Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yes N'Didi

The Race for Top 6

1 hour ago, Tanya said:

I hate all this stuff about top six. Right now we are way off in my opinion. Let's reevaluate in the new year but all this giddiness about us making Europe or even the Champions League makes me very uncomfortable 

Agreed....added to that can our players stop talking about it please as there is no benefit whatsoever.

Its incredibly naive from the management to allow the amount of interviews and social media posts from our most juvenile team members (Chilwell and Maddison are the prime offenders) to be drawn into this ‘conversation’ publicly. All it does is to create extra pressure on every game we play, which I suspect they are not ready to handle. I’m all for aiming high, and been proactive in games but this sort of ‘positivity’ can work the other way.

Chilwell; you are ‘putting the cart before the horse’ mate. 

Learn to pass and cross a ball like a top six team left back does and the rest may follow ffs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gurru991 said:

We are not top six quality at the present moment and will need to improve in the final third to even take the seventh spot. The press have got a hold of this top six thing and I think some City fans are believing it.

I have no problems with us aiming for top six but we have work to do. Playing two defensive midfielders will not get us there.

.. hence the reason for the disquiet!! 

3 hours ago, Tanya said:

Heh. Touche.

I'm just saying I'm sceptical we have what it takes as of now to stay in that position.  Maybe I'm just being a negative nelly though

.. just bear with me for a second!! 

20 teams in the Premier league. 

Take out last seasons top six leaving 14 teams. Take us out of that 14 leaves us with 13, teams :

13 teams equal 26 games. 

Average 2 points a game (13 wins and 13 draws) = 52 points. 

If 64 points is what is required to get sixth then we will only need to convert 6 of our draws to wins to achieve this. 

.... is it possible or too far fetched? 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Every time a player makes one good pass or (very rarely) scores a goal  the hype merchants on here go over the top . Chilwell , Maddison , Tielmans ,Barnes etc. are works in progress , lot of improvement needed from them. Vardy , Evans and Albrighton are the real deal .Fernandinho last night showed what a great player is like, stepped in as centre back and captain and Man. City were back firing, without Aguero as well. Just his presence was enough to make the difference . Hamza is the only one who has arrived fully formed. He is a rarity though most either don' t mature until their mid-twenties or are one or two season wonders.

Edited by An Sionnach

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Take out last seasons top six leaving 14 teams. Take us out of that 14 leaves us with 13, teams :

13 teams equal 26 games. 

If 64 points is what is required to get sixth then we will only need to convert 6 of our draws to wins to achieve this. 

I'm always weary of raw calculations like this as there are too many variables ignored for it to be given any sort of credence.

For example looking at it the other way, you went and won at Stamford Bridge, and took four points in total against Liverpool and Man City last season which will be a hard ask again so if you factor that in it skews your calculation further.

Even ignoring the above for a second, even the statement "only need to convert 6 of our draws into wins" is a outlandish as this in itself is a big ask.

Point i'm trying to make is far too much to consider in terms of variables to boil the outcome of any team's season into a calculation. Furthermore standing still and getting the same points as the previous season is no given in the competitive nature of the EPL which invalidates the calculation further imo.

Best taking it game by game and tempering expectations accordingly or else people just get hysterical and demand manager sackings etc such is the way of modern football.  That cluster of sides from 15th - 6th in the premier league is so saturated and so close that 5 or 6 points can be the difference between finishing 15th or 8th in some cases, a scenario whereby a bad spate of injuries or loss of form at the wrong time could contribute to.

All that said I feel not significantly strengthening out wide in the summer may be Leicester's undoing this season unless it can be rectified in January.

I appreciate the thread, it's right, you need some sort of indicator beyond the table as the fixture computer rarely gives everyone an even spread of hard / moderate / easier games so in order to know where you're at now some kind of comparison to expectations or previous seasons is a good starting point.

I do wonder though if 64 points would be needed, if we're talking about finishing ahead of either Utd or Chelsea, are they likely to get that many this time around or might the required total be less as part of a scenario of a much of a muchness cluster of teams falling somewhere around the 58-60 mark?

29 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'm always weary of raw calculations like this as there are too many variables ignored for it to be given any sort of credence.

For example looking at it the other way, you went and won at Stamford Bridge, and took four points in total against Liverpool and Man City last season which will be a hard ask again so if you factor that in it skews your calculation further.

Even ignoring the above for a second, even the statement "only need to convert 6 of our draws into wins" is a outlandish as this in itself is a big ask.

Point i'm trying to make is far too much to consider in terms of variables to boil the outcome of any team's season into a calculation. Furthermore standing still and getting the same points as the previous season is no given in the competitive nature of the EPL which invalidates the calculation further imo.

Best taking it game by game and tempering expectations accordingly or else people just get hysterical and demand manager sackings etc such is the way of modern football.  That cluster of sides from 15th - 6th in the premier league is so saturated and so close that 5 or 6 points can be the difference between finishing 15th or 8th in some cases, a scenario whereby a bad spate of injuries or loss of form at the wrong time could contribute to.

All that said I feel not significantly strengthening out wide in the summer may be Leicester's undoing this season unless it can be rectified in January.

....I had already factored in getting no points from the top 6 from last season!!!!

This is not a science, just on paper a potential for garnering the points required to achieve top 6. Last season W15 D7 L16 ....my speculation W19 D7  L12...once again, just a way of seeing the potential!!!!!

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I had already factored in getting no points from the top 6 from last season!!!!

This is not a science, just on paper a potential for garnering the points required to achieve top 6. Last season W15 D7 L16 ....my speculation W19 D7  L12...once again, just a way of seeing the potential!!!!!

Fair enough on that should have noticed.

Rest of what I says still stands though, too many variables not just from a Leicester point of view but from the other 19 teams in the league and their respective points totals to afford any sort of credence to such calculations.

One game at a time.

Said before the season started I don't think it'll happen, I predicted us for 8th/9th, and I haven't really seen anything different to change my mind.

Our league position atm is okay given we've played Chelsea and Manchester United, both away.

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

13 teams equal 26 games. 

This is the way I look at it and it's cold due so as they are factors which you can not predict. 

However it's largely how Spurs, Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea all suffered periods of being shit for a few months but remained in the top six. Take Spurs last week - their form is been dire but then get a 4-0 win over Palace in the bag to keep up. 

On 19/09/2019 at 14:11, Oldblueyes said:

We wo'nt have to worry soon about a top six place. Looks as though Brendon has given up trying to keep our best players.

Man Utd will soon be called Leicester United if all reports are true.

Yeh cos all transfer rumours in September are definitely true.