Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PaulW

Brendan

Using Celtic as an example that ‘it could happen here!’ is a bit of a non-starter to be honest:

1) Rodgers’ jump to us was an opportunity for return to the Premier League. A jump from the SPFL (sorry Henrik, no offence meant) was an inevitability, he had to prove himself back in the top league again at some point. The jump from Leicester to any big club, which other than Man City or Liverpool could end up being a backwards step this year. 

2) He’s in the optimum position right here. Any other job is a reconstruction over a couple of seasons, over which time he’s got a top tier squad here. He’ll give two seasons at least if we were to get Europe, especially CL, because he has something to prove and that will boost his stock ten times over.

And if we keep it up at that point, why would he want to move on? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hack said:

They are a big club in the eyes of the papers due to being in an affluent part of London and a big supporter base, not based on achieving anything.

Tottenham are not in an affluent part of London mate 

they do have many fans who are (similar to arsenal and West Ham)

and because of their success in the sixties, they still have a large non n London sourced fan base ..... this should continue to ebb away over time as unconnected ( by location) kids refuse to take on the fathers club as is usually the case.  Juxtapose this with liverpool who do win stuff and their non scouse fanbase remains absolutely enormous 

Apologies if this was already posted I couldn't find it on here.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/19/brendan-rodgers-responds-manchester-united-interest-james-maddison-10769664/

I’ve been fortunate that I’ve been at Liverpool where I understand the draw of that type of club,’ Rodgers said. ‘Liverpool and Manchester United are two of the biggest clubs by far. ‘There’s other great clubs, there’s big clubs, but those two, in terms of worldwide status, are above the other clubs. ‘There are other great clubs that are trying to catch them up but those two, in my experience, are a level above. ‘So whenever a player gets an opportunity to go to a club like that, to experience that type of pressure, that expectation – and of course there’ll be a financial side to it as well, let’s be real – that as a package in a short career is maybe something that is too hard to turn down. ‘I understand it, I get it.’

I don't like what BR said there at all, but on a second thought I can't say I'm really surprised. Substitute 'a player' in the highlited sentence for 'a manager' and the cheating bird analogy posted above seems to be spot on. After he jumped Celtic for us I think we shouldn't expect Brodge to be the faithful wife and if the opportunity presents itself he'll probably have no second thoughts about swapping us for Yanited, Liverpool or even Spuds (that would be rather painful, I agree!). I think we're just a stepping stone for the guy and should enjoy the ride for the time being. I trust Top keeps his hands on the pulse and will find a suitable successor when Rodgers jumps the ship again.

I also think he should be prohibited from talking about the key Leicester players like that, like they already have his blessing to go and are ready to pack/sell to big clubs whenever they come knocking. I'd like Top to have a word with him about that. He thinks we are just like Southampton, a big club feeder. I think we aim to be more than that and Mahrez sale already proved we don't have to sell whenever any of the big boys show interest in our player.

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Why though? Not trying to sound like a tosser, but is that just a vibe you've got? If it is fair enough, after all, I'm judging this situation on a bit of a vibe too, but also he's come really far and when he isn't baleful in his interviews, he's happy - it's just not picked up as much by the media as there's no story in "Manager is satisfied with job", but from what I've seen he's always been a hot and cold guy.

Is that true? They've been cheapskating and scrounging and that meant their squad has grown stale and their 15/16 16/17 heights haven't been achieved again. But that was largely in order to get to the point where they have a new stadium. Now they're there, their cashflow and overall revenue is much boosted and since they've hooked up to one of those ridiculous multi-decade £20 million p/y repayment schemes, they don't really have a dent in their profits from the stadium. That was shown in their fairly sizeable investment this summer, plus their willingness to buy Dybala as well which would have greatly increased expenditure from what it already is.

My personal opinion is just like the media twists the public's view of us in unsavoury ways ("we're ungrateful and hold our players back from greatness"), the same is true of Spurs ("everything collapsing around their ears"). I reckon half a year from now they're in full form again and all this unease is forgotten by the media.

I'm thinking it would be quite natural for him to be a bit fed up of it because their squad has grown a bit style, he's got an issue (which he's stoking somewhat) with his most creative player and is likely now to probably lose him for nothing on the back of this. Was their investment this summer really that sizeable? It wasn't bad but it was nothing too special.

I also feel like their chances to win trophies have passed them by. They've had numerous instances where they ought to have won something and failed to do so. Their ultimate golden chance arrived in May and they barely showed up in the final.

I just think they're still nowhere near actually winning anything. They won't get near to winning the Premier League. They won't get near to winning the Champions League (seriously, how in god's name did they make the final last year?). When there are genuine Real Madrid links, it's hard to ignore them.

I feel like Tottenham have over-achieved a bit for a while under him but never really made it count and actually won anything in that time period and they're no nearer than they were a few years ago. Is Ndombele and Lo Celso while Eriksen's effectively frozen out really going to have anyone like Man City or Liverpool that worried?

I think this applies to some of their players as well. It's just never quite happened for them and I wonder if they're close to the point of thinking it probably isn't going to.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm thinking it would be quite natural for him to be a bit fed up of it because their squad has grown a bit style, he's got an issue (which he's stoking somewhat) with his most creative player and is likely now to probably lose him for nothing on the back of this. Was their investment this summer really that sizeable? It wasn't bad but it was nothing too special.

I also feel like their chances to win trophies have passed them by. They've had numerous instances where they ought to have won something and failed to do so. Their ultimate golden chance arrived in May and they barely showed up in the final.

I just think they're still nowhere near actually winning anything. They won't get near to winning the Premier League. They won't get near to winning the Champions League (seriously, how in god's name did they make the final last year?). When there are genuine Real Madrid links, it's hard to ignore them.

I feel like Tottenham have over-achieved a bit for a while under him but never really made it count and actually won anything in that time period and they're no nearer than they were a few years ago. Is Ndombele and Lo Celso while Eriksen's effectively frozen out really going to have anyone like Man City or Liverpool that worried?

I think this applies to some of their players as well. It's just never quite happened for them and I wonder if they're close to the point of thinking it probably isn't going to.

Yeah, that's true. Not sure if I agree with the rest, but that's fine. 

I know a lot of people dislike Tottenham, so this opinion might not be popular, but I get the feeling that Tottenham is the blueprint for what Brendan Rodgers hopes to build. Not long ago, Tottenham wouldn't have been viewed in the same light as Manchester United, Arsenal, etc. Over time, they brought together a squad of talented, young players that grew together, broke into the top four of the league table, and progressed in the Champions League.

The reason they are mocked, and rightly so, is because they should have more trophies to show for it. 

Brendan Rodgers has expressed his admiration of Pochettino's success at Tottenham, and he has witnessed the negative aspects of managing a "big club" in his time at Liverpool. He left Celtic midseason because he saw what was possible at Leicester. We already have a squad of some of the most talented young players in the premier league, but we lacked a top class manager that could harness their potential. 

He could in theory, trade short term success at Leicester for a small step up to Tottenham (or a similar club), should a vacancy open. However, you'd have to ask why would he take over a club on the down swing (Tottenham, Manchester United, Arsenal, etc.) when he is on a team on the rise? If you take a job of a team on the downswing, it takes a lot for a manager to not get dragged down with it. The longer Brendan Rodgers stays at Leicester, the higher his stock will be.  If he can build Leicester into a top 4/6 club in the premier league, he will start getting offers from the top clubs in Europe.

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

I know a lot of people dislike Tottenham, so this opinion might not be popular, but I get the feeling that Tottenham is the blueprint for what Brendan Rodgers hopes to build. Not long ago, Tottenham wouldn't have been viewed in the same light as Manchester United, Arsenal, etc. Over time, they brought together a squad of talented, young players that grew together, broke into the top four of the league table, and progressed in the Champions League.

The reason they are mocked, and rightly so, is because they should have more trophies to show for it. 

Brendan Rodgers has expressed his admiration of Pochettino's success at Tottenham, and he has witnessed the negative aspects of managing a "big club" in his time at Liverpool. He left Celtic midseason because he saw what was possible at Leicester. We already have a squad of some of the most talented young players in the premier league, but we lacked a top class manager that could harness their potential. 

He could in theory, trade short term success at Leicester for a small step up to Tottenham (or a similar club), should a vacancy open. However, you'd have to ask why would he take over a club on the down swing (Tottenham, Manchester United, Arsenal, etc.) when he is on a team on the rise? If you take a job of a team on the downswing, it takes a lot for a manager to not get dragged down with it. The longer Brendan Rodgers stays at Leicester, the higher his stock will be.  If he can build Leicester into a top 4/6 club in the premier league, he will start getting offers from the top clubs in Europe.

Honestly, this is what I feel will happen. He is a similar coach to Poch in the sense that they are both good at having their players reach their potential, and I think when he saw Leicester, he saw a chance to do what Spurs did by breaking the established top 4, and I think he believes that he has the ability and the team to do the same too. I also believe that once top 4/6 is achieved with you guys, he might look to move abroad to gain some more experience so that by the time he does come back for a top job here, he will have a bulletproof CV that the english media wont be able to attack. The reason that British managers at big english clubs are attacked again and again is because there is a widespread notion that they are inferior to european managers. This might be true, but I feel like Rodgers is an exception, and he can break the wheel in a way, but he needs to make a gradual progression towards it and not jump around at every opportunity. At Liverpool he was always compared to European managers and shown in a negative light. If he takes a big job now then he would get the same taunts from the media, but if he were to goto say Leipzig and win the Bundesliga or something and then come back to take over a big team here and should things not work out, the media will shift the narrative and will be more like "you have such a great manager, the problem is the club not him". After his Liverpool experience he knows how important it is to walk into the right project. Leicester for the time being are the right project from him. 

Its funny west hame, everton, wolves other teams, with same potential and ambitions never get picked apart by the biggest clubs, yet we keep been targeted.

Would rodgers stay?  Dont know, as losing maguire probably annoyed him.  But he hasnt even been here a season yet so I would like to think he says no.

On 24/09/2019 at 07:01, st albans fox said:

This 

the idea that rodgers  walks walks out of a job like ours after less than a season is nuts. Every decent man has a reputation to protect. how could he look any player in the face and ask for loyalty if he did something like that?

With the new training ground upcoming, he will find it hard to leave next summer in any case. I think the only job he could justify leaving here for within two years would be the Chelsea job because of his history. and that would be tough to do and hold his head up. 

if the club agree to sell their best young assets against his wishes then things may change .......... after all, he hasn’t really spent anything yet ......

They already sold maguire against his wishes.  Thats my worry with this.

I hate Sky with a passion and BT Sports with slightly less passion. The pundits, all big club players are so blinkered its painful viewing. It probably appeals to the glory hunters that advertisers thrive for as they are gullible types, easily swayed and in need of ego boosts that associating with winning sides can bring to those facing a security deficit.

I'd recommend any Sky subscriber reconsiders the joy of losing Sky. All the money saved could buy a good holiday, a decent car or super fast broadband to stream live any football game you wish to see. I gave up on Sky subscription many years ago when Leicester were on the early match day schedule playing, of course, Manchester United. Excited because it wasn't every week you got to see your team live I tuned in early to catch all the early preamble. First up was half an hour on Manchester United. Player profiles and interviews. Lots of goal clips, many of goals scored against Leicester City. Not downbeat at all, now onto Leicester City preamble, back to the pundits. Here we go, but no. One said did you know Kasper Schmeichel dad used to play for Manchester United. Pretty decent he was to. So lets see lots of saves from Peter Schmeichel. Now onto the game. I decided at that moment, no more Sky Sports for me and the Sky box got binned for Freesat and a Kodi box. A fantastic day.

So now when I read Sky pundits say this or BT Sports say that I just think about blinkers and give it all the kudos it deserves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Apologies if this was already posted I couldn't find it on here.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/19/brendan-rodgers-responds-manchester-united-interest-james-maddison-10769664/

I’ve been fortunate that I’ve been at Liverpool where I understand the draw of that type of club,’ Rodgers said. ‘Liverpool and Manchester United are two of the biggest clubs by far. ‘There’s other great clubs, there’s big clubs, but those two, in terms of worldwide status, are above the other clubs. ‘There are other great clubs that are trying to catch them up but those two, in my experience, are a level above. ‘So whenever a player gets an opportunity to go to a club like that, to experience that type of pressure, that expectation – and of course there’ll be a financial side to it as well, let’s be real – that as a package in a short career is maybe something that is too hard to turn down. ‘I understand it, I get it.’

I don't like what BR said there at all, but on a second thought I can't say I'm really surprised. Substitute 'a player' in the highlited sentence for 'a manager' and the cheating bird analogy posted above seems to be spot on. After he jumped Celtic for us I think we shouldn't expect Brodge to be the faithful wife and if the opportunity presents itself he'll probably have no second thoughts about swapping us for Yanited, Liverpool or even Spuds (that would be rather painful, I agree!). I think we're just a stepping stone for the guy and should enjoy the ride for the time being. I trust Top keeps his hands on the pulse and will find a suitable successor when Rodgers jumps the ship again.

I also think he should be prohibited from talking about the key Leicester players like that, like they already have his blessing to go and are ready to pack/sell to big clubs whenever they come knocking. I'd like Top to have a word with him about that. He thinks we are just like Southampton, a big club feeder. I think we aim to be more than that and Mahrez sale already proved we don't have to sell whenever any of the big boys show interest in our player.

He said it how it is sadly.

Also you think we different to southampton?

Since title win

Kante to chelsea

Drinkwater to chelsea

Mahrez to man city (somehow you think the fact we sold him meant we didnt roll over)

Maguire to man utd

I think we would have lost vardy if he decided to go arsenal.  As its clear we let him talk to arsenal.

The difference between us and saints is not our selling policy but our buying policy, we simply brought better.

Its as if every footballer's ambition is to play for one of those clubs, and everything is a stepping stone on the way (unless a club forces the issue and blocks it).  I remember a conversation I had with saints fans, which we both agreed on.  Our title win was a result of all the dominoes lining up perfectly.  We basically managed to assemble a team under the radar, and by the time the players got noticed we were well on the way to the title win, you basically have to get success very quickly after building a good team else it be ripped apart by the big boys.  Sustained success will be almost impossible for this reason.

To give smaller clubs a chance I would like a rule where players and managers cant move to other clubs in the same division within 2 years of leaving their club.

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I’m pretty sure that Rodgers accepted events before he arrived are out of his control ........ surely it was up to him to try and convince maguire to stay ?   This applies to the next windows too. - the manager has to build a team spirit that makes it an environment for those players who will be the subject of approaches to want to stick around 

of course that applies to the manager too

sadly, though many would want the manager to make a public statement about his future, he isn’t going to do that whilst there is a chance he can get an improved contract ...... such is the way nowadays (with players too) 

15 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Since title win

Kante to chelsea

Drinkwater to chelsea

Mahrez to man city (somehow you think the fact we sold him meant we didnt roll over)

Maguire to man utd

I think we would have lost vardy if he decided to go arsenal.  As its clear we let him talk to arsenal.

The difference between us and saints is not our selling policy but our buying policy, we simply brought better.

Its as if every footballer's ambition is to play for one of those clubs, and everything is a stepping stone on the way (unless a club forces the issue and blocks it).  I remember a conversation I had with saints fans, which we both agreed on.  Our title win was a result of all the dominoes lining up perfectly.  We basically managed to assemble a team under the radar, and by the time the players got noticed we were well on the way to the title win, you basically have to get success very quickly after building a good team else it be ripped apart by the big boys.  Sustained success will be almost impossible for this reason.

To give smaller clubs a chance I would like a rule where players and managers cant move to other clubs in the same division within 2 years of leaving their club.

The difference between us and Saints is the sheer quantity of players they sold. We hold onto our players longer and hold out for more. 

15 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Since title win

Kante to chelsea

Drinkwater to chelsea

Maguire to man utd

Yes I think we are very different from Southampton since the title win. We aspire for top 8 or even top 6 finish while Southampton are just happy to avoid relegation. Vichais and Top's ambitions were higher than just staying up in the Prem when they joined and they've stated that.

You say sustained success will be almost impossible, I say your glass is almost half empty. I believe it is very much possible with Top at the helm. By the success I mean staying in top 8 for the next few seasons at least, as opposed to battling relegation like Southampton.

Of all the transfers you've mentioned only selling Kante had significant consquences and brought in too little money. Mahrez wanted to leave for two seasons already and when played was blowing hot and cold, sulking through every second game, good riddance I say. Drinkwater to Chelsea. Anybody on here miss him? Offloading some dead wood for that kind of money can only be commendable. As for Maguire... for that crazy money, we had their pants down, and as much as I was a fan of Harry, I'm happy we have Evans and Soyuncu. You would be lucky to find a Leicester supporter who misses Maguire. So of all the transfers to big clubs you've mentioned only Kante was a considerable blow, and, unlike Southampton, we managed to keep our most essential players like Vardy and Ndidi and have very decent replacements for those who left. In comparison Southampton are almost bare bones now, all the flesh they had was torn either by Liverpool or by some other clubs and they are left with a less than mediocre team of players with maybe two of them half decent ones (Romeu and Bednarek) and are very, very lucky to have a decent manager in Hassenhutl.  We are in a so much better situation than them, because our owner and the board doesn't think like Southampton's do, and actually can plan forward.  

Edited by Chester Dontlie

19 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

For me, one big difference between us is the way we are run.

Levy is made out to be this 'shrewd businessman'. But as every season goes by he's looking more and more like a novice businessman. Probably losing Eriksen for nothing by demanding a crazy 100M for him with under a year left on his contract, not supporting Ponch in the transfer market when they really had the chance to challenge, racking up huge debt on a new stadium, offering silly money or deals for potential signings, and overpricing want away players which has lead to squad disharmony. All decisions which could hinder Spuds for a very long time.

Meanwhile, I think our club is in much better hands. We are building slowly and strongly and our business model looks on a much sounder financial basis that the one Levy is doing at Spuds.

Spuds are lucky they are based in a very high population area and are in London where they have become media darlings. Winning one trophy this decade doesn't, in my view, even put them in the same league as the other five teams they are compared with. Out here I rarely see anyone wearing their shirt, in fact I see more people in Leicester shirts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The difference between us and Saints is the sheer quantity of players they sold. We hold onto our players longer and hold out for more. 

The market has changed a bit since Liverpool went on their pillage and plunder runs. Van Dijk for 75 mil aint exactly peanuts :)

17 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Maguires exit was essentially confirmed in summer 2018.

Why do you think we have bought James and overloaded ourselves with midfielders this summer