actually think Tielemans looks completely burnt out, he’s only 26 but has played close to 500 professional games - More games than Andy King for example who is nearly 10 years older than he is.

I think that’s what we started to see last season, almost like a 35 year old coming to the end - we know he can be quality, and he had is moments of brilliance - but the body just isn’t performing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

I remember ppl were still sticking up for him on here and at the KP after he was being called out for watching this gassed up guy lumber around the pitch. So glad to have a new 8 who actually looks mobile. Harsh on Winks because not only mobile but been great all round for us so far!!

21 hours ago, Jaspa said:

"The Belgian Ashley Westwood" :D

He should have gone back to Ligue 1 like Papy or mid-table La Liga like Perez.

Unless he scores one or two of those worldies, he's not turning around 70+ pages of bile being poured in his direction.

On 25/09/2023 at 11:52, James_lcfc said:

I know the subject of Barnes and his sale has been done to death, but this seems like the appropriate thread to chat about the 'what ifs'!

How many goals would he have so far this year playing Mavididi's role?!

I like Stephy and feel like he has huge potential, but it feels like he's had so many opportunities in those positions that you absolutely KNEW Barnes would score from.

We saw Barnes' finishing improve significantly whilst he was here - If Stephy can follow the same path we'd have a hell of a player as I feel there are elements to his game that are better than Barnes now - Just nowhere close when it comes to finishing...yet.

Harvey banged them in for West Brom.  When he came up, his cut in on the right foot, score across the keeper habit no longer worked.  He couldn’t finish through the tiny, brief windows he got in the PL.  It took him a season or two to beat Prem keepers with some consistency.  For me, Harvey just had to refine his skills (though he also gradually improved his reading of the game).

Mavididi looks like a heads-down player with Demarai Gray-like recognition of the situation around him.  It’s not only finishing skills are his issue.  It’s taking too many low-xG shots few players could finish -- when better options are available. 

At 25, Mavididi most likely is what he is.  A skilled, tricky guy who doesn’t react at game speed.  I do think he's a contributor at this level, but the next?

Hope he proves me wrong!

17 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Harvey banged them in for West Brom.  When he came up, his cut in on the right foot, score across the keeper habit no longer worked.  He couldn’t finish through the tiny, brief windows he got in the PL.  It took him a season or two to beat Prem keepers with some consistency.  For me, Harvey just had to refine his skills (though he also gradually improved his reading of the game).

Mavididi looks like a heads-down player with Demarai Gray-like recognition of the situation around him.  It’s not only finishing skills are his issue.  It’s taking too many low-xG shots few players could finish -- when better options are available. 

At 25, Mavididi most likely is what he is.  A skilled, tricky guy who doesn’t react at game speed.  I do think he's a contributor at this level, but the next?

Hope he proves me wrong!

Yeah, I think you're bang on when it comes to Mavididi.

We needed wingers for this level though - If he has a good season this year you'd think we'd at least be able to make our money back...even if he struggles at PL level.

On 28/09/2023 at 00:45, Sithbaare said:

There's a reason why bigger clubs didn't go for Tielemans. I don't doubt his talent. His desire is the big issue.

I always said his level was at a club like us (when we were pushing top 6). I never saw him as a player that was good enough for a bigger club, even when some were calling him "World Class" which was never right. His fitness is shocking for his age, I could never imagine him in a top team. The great midfielders that get up and down - Gerrard, Keane, Vieira, De Bruyne, etc - he never ever looked like he could do that.

On 28/09/2023 at 02:26, Aus Fox said:

I actually think Tielemans looks completely burnt out, he’s only 26 but has played close to 500 professional games - More games than Andy King for example who is nearly 10 years older than he is.

I think that’s what we started to see last season, almost like a 35 year old coming to the end - we know he can be quality, and he had is moments of brilliance - but the body just isn’t performing.

This is a huge point that goes unnoticed. He's been playing full time football since he was 16 at a high level. Won't be surprised if he completely disappears, which is a huge shame as he was incredible at one point.

• Like 2