Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

5 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Asking too much of him, he should win the ball and play a simple pass.

In our current situation I’d play Mendy and Ndidi if front of the back four.

Mendy is so much better.

Can someone do some stats to see how much we play better last season when Ndidi was out injured and Mendy had to step in to rescue us?

4 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

We should be playing Soumaré over him. He’s been poor for a year or so. 

You are right but it has been for more than a year now.  But many fans didn’t see what you saw and were insisting that he is world class and dismissed the likes of Mendy when he did so well when he came in last year. With Ndidi, we always looked vulnerable - exactly the opposite of what Rodgers and many fans had in terms of his impact of being a “destroyer” to stablise our defence. How many goals has his mistake led to a goal this season alone??? 

But yes, in light of our shortness in height I would also give Soumare a go.

Edited by Tom12345

Ndidi’s game has declined dramatically over the last couple of seasons.  His distribution which was major weakness when he signed him but he managed to improve dramatically is back to the shocking levels if not worse.  His ball recovery remains a strength.  But his decision making on the ball is very poor and the mistakes have become more and more indicative of the player he has sadly become over this period.  Another major decline of a key player.

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

When he was allowed to sit and do nothing but break up play, he was statistically the best of any CDM in europes top leagues (in terms of tackles, interceptions, blocks etc), but that was years ago. Rodgers has tried to get him stepping forward, receiving the ball, progressing it… he can’t do it, and it has destroyed him and his confidence. 

Absolutely spot on. 

It's like putting a family lawyer in charge of a murder case then wondering why the case was lost. 

Play to your players strengths don't flog a dead horse and try to make them into something they will never be ffs

15 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

When he was allowed to sit and do nothing but break up play, he was statistically the best of any CDM in europes top leagues (in terms of tackles, interceptions, blocks etc. even ahead of the likes of Kante), but that was years ago. Rodgers has tried to get him stepping forward, receiving the ball, progressing it… he can’t do it, and it has destroyed him and his confidence. 

I have some reservation that he is as good as claimed but you are right that simply does not suit the play out from the back possession football Rodgers wants (or any PL team these days). Just can’t. We can’t play out from the back when our CBs cannot pass to him - it makes it so much harder to play it out when pressed. If we still hold on to our long ball game with Albrighton and Tielemans dropping back and making those long diagonal balls, then maybe, but we do nothing of that sort anymore. We instead force our CBs to do those long ball sometimes (often Evans) and quickly lose possession - you don’t have to spend too much time wondering why we don’t create chances from those long balls because the passer is Evans and not more skillful players like Albrighton or Tielemans. 

Edited by Tom12345

Partly I think we might have taken him for granted a bit that he could maintain the level of performance we saw so consistently because at times he was just unplayable to the point where he can only drop off from there. But I think we have to consider he has had injuries, been played out of position and had Rodger's trying to change his style in his best position.

I just hope he's one of many players who's form instantly picks up when Rodger's finally gets sacked because at this rate I'm seriously concerned by the damage being caused long term to players capabilities.

13 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I have some reservation that he is as good as claimed but you are right that simply that does not suit the play out from the back possession football Rodgers want (or any PL team these days). Just can’t. We can’t play out from the back when our CBs cannot pass to him - it makes it so much harder to play it out when pressed. If we still hold on to our long ball game with Albrighton and Tielemans dropping back and making those long diagonal balls, then maybe, but we do nothing of that sort anymore. We instead force our CBs to do those long ball sometimes (often Evans) and quickly lose possession - you have to wonder why we don’t create chances from those long balls because the passer is Evans and not more skillful players like Albrighton or Tielemans. 

I don’t have the stats anymore, but if you spend ages scrolling back through his early threads you’ll find them. He was top of key defensive metrics for all midfielders in Europe’s top 5 leagues for about 2 seasons. 

edit: some examples here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.co.uk/football/leicester-city/story/4029200/why-leicesters-wilfred-ndidinot-chelseas-ngolo-kanteis-the-best-ball-winner-around%3fplatform=amp?espv=1

if you go looking for his tackling stats you will find examples of him outperforming everyone in his first two seasons with us. After lockdown it has been a different story. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

He was brilliant for us up until lockdown whatever anyone says. He was arguably our most important player. But since then he has looked way off those levels. It's very sad to see. Whether it's the impact of the increasing number of injuries that he's had, a lack of confidence, being asked to perform a role that doesn't suit him or other teams finding ways to combat him, I'm not sure. But he is looking very poor. I'm really not sure Mendy is the answer, though. He'd be yet another small player in the team, leaving us even more vulnerable defending set pieces and, whilst he's solid on the ball, he struggles with the pace and physicality of the PL in my view. The same goes for Soumaré too, which is probably why Rodgers has persisted with Wilf in the vain hope that his form will improve. 

• Like 1

I really do disagree with those calling for Ndidi's head. It is quite clear that Ndidi, while having a limited style, is the best at what he does - winning back the ball covering the back 4 and recycling it. Over the last two years he has been pushed and pulled out of position. From playing as a box to box midfielder being told to press and fly forward where he easily gets passed around and lost in the game to playing as a CB where, although he played in the position as a young man, is incredibly tough at premier league standard. This continual abuse of Ndidi and his skills by the management has clearly left his confidence shot and a shell of a player. After brighton's game and the errors he made there playing in the wrong position, do you really think it is as easy as putting him back in position and say 'there ya go lad, play your game'.

He needs nurturing and rebuilding from the absolute crimes committed against him to bring him back to his best and this is just another example of the complete mismanagement of our talent going on right now!

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It annoys me he's been told to push forward on or off the ball, but all it takes is a couple of passes to get past him and he and the team are left dramatically exposed. 

When you have full backs pushing up and we lose possession, coupled with Ndidi being out of position, it'll always spell disaster. 

Our whole game just needs to go back to basics, including Ndidi's individually. Sit in front of the defence, protect them, shield them, support them. Don't advance beyond KDH/Youri/Maddison. Break up attacks, disrupt the opposition - play to his strengths!

It’s so bloody simple and everyone can see it. Means it won’t happen though. 

Hid head and legs have gone. He is a shadow of the player he was but I guess we can say that with a few of them.  Mendy should get a go but he won't while Brendan is here.  Praet, Mendy, Perez and Kel are left on that bench game after game.  The morale and mentality has gone from the team. He has lost the players and many are devoid of confidence.  Get a new manager in to help these players before it becomes irreparable.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

A shadow of the player he was, I’m not sure what’s happened to him, I’d give Mendy a go now.

The list of players whos form has markedly deteriorated over the past couple of years keeps getting longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

When he was allowed to sit and do nothing but break up play, he was statistically the best of any CDM in europes top leagues (in terms of tackles, interceptions, blocks etc. even ahead of the likes of Kante), but that was years ago. Rodgers has tried to get him stepping forward, receiving the ball, progressing it… he can’t do it, and it has destroyed him and his confidence. 

Yeah he's not been the same player since he started playing in a double pivot. He can't do it. It's not his fault, but comparing Ndidi of late 2019 to this version is sad.

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

You are right but it has been for more than a year now.  But many fans didn’t see what you saw and were insisting that he is world class and dismissed the likes of Mendy when he did so well when he came in last year. With Ndidi, we always looked vulnerable - exactly the opposite of what Rodgers and many fans had in terms of his impact of being a “destroyer” to stablise our defence. How many goals has his mistake led to a goal this season alone??? 

But yes, in light of our shortness in height I would also give Soumare a go.

Although if you watch Tottenhams sixth goal, the guy runs the length of the pitch having breezed past Soumare like he isn't there, and then Soumare ambles back after him before giving up the chase. Something he was doing regularly last season too. Ndidi has been really poor for some time now, but I'm not sure Soumare is the answer.  I'd rather have Mendy in there at the moment personally.

Edited by smudger63

1 hour ago, Walshie is God said:

Absolutely spot on. 

It's like putting a family lawyer in charge of a murder case then wondering why the case was lost. 

Play to your players strengths don't flog a dead horse and try to make them into something they will never be ffs

Exactly, I’d go further. Its like putting the best family lawyer in the world in charge of said murder… 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I'm convinced that as soon as Rodgers goes and a manager comes in and simplifies our game and tries to restore some confidence and calm and Ndidi, Justin and Vardy improve dramatically. 

Yep. We need a new manager to walk onto the training pitch on his first day and say, “You’re all very good footballers - you’ve just forgotten how to do the basics. We’re going to relearn those starting from today.”

If this happens, I’m sure we’ll see a rapid and significant improvement. 

• Like 2