Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

14 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Unbelievable that once players are freed from the constraints of playing under Brendan....they go on and show their true excellence 

Gasperini is a shackles off kind of manager though isn't he. Has them playing some great stuff at times.

I can see him being a Bielsa figure in the Premier League. His team would be really exciting to watch but every so often they'd get absolutely pumped. Would be a fair bit more enjoyable than what Brendan has served up in the last two seasons though.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Mick Kennedy played a few games for us in the Pleat out years.

Now boss of Scottish giant killers Darvel.

Doubt it’s him, doesn’t look much older than 40.

Fact Check- The Michael Kennedy who played for Leicester is dead.

Edited by westernpark
Clarification

Man City fans finally realising what a great player they've got.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/this-city-player-has-never-truly-got-the-respect-he-deserves-opinion/

This City player has never truly got the respect he deserves [Opinion]

Zach Scott Moloney|12:24 25/01/23

Three Premier Leagues and counting, three league cups, a Community Shield and finally an FA Cup. This is Riyad Mahrez’s vast trophy haul for Manchester City since he made the switch from Leicester.

Bought from the Foxes on July 10th 2018, Mahrez was at the time the most expensive African footballer of all time, City paid £60 million to acquire the Algerian’s services. The winger’s first season was a settling-in period, this is a normal occurrence for the vast majority of Pep Guardiola signings, particularly wingers, as the way the Spaniard sees the game and his tactical make-up is completely unique. However, Mahrez’s stats were impressive from 44 appearances (28 starts) he scored 12 and assisted another 12. Most memorably, Mahrez put the Blues 3-1 up away to Brighton on the final day of the Premier League season to secure City’s second successive title.

The 19/20 season saw 50 appearances (35 starts) 13 goals and an extremely impressive 16 assists. City scored a staggering 102 goals in the league but a disjointed defence and a crucial injury to centre-back Aymeric Laporte saw the Blues finish 18 points off champions Liverpool. The 20/21 season saw Mahrez again make 48 appearances (39 starts) and register 14 goals and assist a further 9. However, this was the season the Algerian made a name for himself in the Champions League, becoming one of City’s key performers in the competition and guiding the Blues to their first-ever final. Mahrez got an assist in the 2nd leg of the Round of 16 against Borussia Mönchengladbach, another assist to Kevin De Bruyne in the 1st leg of the Quarter-Final at home to Borussia Dortmund. The Semi-Final against PSG saw Mahrez score a free-kick away at the Le Parc des Princes to put City level and give the Blues a crucial away goal. The 2nd leg at the Etihad saw Mahrez score both of City’s goals in a 2-0 win for Pep Guardiola’s side, reaching the Champions League final for the first time in the club’s history.

Last season, Mahrez scored a career-high 24 goals in his time so far at City and assisted another 9, as City bagged their fourth Premier League title in just five seasons. He recorded an assist in the 1st leg of the Semi-Final against Real Madrid, and scored at the Bernabeu in the return leg a week later as City crashed out in extra time.

At the time of writing, the Algerian has scored ten times and recorded four assists in his last 15 outings, and is playing some of the best football of his career as City look to chase down Arsenal and claim a third straight Premier League title.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Corky said:

Such a shame it couldn't have been aligned to have Mahrez alongside Maddison and Barnes, Vardy up front, Tielemans inside and Ricardo behind him,

What a team that would've been,

You could even add other players we've had since 2016 and it'd make a dream team that'd challenge for the title.

11 hours ago, Corky said:

Such a shame it couldn't have been aligned to have Mahrez alongside Maddison and Barnes, Vardy up front, Tielemans inside and Ricardo behind him,

What a team that would've been,

Rodgers would have coached it all out of him and he would now be a master of sideways and backwards passing

• Sad 1

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/defenders-portsmouth-exit-is-confirmed-as-former-leicester-reading-and-birmingham-centre-back-returns-to-cambridge-united-4002900

Defender's Portsmouth exit is confirmed as former Leicester, Reading and Birmingham centre-back returns to Cambridge United
Michael Morrison’s Pompey exit has been confirmed.

By Mark McMahon

The defender has left Fratton Park after just six months and returned to Cambridge United, where he started his career.

Morrison, who made 28 appearances for the Blues, has joined the U’s on an 18-month contract.

He moves the Mark Bonner’s side on a free transfer after Pompey agreed to cancel his one-year deal at PO4 early.

Speculation on the 34-year-old’s future intensified when he was left out of John Mousinho’s first match-day squad for the game against Exeter last Saturday.

At the final whistle, the new Blues head coach confirmed that the former Reading and Leicester centre-back had been given permission to leave the club – with Cambridge his preferred destination.

Now Morrison has completed the switch, leaving Pompey to search for a replacement between now and the close of the January transfer window.

Speaking about his move, Morrison told the U’s website: ‘I am really pleased to be back. ‘I always wanted to come back home someday so it’s an opportunity I couldn’t turn down.

‘I know we are in a fight but I look forward to helping the team have a good second half of the season by picking up results and rising up the table.’

Cambridge currently sit third from bottom in the League One standings and a point away from safety.

Morrison is expected to help in their battle against relegation immediately and is in contention to feature against Lincoln at the weekend.

According to Bonner, his presence will give everybody at the club an instant boost.

‘I am delighted to add Michael to our team and bring him back to where it all started for him. He has an instant connection with the club and the city and he will help re-invigorate us in the weeks ahead,’ said the Cambridge boss.

‘I believe his experience, personality and leadership will help create a spark in ourselves as we look to turn around the situation we find ourselves in.

Hide Ad
‘Michael has spent the vast majority of his career at a higher level and it has always been his aim to return to us and make an impact on the team.

‘In the final week of the window, Michael’s addition will give everyone a lift. He is coming to help us, make us better and contribute to wins. That is all of our responsibility now; to respect the shirt, show the resilience required and take personal responsibility for the level and consistency of our performances.’

A whole article over on Livescore on Lookman's rise.

https://www.livescore.com/en/news/in-focus-ademola-lookman-atalanta-sampdoria-serie-a-preview-2023012516030013144/

More livid by the day at the lack of ambition we showed not to keep him. This quote was the standout for me about his time with us:

Much of the concern surrounding the South Londoner was his lack of effort and defensive diligence but there have been few critics of his performances since his switch to Italy.

That says more about our languid tactics and terrible man-management than anything about Ademola's ability and potential ceiling to me. I'd never have had him down as someone who was phoning it in or not trying, and now he's surrounded by some proper pros who give a toss and put a shift in, he's skyrocketing.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

A whole article over on Livescore on Lookman's rise.

https://www.livescore.com/en/news/in-focus-ademola-lookman-atalanta-sampdoria-serie-a-preview-2023012516030013144/

More livid by the day at the lack of ambition we showed not to keep him. This quote was the standout for me about his time with us:

That says more about our languid tactics and terrible man-management than anything about Ademola's ability and potential ceiling to me. I'd never have had him down as someone who was phoning it in or not trying, and now he's surrounded by some proper pros who give a toss and put a shift in, he's skyrocketing.

His defensive diligence was 100 times more than Barnes ever shows.

8 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I didn't see this posted when it happened, but Gary Taylor-Fletcher is now player-manager for Nantwich Town in the Northern Premier League. He barely plays at all these days apart from when needs must, being the wrong end of 40.

He got called up to the bench after an injury in the warm-up a couple of weeks ago - then went and scored a worldie from 40+ yards. :thumbup:

He looks slimmer and in better shape than he ever did in his playing career.

• Haha 1