Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mucfox

The One Man Striker Club

Imo, Jamie Vardy is one of the best strikers in Europe. We can be very happy that he has remained faithful to Leicester throughout the last years. He could do it in other clubs, by that I mean, a lot easier with top6 clubs or other big clubs in Europe. The current LCFC style of play does not reveal his true skills. He is largely isolated throughout the games and completely on his own. The transfer of Riyad Mahrez was a bitter loss for the club, but especially for JV. Unfortunately, in three transfer periods the club has not reacted  to find a good partner or replacement for JV. Apart from JV there is no player, who is dangerous near or in front of the goal. There would be enough money, but imo there is a lack of a good scouting department. Who can understand that Slimani (5yrs contract / annual salary £4.16mio / transfer fee £25.5mio) Nacho (5yrs contract / annual salary £3.12  /transfer fee £23.5mio) and ultimately Ghezzal (4yrs contract / annual salary £2.34mio / transfer fee

£12.5mio) were purchased. What would happen, if JV actually got injured and would be missing for months. Should one of the 3 above or even Gray, replace him???  I don't think there's any other club in the PL that's worse off in the striker position than LCFC. There are no partners for JV or alternatives to JV and that's just amazing. For this reason, I could not understand the "Jon Rudkin Appreciation Thread" on "Transfer Talk" from 02.August. In today's football business it is relatively easy to sell good players for millions, but it is much harder to find and buy good players. That's what LCFC proved very impressively and successfully a few years ago (Vardy, Kante, Mahrez). Maybe something will happen in the January transfer window.

Many Foxes fans would be very happy for sure...and Jamie Vardy, too.

It's undeniable how an alternative to Vardy is needed. Games like yesterday he becomes anonymous, not necessarily through his own fault but due to either our style of play or the opposition set up. 

Wolves defended against him well and he had no time or space move, which doesn't suit him at all. He can still be a threat tho, look at his goal record under Puel. He scored a lot for what was a negative style of play and no cutting edge at all. 

This is why his record against the top teams is so good, because they will have more of the ball which means more chances at the other end for Vardy. 

I'm not so sure what an alternative is though and we have really struggled in finding one. Slimani has a decent style of play for that sort of game but he's very poor and a lazy player. Ihenacho could be classed more as a poacher but if he can't get in the team or develop under Rodgers then he never will imo.

I would have liked a signings like Rondon. In order to create space and have somewhat of an aerial threat too in the box. 

We looked more threatening with wingers in the second half yesterday. But in doing this we put more high balls into the box with little or no chance of any our players winning something in the air.

We will have to sign Vardy's replacement one day and it won't be cheap. Strikers that consistently score 20+ goals a season at the highest level are rare. He really is a better player than most give him credit for. He's in the top 5 best strikers in the Premier League for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Problem is, as shown against wolves, sit back with 5 defenders and you can nullify Jamie's main attacking threat. Should have got Andy Carroll in as a plan c.

If Plan C is to buy someone to keep Matty James company in the treatment room, then yes, we should have done that. 

And what was Plan B?

• Haha 4

I agree that our striker situation is not very strong in terms of depth - If Vardy was to get injured, I would be very worried.

I was very excited about both Slimani and Iheanacho but unfortunately both have disappointed. Both Sturridge and Llorente are free agents but I am unsure if they would be good additions in comparison to Slimani and Iheanacho or if we would be settling just because they are free agents.

My real hope is that we can find another gem like we did Mahrez.

I don't think the quality of Vardy has decreased, I just think we need to play football which is directed to his strengths as he is the one that will get us the lions share of goals - Isolating him upfront renders him almost useless.

13 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

We will have to sign Vardy's replacement one day and it won't be cheap. Strikers that consistently score 20+ goals a season at the highest level are rare. He really is a better player than most give him credit for. He's in the top 5 best strikers in the Premier League for me.

We have had the opportunities and finances to do so since we won the Premier League but have failed miserably. Was it wise to spend £50m on Perez and Praet when we needed a striker?

1 minute ago, Hollyfox said:

Llorente would be a very good option to have. 

Totally changed the CL semi v Ajax 

They really struggled with him. 

In Brendan we trust

We should have signed Dzeko and Arnautovic instead of Slimani and Musa back in 2016. Shakey wasted money on Nacho who seemed to be a replacement for Shinji

• Like 1

All clubs make bad signings. 

Sir Alex even had some dodgy ones. 

Villa signing so many new players this season, I'll be surprised if half of them are a success. 

We've signed some bad ones but we've signed a few incredibly good ones that have made us decent profits 👍

55 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Problem is, as shown against wolves, sit back with 5 defenders and you can nullify Jamie's main attacking threat. Should have got Andy Carroll in as a plan c.

Could we also get Darren Anderton in to supply him with crosses?

35 minutes ago, 49er said:

We have had the opportunities and finances to do so since we won the Premier League but have failed miserably. Was it wise to spend £50m on Perez and Praet when we needed a striker?

So the 50million could of been spent on a striker.....but what striker (providing we spent 40million plus) would come and sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Vardy?

Agree that we’ve failed miserably in our attempts though.

• Like 1

Biggest conundrum is that Vardy will always be the top dog. So any striker we do buy would have to be content playing a secondary role, usually off the bench. 

Finding someone of that quality who's willing to be that is incredibly difficult. And we've fallen short thus far.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That's not strictly true is it? Last season under Rodgers he thrived and scored 9 goals in 10 games, but not only did he score a significant amount he also was involved in the play a lot more which had been absent under the Puel regime, even when he scored 20 the year before it was often 1-2 chances per game that he scored in with precious little else to do. I agree regarding alternative players in our squad, but it's difficult to keep such a player happy when you have someone as dominant and as good as Vardy. Spurs have struggled, they tend to rely on players like Son and Moura who aren't strikers and who play out wide or behind Kane to fill in the void when he is unavailable. That is our thought process with Perez I think, he scored 13 league goals last season which isn't to be sniffed at and hopefully he will lead the line if Vardy were ever unavailable. Then there's Iheanacho, I still have hope he will be of use to us but how much depends on how often he gets a chance, but that's a two way street. I can see why he isn't used much at the minute but until he gets another opportunity and does something meaningful like score a Premier League goal again then he's not going to be used much.

Just cos the OP didn't use paragraphs, doesn't mean you should.

I expect better from a Ric Flair post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Just cos the OP didn't use paragraphs, doesn't mean you should.

I expect better from a Ric Flair post.

Wow, I don't know what to say. Immediate reaction is this is a tuck up job and someone's deleted my spacing but I'll take it on the chin and apologise. Won't happen again Trav 😂

• Haha 2