Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

FAI reaches out as Maddison considers switch

David Sneyd

August 24 2019 2:30 AM

The FAI have begun tentative attempts to recruit Leicester City's James Maddison after receiving some encouragement about his possible willingness to switch allegiances.

The 22-year-old was previously on the radar of Ireland's underage scouts during his early days at Coventry City and Norwich City before being called up by England's U-21s in 2017.

Maddison was also included in the senior squad by manager Gareth Southgate for the Nations League games with Spain and Croatia last October, but failed to make an appearance.

It is now understood that FAI officials have been made aware that a switch could be possible should he be overlooked for next month's Euro 2020 qualifying games with Bulgaria and Kosovo.

Ireland boss Mick McCarthy has also been informed of the situation and is keen to try and help get Maddison, who qualifies through a grandparent, on board - even if the process of completing the switch would be particularly complicated.

The Leicester man has been in fine form so far this term, impressing in both draws against Wolves and Chelsea ahead of today's clash with Sheffield United.

Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers revealed earlier this week that he has not held any discussions with Southgate regarding Maddison's development, but heaped praise on his ability.

"I haven't spoken to Gareth. Since I've come in, I've been so impressed by James," said Rodgers.

"He's got a great football brain, technically he's a high level, everyone sees chances he creates, how he finds space and creates opportunities for others, and he's tactically improving all the time. He has confidence as he puts the work in."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-reaches-out-as-maddison-considers-switch-38431909.html

No way his agent is behind this. Southgate would not react well to being pushed like this.  You either want to play for your country or you want to play international football. Madders is desperate to play for England - it’s often all he talks about ......... I reckon this is the FAI trying to get a dig in after the rice saga ........

15 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's probably a big bonus attached to getting a competitive England cap.

There's appearance fees but they traditionally get donated to charity by the players. Being an England player would be good for sponsorship reasons, though. 

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The governing bodies should bin off the qualifying via grandparent route. It's stupid. Parent's nationality is as far as it should go. Players need to realise that playing international football is a privilege, not a right.

... how does that work then? 

If your grandad is Jamaican and he married an English woman, any of their offsprings would have dual nationality. It is perfectly legitimate to seek to ascertain if a player would play for his grandparents country. 

My take is that it is not where you were born but your heritage. 

• Like 2

With all the 'modern' was to conceive a child it'll soon be a case of choose who you want to play for as many will have little or no knowledge of their lineage. 

He'd be mad to switch ROI are going through a really bad phase at the moment and don't even Maddison joining would make instant impact. For me your born in England, live in England your English end of. Maddison will be part of England setup soon, he just must be patient. I honestly think he will be part of Euro 2020 squad come the summer, if we qualify of course.

Edited by Leicesterpool