Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Ghezzal Goes to Fiorentina

Good luck to him, not really sure why we bought him (isn't that what scouts are for to assess the player before we throw money at them?). I suppose it's another scapegoat off the books for a while, we'll need another one soon...oh hang on we've got Perez.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Talent?

Not at all, he was nowhere near as bad as people make out. But others have either ridiculous work rate (Albrighton), Pace (Gray), Explosive / direct running (Barnes) that stands them out. Ghezzal was just ok at a lot of stuff, without that one area of his game that elevates him up a level I don't think he'll ever make it at this level. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not at all, he was nowhere near as bad as people make out. But others have either ridiculous work rate (Albrighton), Pace (Gray), Explosive / direct running (Barnes) that stands them out. Ghezzal was just ok at a lot of stuff, without that one area of his game that elevates him up a level I don't think he'll ever make it at this level. 

This revisionism is odd. He was garbage. Glad to see him go. That’s my opinion. Yours is different. I respect that. 

• Like 1

Oh here comes the "he wasn't that bad" revisionism. 

He's a well paid professional moving to a huge club, not a poor kid dying, we don't have to be nice about him. He's shit and exactly as shit as people make out. 

Slimani was never as bad as he was made out to be, he scored a lot in Portugal, he scored a fair amount per minute for us, by no means the worst in the league, he scored plenty for Algeria and he's gone on to score three in four already for Monaco. 

Ghezzal is crap. They think he's crap in Lyon, they think he's crap in Monaco, they think he's crap in Algeria. Nothing to do with the pace of the Premier league, he's just not a top flight footballer. 

11 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

This revisionism is odd. He was garbage. Glad to see him go. That’s my opinion. Yours is different. I respect that. 

It's not revisionism when it was my opinion from the start. I'm also not sure how it's revisionism to suggest he's missing an ingredient to actually make it at this level. 

Edited by Babylon

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Got nothing against the player but he was always a questionable signing. After Mahrez was sold I believe Puel’s initial plan was to have Gray and Diabate compete for the position. But Diabate had a shocking preseason and Gray was his usual up and down self. Ghezzal was therefore brought in as another option but let’s be honest the reality is we went from having one of the best wingers in the league to having three mediocre ones battling among themselves. 

What’s frustrating is that we still haven’t truly replaced Mahrez. We will see in time how Perez pans out but he’s not the same type of player. I feel we miss someone that cuts in and can finish. Also none of our wingers have the same sort of creativity as Mahrez; I’m thinking about passes to Vardy for goals against Liverpool and West Brom as examples. 

Anyway good luck to Ghezzal. I don’t think he ever really stood a chance here with the way things planned out. 

I think there's a portion of LCFC fans that finally ought to get over the myth that we somehow have to replace Mahrez just for the sake of it or find somebody who can fill his shoes perfectly.

Too much romanticism involved, I wish these people would finally be able to let go.

No player is irreplaceable or bigger than the club, not even Vardy (at some stage in the near future).

It's more about a new style of play that suits the players that we have on our books, a style of play shaped and inspired by Brendan Rodgers. And so far, it appears to be working just fine.

It's coming together, we're gelling again. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I think there's a portion of LCFC fans that finally ought to get over the myth that we somehow have to replace Mahrez just for the sake of it or find somebody who can fill his shoes perfectly.

Too much romanticism involved, I wish these people would finally be able to let go.

No player is irreplaceable or bigger than the club, not even Vardy (at some stage in the near future).

It's more about a new style of play that suits the players that we have on our books, a style of play shaped and inspired by Brendan Rodgers. And so far, it appears to be working just fine.

It's coming together, we're gelling again. :D

I very much agree with your point that we shouldn't be obsessed with finding a player that can fills his shoes perfectly. There are plenty of ways to win a game of football, and Mahrez is likely going to go down as a complete one off as a player here.

But I do think it's fair to be concerned that we haven't replaced his goals and assists. In 15/16 he had 17 goals, 11 assists. In 17/18 he had 12 goals, 10 assists. Those are elite level numbers in the Premier League, and the reason why Man City paid 60m for him. Last season Vardy had 18 goals, and the next highest scorer was Maddison on 7, 3 of which were from set pieces. We need more players that can get to the 10 goals mark!

As you say we could well get those goals from a combination of players and team style. I for one hope so! I'd have my hopes on Tielemans and Maddison for now, possibly Barnes and Perez. But I wouldn't have minded another top class attacking player up there...

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Oh here comes the "he wasn't that bad" revisionism. 

As I said back in Jan, you start going through the minutes he's played and when he did and didn't perform well... he really wasn't as bad as people make out. Good enough for what we want to go, no. But not really worthy of all the insults he gets either.

We shouldn't have signed him, certainly not for the price we did as it was clear as day he'd never string a run of games together to ever be a starter.

• Like 1