Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Sporting Losses You Will Never Get Over

Got the idea from something I saw online today. What are the losses you'll never be able to get over? For me would have to be England vs Germany 1996, England vs Croatia 2018, and probably Leicester vs Wolves 2003. Although I reckon I pretty much made my peace with Leicester after the title win. 

• Like 2

Another good thread idea Bovril :thumbup:

Leicester wise, I’ve never really gotten over the cup loss to Wycombe. Still pisses me off today the more I think about it.

England wise it’s Italia 90. We should have won that WC and had the team to do it. Still hurts to this day.

Outside of football, I still can’t get over Europe losing the ‘91 Ryder Cup in the US. All came down to Langers final put and I still can’t believe he missed it from 6ft.

• Like 1

Schalke losing out on the Bundesliga title against Bayern in the most cruel of fashions in 2001.

It would have been only their second league title ever, the first in then 43 years.

Schalke were champions for four minutes and 38 seconds, but Bayern secured a point away at HSV to snatch the "salad bowl" again.

EDIT: Wrong forum, no?

Edited by MC Prussian

Maradonna's "Hand of God"  at the 1986  World Cup - horrible cheating, followed up by that goal when the England team were still distracted by the injustice of it all.

I thought I would never get over the trauma of Coventry City's plight and flight to the fourth tier, but I am beginning to come to terms with it now. Hee hee

58 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Chelsea in the 5th round of the fa cup in 1997, when Erland Johnsen dived to win a penalty in the replay. Looking at the teams left in, we'd have probably won it that year had we gone through.

I was so devastated I cried my little heart out. 

Liverpool at home 1973. We didn't lose, it finished 1-1 but after the match a scouser nicked my programme right in front of the law, as I tried to get it back off him he appealed to the law for help because I was supposedly trying to steal his programme. The law told me to **** off and stop causing trouble. No I'm not over it! 

Am I allowed to nominate a draw as my sporting loss i'll never get over?

Even though in reality it set the wheels in motion for rebuilding the club into what it is today, going down to League 1 after failing to beat Stoke is still sore.

• Sad 1

Just now, AKCJ said:

Am I allowed to nominate a draw as my sporting loss i'll never get over?

Even though in reality it set the wheels in motion for rebuilding the club into what it is today, going down to League 1 after failing to beat Stoke is still sore.

If we're talking draws, the 3-3 with Middlesborough in 2004 was one of my lowest points watching Leicester. That whole season was painful. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Got the idea from something I saw online today. What are the losses you'll never be able to get over? For me would have to be England vs Germany 1996, England vs Croatia 2018, and probably Leicester vs Wolves 2003. Although I reckon I pretty much made my peace with Leicester after the title win. 

Definitely this game for me. As soon as I read it I was back there. That was such a brilliant summer and we were a Gazza toe poke away from winning that semi. I was 14 and I bawled my eyes out. Never felt quite so flat after a loss.

Swindon at Wembley was ****ing brutal as well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

The England vs. Germany world cup game, with Frank Lampard's ghost goal that would've made it 2-2 (2010 WC I think).

The one where they completely dominated from start to finish, won 4-1, and we'd been dreadful all tournament? I was over that before it finished.

• Like 1