Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Sporting Losses You Will Never Get Over

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Not really involving me but we had some family over from Seattle a few years back and during the SuperBowl Im sure they had a chance to win it with the last play when all they had to do was pass it to the "SuperStar" of the NFL as they kept saying and he would just skip over the line to win the game, they were all pretty much celebrating before hand ?

Anyway seems they didnt even pass to this player and lost a few seconds later...to this day its not allowed to be mentioned in any conversation and you can tell it still hurts ?

I remember that well. What a colossal fuch up that was lol

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I got banned from foxestalk for two weeks for what I said when Germany scored the late winner against Algeria in the 2014 World Cup. I’ve grown up a bit since then lol 

What the hell could you have said about that to get a two week ban? lol

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

Wycombe. Our best chance in the FA Cup in the past 35 years. I really feel we could've won it that year.

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Still would have been a tall order with Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs the other semifinalists, but who knows?

Yeah 1997 was a better chance, as I mentioned earlier, when Chelsea cheated us in the 5th round. We'd have been in a quarter final with Chesterfield, Wrexham, Portsmouth, Sheff Wed, Wimbledon, Derby and Middlesbrough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1992 play off final lost to Blackburn and 2005, when Tigers lost to Wasps. We beat them by 40pts in the league and then a few weeks later got hammered by them in the premiership final. Really gutted because we were the better team, but Wasps did a number on us for that one game. 

Edited by sm1
  • Like 1

If you’re not from Cleveland, you are a mere poseur in this thread.

Let others revel in the glory of their championships.  Our fame is not in losing, but in grabbing defeat from the jaws of certain victory, preferably as late in the playoffs as possible.  Extra innings in the deciding game of the baseball World Series is a favorite.

Red Right 88 *  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Right_88

The Drive *  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drive

The Fumble  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fumble

The Shot *  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shot

Indians lose World Series in game 7, extra innings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_World_Series

Indians lose World Series in game 7, extra innings  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_World_Series

Indians playoff elimination losses 2013*, 2017 *

(* = I was at the game)

Have to say though, I’m over them all, nobody’s had more practice coping.

• Haha 2

I know the guy is an arsehole but it was David Haye who got me into boxing.

I was always a huge fan of him. When he lost to Bellew the first time, I was gutted, but the second beating he took made me realise he knew he was past it and just carried on for a final pay day.

Edited by RonnieTodger

Packers @ Seahawks in 2012 - the fail mary with the final play to lose the game. I was fuming to lose the game with such a crap call at the end of it having played so well. 

Likewise Packers @ Seahawks in the play offs in 2015. We were on a great season and seemed certain to win the Superbowl. Championship game, comfortably in front against a Seahawks team who were near unbeatable at home it seemed.... 19-7 up with three minutes to go and after some awful play calling and a disasterous attempt at recovering an onside kick, we ended up being 22-19 down with seconds remaining. Got it back to 22-22 to take it to overtime but heads had gone and Seahawks finished it off something like 4 plays later. 

Never like Seattle after that those two games. 

Other mentions: 

England v Germany in Euro 96. Still wince when Gazza slides in and just can't stretch enough to knock into the empty net.

The Watford game was the lowest I've ever felt as a Leicester fan and something I thought I'd never get over. But ironically it was the toughness of that result which I think inspired what we are today and the catalyst for our title win the following season and two seasons after that.

When you go through something like that- it really can go either way and thankfully for us it went the right way.

• Like 1

As many have mentioned before 

England vs Germany Euro 96, a fantastic summer, great tournament and we had a great side, we were destined to win it, but ?

Again another game this time involving City that I thought we were destined to win, the play off final vs Swindon, to come back from 3-0 down to 3-3 we just had to win, the game was there for the taking and then disaster ?

As a Leicestershire  cricket fan I’d also like to mention the season of 2001, a Lord’s final vs Somerset, we had Afridi smashing our way to the Sunday league as well, we lost out on both, Boswell got the yips at Lords and somehow Kent came from nowhere to win the Sunday league 

On 30/07/2019 at 19:19, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

As a Leicestershire  cricket fan I’d also like to mention the season of 2001, a Lord’s final vs Somerset, we had Afridi smashing our way to the Sunday league as well, we lost out on both, Boswell got the yips at Lords and somehow Kent came from nowhere to win the Sunday league 

Somerset ruined our season in the space of three weeks. We lost twice to them in the one day league and lost our nerve and grip on a trophy we should've wrapped up with games to spare.

The last season the county were strong in all formats of the game.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Somerset ruined our season in the space of three weeks. We lost twice to them in the one day league and lost our nerve and grip on a trophy we should've wrapped up with games to spare.

The last season the county were strong in all formats of the game.

How times have changed!, the final was the same day England thrashed Germany,, always felt sorry for Boswell that day, having a complete nightmare and experienced pros like Vince Wells and Daffy just left him to it.

I fear cricket has changed so much since then that we’ll never be a force again.

On 25/07/2019 at 19:39, Facecloth said:

Chelsea in the 5th round of the fa cup in 1997, when Erland Johnsen dived to win a penalty in the replay. Looking at the teams left in, we'd have probably won it that year had we gone through.

Most definitely this.

The Watford game is easy to take for the opposite reason, we'd of robbed  them had we scored that penalty and Antony got exactly what he deserved. Plus the fact now we've won the Prem any league defeat seems a bit insignificant