Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Former Player Remembers: Steve Howard

"Steve signed for Leicester in January 2009 and, despite the Club’s relegation four months later, he was Player of the Year in the record-breaking team which stormed to the League 1 title the following season. "

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1294220/former-player-remembers-steve-howard/featured

Was it Leeds he scored that late winner against?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't that game and goal the one that solidified that we'd go up? 

Pretty sure the big deal with the goal was that it sealed promotion back to the Championship... Hence why it's such a memorable and great goal. 

It was 10 years ago mind, so could totally have miss remembered. 

5 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

One of my favourite memories was being in the crowd for that last minute header Vs Leeds. Felt like such a restoration of pride in the club

Incredible. My old man shed a tear and it was incredible. I think we'd got so used to not getting that Hollywood ending. Or scoring headers. 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

I remember he did get sent off when you beat us 4-1 over Easter time a few years back..

lol That was so uncalled for to and, if I recall correctly, he was in good form and we were pushing/cementing a place for the play offs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LC/FC said:

Wasn't that game and goal the one that solidified that we'd go up? 

Pretty sure the big deal with the goal was that it sealed promotion back to the Championship... Hence why it's such a memorable and great goal. 

It was 10 years ago mind, so could totally have miss remembered. 

No. The importance of this goal always seems to be hugely overstated. Didn't seal promotion, we were almost certainly gonna go up by this stage anyway so it didn't give us extra momentum and Leeds were miles behind us so they weren't really rivals for promotion.  Was just a late winner in a promotion season really.

And if I can go against the grain of this thread, whilst he was important in the league one season he was generally a hopeless carthorse for us in the championship. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

No. The importance of this goal always seems to be hugely overstated. Didn't seal promotion, we were almost certainly gonna go up by this stage anyway so it didn't give us extra momentum and Leeds were miles behind us so they weren't really rivals for promotion.  Was just a late winner in a promotion season really.

And if I can go against the grain of this thread, whilst he was important in the league one season he was generally a hopeless carthorse for us in the championship. 

So basically it was great because it meant we beat Leeds... Totally fair enough lol

7 hours ago, Steven said:

"Steve signed for Leicester in January 2009 and, despite the Club’s relegation four months later, he was Player of the Year in the record-breaking team which stormed to the League 1 title the following season. "

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1294220/former-player-remembers-steve-howard/featured

Was it Leeds he scored that late winner against?

Without backtracking then it's probably been mentioned and noted by a few onlookers already but : the article was right while the OP was a year out with when he signed for us. He signed in Jan.2008 in the rather wayward hope that he would propel us towards the Championship play offs under controversial managerial recruit Ian Holloway : instead we got relegated at the death of course in that infamous, weirdest of weird seasons! By the same stage in 2009 he had become our main hope of going up as Champions of L1 of course, which we effortlessly did. Who would've bet even a £1 coin that we'd have been Prem. League Champions just 7 short years later though?! - not me!  

34 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

So basically it was great because it meant we beat Leeds... Totally fair enough lol

Can't remember when we last played them now! ;-) 

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

You say that but had he played against Cardiff in the first play off semi leg (at home) then we might well have been playing and beating Blackpool in the PO Final! Then again it wasn't to be  of course! 

Just what we needed at the time. Used to get a lot, and I mean A LOT, of stick on here from idiots for not being classy or having finesse, but guess what, we were in League One and he was still good enough to help us reach the Championship play-offs.

Was always a big loss for us when he didn't play in 08/09 and 09/10. 

He was an excellent target man at flicking the ball on and assisting Fryatt.

Wish he played the first leg Vs Cardiff as he bossed them second leg after suspension