Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Sporting Losses You Will Never Get Over

Bolton 5-0 defeat at home in 2001, absolutely ridiculous even looking back now.

Non-Leicester / football- Ireland getting beat by Argentina in the 2015 Rugby World Cup quarter final . Whilst we were far from our best, it looks weeks to accept that Argentina were superb, probably the best I've ever seen them play. Thought it was our last big chance to go to a semi final or final in a World Cup. No doubt this experience will be repeated in a couple of months when South Africa beat us in another World Cup QF....

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Am I allowed to nominate a draw as my sporting loss i'll never get over?

Even though in reality it set the wheels in motion for rebuilding the club into what it is today, going down to League 1 after failing to beat Stoke is still sore.

It was bad, at the time I hated it. But it was a great season afterwards overall, who knows what would’ve happened if we stayed up?

most england tournaments as well tbf. 

last year was gutting, and 2002 was probably just as bad. think i was like 9, there was literally no way we weren’t gonna win the world cup and then ronaldinho fluked it. 

2 hours ago, Mark_w said:

I'm not sure there are any, I got over most when we won the top flight of English football.

See I got over a lot of league related stuff after that, but we're still missing an fa cup, so I can't get over the bad fa cup loses until that's been sorted.

13 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

most england tournaments as well tbf. 

last year was gutting, and 2002 was probably just as bad. think i was like 9, there was literally no way we weren’t gonna win the world cup and then ronaldinho fluked it. 

Yeah that one was so bad. I still think about it every time I hear 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' be Oasis. 

The worst thing was that game was on about 7 in the morning so we had to go into school afterwards. Proper depressing. 

23 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Yeah that one was so bad. I still think about it every time I hear 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' be Oasis. 

The worst thing was that game was on about 7 in the morning so we had to go into school afterwards. Proper depressing. 

We stayed in the pub all day until midnight drowning our sorrows :(

1 hour ago, Mark_w said:

The one where they completely dominated from start to finish, won 4-1, and we'd been dreadful all tournament? I was over that before it finished.

I agree. We'd been dreadful.

But it was the first tournament when I'd first really started to get into football (I'd only casually watched the odd game before that), and I was still naive enough to think that England genuinely had a chance. So I remember it as one of the first times I'd really been gutted by a football result.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

None. It's part of sport and you come back.

I don't understand people who are saying Watford, do you think we'd have won the league if that didn't happen? 

In hindsight, that was one of the best things that ever happened to our club.

Watford, Cardiff and Stoke were all part of a wonderful domino effect that led us to 2015/2016. Hurt like hell at the time but I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1

As a bills fan, this hurt.

Closest they ever got.

This hurt too. 2016 mls cup final. If this went in we could have won  but lost on pk's in the end. At least we won the cup the following season

Edited by Jattdogg

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

As a bills fan, this hurt.

Closest they ever got.

This hurt too. 2016 mls cup final. If this went in we could have won  but lost on pk's in the end. At least we won the cup the following season

God damn you Norwood! :@

• Haha 1

Guest ttfn
1 hour ago, Mark_w said:

Not sure why you’ve deleted, but in answer to your post I must just be misunderstanding, I thought England were completely outplayed.

I’ve had this discussion with people before, it’s not a productive use of my time!

England v Croatia would've been less gutting if they'd have just hammered us.

Instead we got ourselves into a great position, at 1-0 up Kane spurned an absolute sitter, then Southgate flapped as Croatia got a foothold and once the tide had turned there was only ever going to be one winner.

That said, I was more gutted after Euro 2004 than I was the World Cup. France would've beaten us comfortably last year, but in my opinion 2004 is the only tourney this side of the millennium we  had the form to win until Rooney's injury in that Portugal game, even after that the ref robbed us of a perfectly legitimate goal. 

• Like 1

There's plenty regarding Leicester. The two worst ones have to be the playoff defeats in 2010 and 2013.

Brazil 1-7 Germany. 

Massa losing the 2008 F1 world championship in the last 30 seconds of the season.

When Seria A was big in the 90s and Sampdoria won it, I was an unashamedly glory hunter of them as a kid. I remember absolutely balling my eyes out when Koeman scored that free kick to win the Champions League for Barca, what an inconsolable little kid (and a nightmare for my folks that night) lol

Not really involving me but we had some family over from Seattle a few years back and during the SuperBowl Im sure they had a chance to win it with the last play when all they had to do was pass it to the "SuperStar" of the NFL as they kept saying and he would just skip over the line to win the game, they were all pretty much celebrating before hand ?

Anyway seems they didnt even pass to this player and lost a few seconds later...to this day its not allowed to be mentioned in any conversation and you can tell it still hurts ?

Edited by EastAnglianFox