Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Inside Brendan Rodgers' Leicester revolution: How periodisation and Kolo Toure's videos are fuelling City's rise

10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Great article but I feel it's a bit harsh on Puel making him out as some type of bad guy. 

Was it making him out to be a bad guy? I thought it just said he was dour and bewildering. 

He was pretty dour and his tactics were often bewildering, like setting up at home to Palace for a 0-0.

Don't get me wrong he did some good with some of the young players and the evolution of our football but I do feel he had taken us as far as he could. 

Good article although this bit is hardly revolutionary. I learnt it on my FA Level 1 course.

The seeds of the transformation have been sown on the training pitch. The week’s sessions are largely based on tactical periodisation, essentially a form of training in four phases - attack, defence and the transitions in between.

• Like 2

Rodgers has increased the intensity and we play with more purpose now then under Puel, but it was Puel who cemented the foundations for this controlling and possession based game.

One thing I really like under Rodgers is that we are not afraid to launch it long if we need to play in that way. If teams press us too high, we have the perfect man up front to exploit that. I think we are becoming more of a complete team under Rodgers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:
Rodgers prefers a tight training group of 20 players who can remain “super-competitive” and know they are connected to the matchday squad. His reasoning is that “if you have 25 players training, five or six can think they’re too far away from the first team.”

This sounds cool, but isn't cutting the squad size to reduce the players who think they're too far from the team to play a bit counterproductive? Now they KNOW they're too far from the team... and do they train solo? Seems a bit harsh. 

I wonder who the twenty would be.

Schmeichel

Ward

Ricardo

Evans

Morgan

Benkovic

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Fuchs

Ndidi

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Albrighton

Perez

Gray

Vardy

Leaves Iheanacho, J. James out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

This sounds cool, but isn't cutting the squad size to reduce the players who think they're too far from the team to play a bit counterproductive? Now they KNOW they're too far from the team... and do they train solo? Seems a bit harsh. 

Schmeichel

Ward

Ricardo

Evans

Morgan

Benkovic

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Fuchs

Ndidi

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Albrighton

Perez

Gray

Vardy

Great point.

Don't see that Iheanacho is left out of training. no chance. J.James won't be either though from what I've seen he could fit in with the U23s.

8 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Schmeichel

Ward

Ricardo

Evans

Morgan

Benkovic

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Fuchs

Ndidi

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Albrighton

Perez

Gray

Vardy

I was wondering that as well. Sounds a bit odd to me but I can sort of see positives too.

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Schmeichel

Ward

Ricardo

Evans

Morgan

Benkovic

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Fuchs

Ndidi

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Albrighton

Perez

Gray

Vardy

HMMM. I thought we actually had named twenty three in the PL squad including Silva and Slimani. Take them, Matty James (injured) and third keeper out add Nacho and that gives twenty. JJ is under twenty one so is a free hit.  besides surely, unless you were going to draft some of the academy players in you would need at least 22 for a full practice match?  I think when he talks of a core squad of twenty he is not necessarily being literal.  Even with that number and a certain amount of rotation, certain players will know that they will most likely be bit part players (eg anyone who plays up front but is not called Jamie Vardy, or back up keepers etc)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

It also mentions in the article that Rodgers often invites some of the u23s to train with the first team, so something clearly doesn't add up.

At a guess, for general training (fitness drills, practice matches, etc) it'll be the full group plus some youngsters, but when we're doing match-specific training (i.e. set piece routines, specific drills to combat Man Utd's style of play) then he'll reduce the training group size to those he's planning on selecting and a few extra. The reporter has probably picked up on the latter and stated it in a way which makes it seem like that's the default for all training.

Players who don't make the cut will probably have separate sessions with the fitness coaches/analysts etc. so that they can break into that main group.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a very good article, and fascinating too. The part about players always being within ten yards of each other is something that has been very noticeable since Rodgers took over as generally our positioning has been superb. The 20 core players part I also think is really evident as this season it seems like every time we make a sub, the subs impact the match as they know what they've got to do and how to do it. You can tell they are part of the squad and not just on the periphery.  

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Great article but I feel it's a bit harsh on Puel making him out as some type of bad guy. 

Maybe because in reality, as detailed by pretty much everyone that happened to be close to things behind the scenes (Percy, Geoff Peters, Huth etc), he was actually massively shit and a bit of a bellend?

I stood up for the bloke at times but the evidence since he left is damning. Sod him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Maybe because in reality, as detailed by pretty much everyone that happened to be close to things behind the scenes (Percy, Geoff Peters, Huth etc), he was actually massively shit and a bit of a bellend?

I stood up for the bloke at times but the evidence since he left is damning. Sod him

I'm sure he was, but as King highlights himself in his article. He was bombing out a load of past it players who didn't like it... a shit or not, it was a hard task to take on and having loads of bitter players not liking the fact their careers are coming to an end here is going to hinder you. So will being a shit of course. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm sure he was, but as King highlights himself in his article. He was bombing out a load of past it players who didn't like it... a shit or not, it was a hard task to take on and having loads of bitter players not liking the fact their careers are coming to an end here is going to hinder you. So will being a shit of course. 

I'm sure it wasn't an easy job but by all accounts he went about it like a bit of a nob. When said players had such a good history here too, going about it in the way he allegedly did was nothing short of thick.

If it were Brendan, or anyone with genuine man management skills for that matter, I'm sure there'd have been far less friction when transitioning the squad.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Good article although this bit is hardly revolutionary. I learnt it on my FA Level 1 course.

The seeds of the transformation have been sown on the training pitch. The week’s sessions are largely based on tactical periodisation, essentially a form of training in four phases - attack, defence and the transitions in between.

Instead of using your knowledge as way to put down the manager and the article why not use it as a way to educate us more about the game?

I'm always hungry for informed information and insights about the way its played. Share please if you have the time.