Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

There's an argument that Tielemans plays better in a midfield double pivot with a DCM like Ndidi but Ndidi plays better being left alone to marshall the area in front of the defence and not be in phases of play where he is on the ball for very long. 

It really shouldn't be that difficult to fine tune it but it does seem at times that Ndidi isn't involved in the area in front of the defence when the ball breaks and instead Tielemans is further back which is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Pretty impressive considering he's not played for us in a month.

Wasn't there a very close call on one where it would have been 3 penalties given away in 3 games? A total brain fart in the last few mins of a game? Southampton I think?

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wasn't there a very close call on one where it would have been 3 penalties given away in 3 games? A total brain fart in the last few mins of a game? Southampton I think?

Yes, Southampton he would’ve given away a pen if there wasn’t an offside prior to his tackle from memory. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa yes, isn't that 3 pen's he's given away in the last 2 months?

His positioning and concentration are really abysmal (relative to what a premier league centre back should have of course). Didn't we concede a goal because Wilf jumped under a ball and completely missed it as well? It's the kind of stuff you see in under 8s football haha.

It wasn’t that long ago that ndidi was considered our most important player and the one we feared losing most. I think that view dissipated about the time tielemans began to get stronger and more influential in the defensive side of the game. The stop start of the covid period hasn’t helped. 
I don’t think he has been abysmal at CB in fact far from it.  Wilf can appear ungainly due to his physique and ‘Spider-Man’ style of play. His style is unique the way he can stretch out those legs and tackle when you think they are out of reach. The thing I fear it’s that as he ages he will find the fluidity and physicality fades. He needs to compensate this with better understanding of the game and keep improving the technical aspects such as positioning decision making control and passing. Mentally he also seems to have improved in terms of consistency and bravery on the ball. 

He is still one of our most valuable players and one of the most likeable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supergray22 said:

It wasn’t that long ago that ndidi was considered our most important player and the one we feared losing most. I think that view dissipated about the time tielemans began to get stronger and more influential in the defensive side of the game. The stop start of the covid period hasn’t helped. 
I don’t think he has been abysmal at CB in fact far from it.  Wilf can appear ungainly due to his physique and ‘Spider-Man’ style of play. His style is unique the way he can stretch out those legs and tackle when you think they are out of reach. The thing I fear it’s that as he ages he will find the fluidity and physicality fades. He needs to compensate this with better understanding of the game and keep improving the technical aspects such as positioning decision making control and passing. Mentally he also seems to have improved in terms of consistency and bravery on the ball. 

When he was in charge of screening the defence by himself he looked incredible. Maddison and Tielemans didn't have to worry about losing possession because Wilf or one of the defenders would snuff out the majority of counter attacks and then we'd be back in the other teams half putting together another move.

We were very much like Man City or Liverpool when they just suffocate you and there's no way out.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

His positioning and concentration are really abysmal (relative to what a premier league centre back should have of course). Didn't we concede a goal because Wilf jumped under a ball and completely missed it as well? It's the kind of stuff you see in under 8s football haha.

...his heading ability has always been less than it should be!!!

If he doesn't have to jump to head the ball his timing does not come into it. It is when it comes to jumping and heading the ball, he struggles as he temps to jump early and the ball arrives when he is on his way down. It makes him look poor in both boxes and the backroom not fixing it is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

It probably coincided with our form for 2 seasons as a top 4/5 team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

...if Rodgers continues to change the way he plays, you are going to be consistently disappointed with what you see!!!

He plays in a way that protects the back four by his ability to read the play, and be where he should be  at any given time. If you will continue having him being part of the play supporting our attack then you are going to have those gaps where we are countered, and he is struggling to get back to close down the danger.

Only someone, so far removed from sanity, would continually retain the notion, that converting Ndidi is in anyway a success, or a benefit to us, or the player.

We all seem to be maligning his performances and now questions about is bravery and positioning.

It is quite clear to see, play him without the added burden of the pivot, he works hard and does the work of two, by doing what he does (or at least did) so well.

Edited by sacreblueits442

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if Rodgers continues to change the way he plays, you are going to be consistently disappointed with what you see!!!

He plays in a way that protects the back four by his ability to read the play, and be where he should be  at any given time. If you will continue having him being part of the play supporting our attack then you are going to have those gaps where we are countered, and he is struggling to get back to close down the danger.

Only someone, so far removed from sanity, would continually retain the notion, that converting Ndidi is in anyway a success, or a benefit to us, or the player.

We all seem to be maligning his performances and now questions about is bravery and positioning.

It is quite clear to see, play him without the added burden of the pivot, he works hard and does the work of two, by doing what he does (or at least did) so well.

You always have to play to strengths. Conte tried the same with Kante. Yes he improved going forward but lost more in terms of his strengths.  Got to love Wilf though. Top bloke. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Kept clean sheets vs Newcastle and Liverpool when he dropped in to CB though. 

That's fair. I am a bit undecided with Ndidi as CB though. I do think as a team we've generally looked more solid with him there this season, but he's obviously given away a few penalties and a bit bombscare there as an individual and I get nervous whenever he tries to tackle in the penalty area.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...his heading ability has always been less than it should be!!!

If he doesn't have to jump to head the ball his timing does not come into it. It is when it comes to jumping and heading the ball, he struggles as he temps to jump early and the ball arrives when he is on his way down. It makes him look poor in both boxes and the backroom not fixing it is embarrassing. 

This is a good point about heading and could easily apply to a lot of our defenders.

getting physically push away or beaten for height is one thing but I’ve seen so many goals against us that could have been prevented if Cags or vesty or n’didi or timmy or most recently JJ had better positioning and sense of timing. Evans have a masterclass for Ireland against Italy not long ago. Can’t he coach everyone else? So far big Dan is our most reliable with clearing headers out of the box.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

That's fair. I am a bit undecided with Ndidi as CB though. I do think as a team we've generally looked more solid with him there this season, but he's obviously given away a few penalties and a bit bombscare there as an individual and I get nervous whenever he tries to tackle in the penalty area.

...just don't play him there then!!!

Rather play Wilf in his strongest position than a U23 in the backline where a senior pro is talking to him throughout the game, than the other way round.

13 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I genuinely haven't got a clue what our best team is or who our best players are anymore. It's all chaos, we score a lot of goals more often than not but we concede a lot equally as often so it's very difficult to be confident what the solution needs to be. Just thankful there's a few players in midfield and attack who are in decent form and hopefully that continues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

When he was in charge of screening the defence by himself he looked incredible. Maddison and Tielemans didn't have to worry about losing possession because Wilf or one of the defenders would snuff out the majority of counter attacks and then we'd be back in the other teams half putting together another move.

We were very much like Man City or Liverpool when they just suffocate you and there's no way out.

This is why the diamond is important. What we did before worked but it did hold JM back because he was asked to play in an 8 role rather than the 10. But with Dewsbury hall we can move back to a solid diamond and bring in Nacho.  This could be our way forward... but its a very hard call because we want to see barnes and lookman 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I still genuinely think we're only a good defensive organiser or two away from being a top 6 side again.

We score more than enough to challenge for the Champions League again but concede more than we even did that season we were cut adrift at the bottom in 2001/02.

Another Robert Huth style signing could get us back on track again I reckon.

We won't be signing anyone. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I still genuinely think we're only a good defensive organiser or two away from being a top 6 side again.

We score more than enough to challenge for the Champions League again but concede more than we even did that season we were cut adrift at the bottom in 2001/02.

Another Robert Huth style signing could get us back on track again I reckon.

Someone like Jonny Evans would be perfect !

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

We won't be signing anyone. 

Agreed. Just think we're not that far off being where we were the past 2 seasons though. The goals certainly haven't dried up.

56 minutes ago, mad biker said:

Someone like Jonny Evans would be perfect !

Well, I would have thought the same but Evans looked pretty lacklustre when he did play and I'd be surprised if he played again this season. He reminds me of Huth and Morgan at the end now where they barely played through injury,

• Like 2