Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

11 hours ago, Babylon said:

We had little other option at the time, hence him going out and getting Tielemans.

Brendan minimized Wilf's weaknesses and maximized his strengths.

Under Puel, we had Iborra and Silva as "other options". Shame neither worked out).

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa yes, isn't that 3 pen's he's given away in the last 2 months?

10 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Pretty impressive considering he's not played for us in a month.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Wasn't there a very close call on one where it would have been 3 penalties given away in 3 games? A total brain fart in the last few mins of a game? Southampton I think?

10 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Yes, Southampton he would’ve given away a pen if there wasn’t an offside prior to his tackle from memory. 

Youri gave away TWO pens in ONE game (vs Man City), should he be drawn and quartered?

Sometimes, one is unsure about the logic at play on FT. Which defender doesn't make mistakes (or concedes pens)

Edited by NaijaFox

9 hours ago, filbertway said:

His positioning and concentration are really abysmal (relative to what a premier league centre back should have of course). Didn't we concede a goal because Wilf jumped under a ball and completely missed it as well? It's the kind of stuff you see in under 8s football haha.

Exactly! Because no other PL CB has ever jumped under a ball and completely missed it?! :blink:

Of course, in the same game (Carabao Cup vs Liverpool), Wilf won the MOST headers of any other player on BOTH teams (see WhoScored stats). Meanwhile, in our last two games, the "positioning and concentration" of our defenders (JJ, in particular) led to late equalizers. Apparently, it's the sort of stuff you also see in England U21 levels. SMH

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

Youri gave away TWO pens in ONE game (vs Man City), should he be drawn and quartered?

Sometimes, one is unsure about the logic at play on FT. Which defender doesn't make mistakes (or concedes pens)

I wasn’t suggesting Wilf should be, if you read back I was just answering Ric’s question lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I genuinely haven't got a clue what our best team is or who our best players are anymore. It's all chaos, we score a lot of goals more often than not but we concede a lot equally as often so it's very difficult to be confident what the solution needs to be. Just thankful there's a few players in midfield and attack who are in decent form and hopefully that continues.

The defence almost picks itself depending on who is available and not on the operating table. The only real decisions are in midfield and upfront and even that is reasonably straightforward unless you are resting players. Or Brendan 😀

• Haha 1

On 26/01/2022 at 18:57, turtmcfly said:

I want this to be true, honestly. I love the Wilfster.

I remember the absolute banger, and the one with his left foot that was a beautifully controlled fade (fortuitously choked down full shot?!) with this left foot.

Other than that I'm struggling, and it's not like he's shy when it comes to having a batter. A poor technique leads to a rarely powerful (usually sliced) shot, and one that's pretty much always not 'not inaccurate'.

That's an equally valid 'take' on Wilf's goals-to-shots ratio. Shoot often enough, and a goal will result. His overall spread pattern might look like a shotgun's at six hundred metres, but, like the Genk goal I mentioned, the one that does fly in will be the one that sticks in the memory.

Yet, I wonder whether any top-flight player has "poor technique" or if it's 'poor potential'.

The difference between a goal and a shot flying into the stands is often down to a few 'square' millimetres on a player's boot - especially with slice/spin.

That's why Tielemans is so impressive (and, more so, de Bruyne). Their mind-muscle coordination is damned nigh perfect - so a shot from them is usually close to their intended mark. Jonjo Shelvey is another such 'marksman' - usually from square on. I tense up when he's got a clear sight of goal from thirty yards out.

I suspect that coaches impose all manner of impositions in training. A player is expected to do a job and not indulge individualistic whimsy - in practice and in a game. I assume that Madders practices free-kicks repeatedly because his score potential is high. I'd guess that Wilf does nothing of the kind. His shots are speculative and, as far as I've seen, often from awkward positions. 

Still, a goal from the 'Wilfster' is a joy - a beautiful thing to behold, but as rare as rocking-horse sh1t.

On 26/01/2022 at 10:56, 5waller5 said:

You lost me at “shooting ability”.

Hitting the ball hard and anywhere is generally not viewed as shooting ability!

He scores goals - not very often, but to deny that he hasn't the ability to score is over simplistic. He's a CDM who probably rarely practices shooting in training and only rarely gets an opportunity in a match. 

13 hours ago, Sampson said:

I still genuinely think we're only a good defensive organiser or two away from being a top 6 side again.

We score more than enough to challenge for the Champions League again but concede more than we even did that season we were cut adrift at the bottom in 2001/02.

Another Robert Huth style signing could get us back on track again I reckon.

Huth was brilliant but ... it's not a Huth style signing we need as we now play a higher line. Him, Morgan and more recently, the hapless Vestergaard just can't do that.

11 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Brendan minimized Wilf's weaknesses and maximized his strengths.

Under Puel, we had Iborra and Silva as "other options". Shame neither worked out).

A player who can't move and isn't a creative midfielder and was injured loads, and a player who shit he's playing for Al Wahda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sampson said:

I still genuinely think we're only a good defensive organiser or two away from being a top 6 side again.

We score more than enough to challenge for the Champions League again but concede more than we even did that season we were cut adrift at the bottom in 2001/02.

Another Robert Huth style signing could get us back on track again I reckon.

Completely agree and with everyone fit and a couple of new faces next season we’ll be back in the top 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

That's an equally valid 'take' on Wilf's goals-to-shots ratio. Shoot often enough, and a goal will result. His overall spread pattern might look like a shotgun's at six hundred metres, but, like the Genk goal I mentioned, the one that does fly in will be the one that sticks in the memory.

Yet, I wonder whether any top-flight player has "poor technique" or if it's 'poor potential'.

The difference between a goal and a shot flying into the stands is often down to a few 'square' millimetres on a player's boot - especially with slice/spin.

That's why Tielemans is so impressive (and, more so, de Bruyne). Their mind-muscle coordination is damned nigh perfect - so a shot from them is usually close to their intended mark. Jonjo Shelvey is another such 'marksman' - usually from square on. I tense up when he's got a clear sight of goal from thirty yards out.

I suspect that coaches impose all manner of impositions in training. A player is expected to do a job and not indulge individualistic whimsy - in practice and in a game. I assume that Madders practices free-kicks repeatedly because his score potential is high. I'd guess that Wilf does nothing of the kind. His shots are speculative and, as far as I've seen, often from awkward positions. 

Still, a goal from the 'Wilfster' is a joy - a beautiful thing to behold, but as rare as rocking-horse sh1t.

....interesting take on the ability to hit the target and his chances to improve his goal percentage!!!

As you would have noticed he does try a speculative effort in games, when the correct thing to do would be to recycle the ball. There is a lack of discipline right there, as his decision hurts the team right at that moment. 

The technique of shooting, more so than ever requires " backlift" of various degrees. The more power you attempt to use, the likelihood you are not going to able to control what you need to do to execute. 

Wilf needs to recycle the ball and take the long range shooting out of his game. You need to have a technique or it is something that you have grown up doing and comes naturally, there are other facets of the game he could be working on, long range shooting is not one of them.

4 hours ago, gerblod said:

He scores goals - not very often, but to deny that he hasn't the ability to score is over simplistic. He's a CDM who probably rarely practices shooting in training and only rarely gets an opportunity in a match. 

Wilf is great, I’m really happy he’s a Fox, and think he’s a great player.

His shooting ability is poor though. To suggest otherwise just implies you’ve not seen him play.

His tackling, interceptions, reading of the game, athleticism etc etc all make up for his weakness in other areas. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gerblod said:

(Sort of strange) you should mention Youri's shooting

One of the exciting things about Youri's YouTube highlight reel before he came he was some cracking shots (with both feet). So in that sense, added to his shooting in 2021, I completely get your point and it's not strange at all you should mention him.

My very strong recollection up until the FA Cup final was that, whether he was in one of his extended patches of excellence or not in general terms, his shooting had been pretty poor for us, especially given the above YT comment. Quite a few attempts, with plenty dragged/mishit. I remember making a comment in 2020 about that being the one issue with his time with us up to that point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gerblod said:

He never passes up the rare opportunity though, whatever the difficulty. I wouldn't be surprised if he practised shooting quite a bit, maybe with a level of success not evident on matchday, given how often he's prepared to do it (often with semi-comical results) in front of 30,000+ people. 

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Babylon said:

A player who can't move and isn't a creative midfielder and was injured loads, and a player who shit he's playing for Al Wahda. 

Doubt that's what their scouting reports read...lol

We could barely bear the wait to see Silva finally play for us, while Iborra played in both deep and advanced midfield roles for Sevilla (and subsequently for Villareal). Didn't work for either with us, but they were envisioned as the "other options".

Edited by NaijaFox

13 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....interesting take on the ability to hit the target and his chances to improve his goal percentage!!!

As you would have noticed he does try a speculative effort in games, when the correct thing to do would be to recycle the ball. There is a lack of discipline right there, as his decision hurts the team right at that moment. 

The technique of shooting, more so than ever requires " backlift" of various degrees. The more power you attempt to use, the likelihood you are not going to able to control what you need to do to execute. 

Wilf needs to recycle the ball and take the long range shooting out of his game. You need to have a technique or it is something that you have grown up doing and comes naturally, there are other facets of the game he could be working on, long range shooting is not one of them.

8 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

He never passes up the rare opportunity though, whatever the difficulty. I wouldn't be surprised if he practised shooting quite a bit, maybe with a level of success not evident on matchday, given how often he's prepared to do it (often with semi-comical results) in front of 30,000+ people. 

Wilf attempts LESS THAN ONE shot per game (0.8 this season, and 0.6 last season).

Any issues (perceived or real) with his game has nothing to do with his attempting myriad shots. 

14 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Wilf attempts LESS THAN ONE shot per game (0.8 this season, and 0.6 last season).

Any issues (perceived or real) with his game has nothing to do with his attempting myriad shots. 

It's almost like I didn't write 'rare opportunity'

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

It's almost like I didn't write 'rare opportunity'

Resisting (and probably failing) the urge for pedantry...

But less than one shot attempt a game does not necessarily equate to less than one opportunity to shoot per game.

On 29/01/2022 at 10:11, NaijaFox said:

Doubt that's what their scouting reports read...lol

We could barely bear the wait to see Silva finally play for us, while Iborra played in both deep and advanced midfield roles for Sevilla (and subsequently for Villareal). Didn't work for either with us, but they were envisioned as the "other options".

Iborra was a class act , he had more time on the football than must players we have had . Just seems that managers that we have had just don’t seem to know how to player foreigners, or how to get the best out of them . 
poor Silva I think just gave up after that 14 second stuff up , what a f****** stupid rule 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Resisting (and probably failing) the urge for pedantry...

But less than one shot attempt a game does not necessarily equate to less than one opportunity to shoot per game.

Of course not.

And it's not pedantry to point it out, in the same way (only more so) it's not pedantry to point out that it doesn't necessarily counter my claim either. It's not clear why you tried to counter it either, given we reached the same conclusion! I don't think Wilf's shooting is a problem, cos he hardly ever does it.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 10:54, 5waller5 said:

Wilf is great, I’m really happy he’s a Fox, and think he’s a great player.

His shooting ability is poor though. To suggest otherwise just implies you’ve not seen him play.

His tackling, interceptions, reading of the game, athleticism etc etc all make up for his weakness in other areas. 

C'mon! Not seen him play! That's one huge and mistaken assumption you've made.

One assumption you can make is that, if I post on here, I do so with seriousness and a measure of knowledge and accrued (over fifty years) familiarity with football. I sometimes am controversial, yet there's ever a soupçon of sense in what I write.

On 28/01/2022 at 09:37, sacreblueits442 said:

I appreciate what you've stated, but I'm not convinced that one speculative shot from Wilf (or any other defensive player) is a waste - there are plenty of those from players whose job it is to shoot.

Even if it only serves to keep the opposition on their toes it's 'allowable'. After all, it's the unexpected which often provides us with the most entertainment. ;) 

9 minutes ago, gerblod said:

I appreciate what you've stated, but I'm not convinced that one speculative shot from Wilf (or any other defensive player) is a waste - there are plenty of those from players whose job it is to shoot.

Even if it only serves to keep the opposition on their toes it's 'allowable'. After all, it's the unexpected which often provides us with the most entertainment. ;) 

I think this probably covers both examples :D

Forever brilliant.

• Haha 1

On 26/01/2022 at 10:51, gerblod said:

I'm surprised you're surprised. For a player who gets little opportunity to let fly, he has a powerful and not inaccurate shot. 

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

C'mon! Not seen him play! That's one huge and mistaken assumption you've made.

One assumption you can make is that, if I post on here, I do so with seriousness and a measure of knowledge and accrued (over fifty years) familiarity with football. I sometimes am controversial, yet there's ever a soupçon of sense in what I write.

Last season...

image.png.4562dfead7599ea2ba362f2b9f9a0009.png

This season

image.png.b2c4d379a8868d0e3da1ece10953a557.png

• Haha 2