Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Inside Brendan Rodgers' Leicester revolution: How periodisation and Kolo Toure's videos are fuelling City's rise

49 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Instead of using your knowledge as way to put down the manager and the article why not use it as a way to educate us more about the game?

I'm always hungry for informed information and insights about the way its played. Share please if you have the time.

1. I didn't put anyone down - I'm a big BR fan

2. I said it was a good article

3. The article said that tactical periodisation was partly fueling the Leicester rise. I merely observed that this method isn't new or revolutionary and in fact I'd be amazed if all PL teams didn't set up training sessions based on the four phases of attack, defence and the transitions in between. If anything, it's just Percy using unnecessary fancy words.

And if you're hungry for more information and insights try @StriderHiryu as he knows way more than me :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

1. I didn't put anyone down - I'm a big BR fan

2. I said it was a good article

3. The article said that tactical periodisation was partly fueling the Leicester rise. I merely observed that this method isn't new or revolutionary and in fact I'd be amazed if all PL teams didn't set up training sessions based on the four phases of attack, defence and the transitions in between. If anything, it's just Percy using unnecessary fancy words.

And if you're hungry for more information and insights try @StriderHiryu as he knows way more than me :thumbup:

You made the mistake of letting the cat out of the bag by your FA coaching classes/experience.:) Sorry for putting you on the spot.

5 minutes ago, SO1 said:

You made the mistake of letting the cat out of the bag by your FA coaching classes/experience.:) Sorry for putting you on the spot.

Maybe the point I'm trying to clumsily make is that some in the media (and on this forum) sometimes make BR out to be some sort of new age, modern, tactical revolutionary. I'm sure he does employ modern methods but I'm also sure he's not the only one.

My guess the main reason he's getting more out of Vardy etc. now is down to good old fashioned 'man management' skills. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Maybe the point I'm trying to clumsily make is that some in the media (and on this forum) sometimes make BR out to be some sort of new age, modern, tactical revolutionary. I'm sure he does employ modern methods but I'm also sure he's not the only one.

My guess the main reason he's getting more out of Vardy etc. now is down to good old fashioned 'man management' skills. 

Modern football/sport is show business. Big bucks.

To be a successful modern manager/leader you have to be constantly marketing/selling/promoting yourself or you disappear in an ocean of rising talent. As sickening as it seems sometimes, they(Klopp,Guardiola,Mourinho etc.) all have to do it. It's part of the job description.

Vardy= Man management skills and he's a Fvcking force of Nature and the fact that he's an absolute ****(would you want to face him?) make him one of the best strikers in the world. Period. How Puel let that languish I'll never know. Thankful that Rodgers has the ability not to waste his precious talent. A blessing to us all.

Edited by SO1

Our playing style this season hasn't been that far from what we were playing under Puel tbh, I love Rodgers and were happy that puel went, but I think the honeymoon period is clouding people's views so far. I think the major difference though is him getting a tune out of Vardy something puel couldn't do towards the end and a lot more tactical consistency 

12 hours ago, Xen said:

It also mentions in the article that Rodgers often invites some of the u23s to train with the first team, so something clearly doesn't add up.

At a guess, for general training (fitness drills, practice matches, etc) it'll be the full group plus some youngsters, but when we're doing match-specific training (i.e. set piece routines, specific drills to combat Man Utd's style of play) then he'll reduce the training group size to those he's planning on selecting and a few extra. The reporter has probably picked up on the latter and stated it in a way which makes it seem like that's the default for all training.

Players who don't make the cut will probably have separate sessions with the fitness coaches/analysts etc. so that they can break into that main group.

Every week, some senior players will be involved with the u23s. It’s likely they’ll train with them that week too. Add in any players who have minor injuries who can’t train fully and I’d bet you’re struggling for 20 fully fit senior squad players every day. There’s plenty of scope to bring in the young lads at least a couple of days per week. I wouldn’t read too much into this.

17 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Puel had to be the bad guy though tbh, if we hired someone that wants to be everyone's best mate we would still have the older players that aren't good enough involved in the matchday sides and still playing hoofball, and not this young exciting team. Puel obviously was a questionable character and the football was often painful, but what he did was pretty important to get us to this point.

This basically sums it up. 

It doesn't matter that the football was boring, he was a bit of a tool and a few of the senior players didn't like him- there was a difficult job which desperately needed doing in transforming the squad and he did it pretty well. 

In the end, that job was done, he'd taken us as far as he could and we're now seeing the benefit under someone who can take us to the next level.

I like a lot of the article- you really get a sense that this is just the beginning under Rodgers. Granted, he's most likely not going to be here in 5 years' time, but we're already in good shape and it does seem like we're only going to improve as the squad matures. The next couple of years could be very entertaining! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Collymore said:

Great article but I feel it's a bit harsh on Puel making him out as some type of bad guy. 

Every article seems to pull poor Claude apart, but as the report shows that BR came here because of the potential of the squad. Do you really think BR would have come here with the squad Shakey had? I doubt it and we should at least applaud Claude for that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm sure he was, but as King highlights himself in his article. He was bombing out a load of past it players who didn't like it... a shit or not, it was a hard task to take on and having loads of bitter players not liking the fact their careers are coming to an end here is going to hinder you. So will being a shit of course. 

There is a way of doing things. A decorum if you like. Let's just say Puel had no decorum at all.

23 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Every article seems to pull poor Claude apart, but as the report shows that BR came here because of the potential of the squad. Do you really think BR would have come here with the squad Shakey had? I doubt it and we should at least applaud Claude for that.

Let's applaud the recruitment team that scout players for 12 months plus to make our signings. That means our targets were scouted before Puel was here, he only stayed 18 months. He wasn't getting the best out of the potential we were signing.

He killed the atmosphere at the club with the way he treated players on the peripheral of the squad and that led to radiculously poor performances from our subs and reserve teams playing in the cups. 

The guy lost what makes this club special, if you want to be at Leicester city, you've got to buy into the philosophy of our club, built by our incredible owners and of course Mr Pearson in the years he built us to become a Prem team. 

Rodgers is a fantastic appointment, organised, tactically astute and a great man manager. He makes people feel good about themselves, boosts their confidence and builds on what's good, what can we make even better? 

If I saw one more corner under Puel, where we still had 4 players back and the corner stick to the man on front post, I think I might have gone crazy! 

More to the point, I never want to see our entire team defending set pieces ever again! Vardy needs to be an outlet, not a defender. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Our playing style this season hasn't been that far from what we were playing under Puel tbh, I love Rodgers and were happy that puel went, but I think the honeymoon period is clouding people's views so far. I think the major difference though is him getting a tune out of Vardy something puel couldn't do towards the end and a lot more tactical consistency 

They both have a desire to play possession and passing football but the biggest difference is in the transition from attack to defence. Under Puel if we lost the ball our midfield retreated to protect the defence normally because the full backs were pushed so far forward. Under Rodgers the midfield has license to press and try and win the ball back in dangerous positions. That is the biggest difference from what I have seen.

That and we are not scared to try a direct ball to Vardy once in a while.

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a very good article, and fascinating too. The part about players always being within ten yards of each other is something that has been very noticeable since Rodgers took over as generally our positioning has been superb. The 20 core players part I also think is really evident as this season it seems like every time we make a sub, the subs impact the match as they know what they've got to do and how to do it. You can tell they are part of the squad and not just on the periphery.  

Will be looking for this during the game today! Another awesome thing to look out for on top of all the duels and just the fact that it’s a huge game for us.