Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Took criticism this season but without him we're so much worse defensively, as Wednesday night proved. Our best DM by miles and arguably one of best CBs now too.

Absolutely. But he's most effective in the 4141 formation we used in 2019/20. He's nowhere near as good in a 433 or 4231.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Absolutely. But he's most effective in the 4141 formation we used in 2019/20. He's nowhere near as good in a 433 or 4231.

Did we use that formation in that season? I might be misremembering, but I thought we used that only when Brendan arrived the season before and changed to 4231 in BR's first full season - 2019/20.

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Took criticism this season but without him we're so much worse defensively, as Wednesday night proved. Our best DM by miles and arguably one of best CBs now too.

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It’s not much of a comparison when there isn’t a CDM to check against!!

When he returns, I think he needs to play play CB until Fofana or Evans are fully fit. He's made a couple of errors vs Liverpool, one of which was costly, but generally he's looked solid and gives us far more aerial presence. 

Both Soyuncu and Amartey have played at their best alongside him. 

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Disagree that Wednesday night proved anything. People said this earlier in the season when he was out for a few games, then he came back in the side and we didn't improve defensively at all.

Up until this tail end of last season I would have agreed 100% of course, but we've looked absolutely no better defensively when he's played this season.

I'd be intrigued if anyone can do our goals conceded per 90 mins with and without him this season though to see what the actual statistics say.

Edited by Sampson

He’s the man you need when it comes to breaking up opposition attacks. He’s so reliable, never really gets beaten and always manages to get his foot in. He’s world class at what he does. 

This is why he works so well with Tilly. Wilf’s the defensive wall whilst Youri is the one who dictates the play. He would also work well with KDH who is your typical box to box midfielder.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

When he returns, I think he needs to play play CB until Fofana or Evans are fully fit. He's made a couple of errors vs Liverpool, one of which was costly, but generally he's looked solid and gives us far more aerial presence. 

Both Soyuncu and Amartey have played at their best alongside him. 

I'd prefer Ndidi in the midfield really. 

It's where his strengths lie and we're a better team for it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

....he pretty much needs to be a "1" (not the striker obviously) in the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1!!!

As soon as we realise he needs to have the license to play his own game without the hindrance of another player taking up his space, we will be better off. His distribution had improved last season, but we are looking for progressive passing from him, and that is not what he is going to give you.

Keeping it short and dropping it to the players who can effectively progress our play, is a big an asset, as singlehandedly progressing the ball by beating 5 opposition players and playing a through ball for an assist. Too many players believe, scoring is the only way it shows your contribution to the team, it is not, it doesn't matter who scores.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah I would play Amartey and Soy and Ndidi in midfield. Although Soy is doggo atm

That's the issue, Soy is so bad at the moment and looked much better with Ndidi alongside him. 

Fully agree midfield is Ndidi's best position but I don't have confidence in Soy taking responsibility with Amartey alongside him.

We might well find out on Sunday as likely they'll play together. 

Hope it works. 

23 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

That's the issue, Soy is so bad at the moment and looked much better with Ndidi alongside him. 

Fully agree midfield is Ndidi's best position but I don't have confidence in Soy taking responsibility with Amartey alongside him.

We might well find out on Sunday as likely they'll play together. 

Hope it works. 

....perhaps Soyuncu is not a player who looks to lead and his personality does not lend itself to taking the lead!!!

If that scenario plays out then Amartey will need to be the one to organise and a backup CB should not be the one to be taking the lead. We need an experienced head to come in and I still believe Tarkowski has already been earmarked to come in this summer.

For the price, Botman coming in for Vestergaard and the unlikely return of Evans would serve us well, but he is very much like Soyuncu and needs to be reigned in.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Ward

Justin

Amartey

Soy

Thomas

Tielemans

KDH

Lookman

Madders

Barnes

Daka

Got to have Wilf in there at the expense of Barnes. Lookman on left wing to offer some protection to Luke. JJ provides plenty of forward incursions down the right. 

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Got to have Wilf in there at the expense of Barnes. Lookman on left wing to offer some protection to Luke. JJ provides plenty of forward incursions down the right. 

If we're making changes because we're scared of Forest then god help us when we play powerhouses like Villa and Everton :D

I see the merit, but I'll stick with backing our footballers. Honestly having Wilf in their against Forests back 10 will be painful to watch as he slows down every move.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The ultimate p1sstake. You post a starting XI in the Wilfred Ndidi topic and don't even include him!

Hahahaha! I didn't realise!

Wilf, I can only apologise! I love you dearly and I'll be championing your return against a team that's deserving of those delicious Octopus legs!

• Haha 1

to me wilf is another example of rodgers horribly mismanaging things. ndidi is great but needs a simple role. he shouldnt be asked to attack, and the space to screen should be there for him always. if not, well were not using him right. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NasPb said:

to me wilf is another example of rodgers horribly mismanaging things. ndidi is great but needs a simple role. he shouldnt be asked to attack, and the space to screen should be there for him always. if not, well were not using him right. 

Yeah I have to agree at times he’s even caught pressing a little too high up the field then left in no mans land when we get caught on the counter leaving the entire central area in our own half free

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NasPb said:

3 hours ago, s11nny said:

Yeah I have to agree at times he’s even caught pressing a little too high up the field then left in no mans land when we get caught on the counter leaving the entire central area in our own half free

Could argue he's being coached to be a more accomplished player, we all want to be best the version of ourselves

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NasPb said:

4 hours ago, s11nny said:

37 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Could argue he's being coached to be a more accomplished player, we all want to be best the version of ourselves

I've said this for over 12 months.

He keeps getting further forward than Tielemans, regularly, when it shouldn't be happening even once.

No decent manager, tried to get Makelele scoring more goals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1