Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Rugby League

On 26/02/2024 at 09:27, worth_the_wait said:

Tasty looking tie in the Challenge Cup 5th round (last one before the 12 SL clubs come in):

Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity

Was like going back in time 30 years.   Hissing it down with rain, atrocious mud bath of a pitch.

Really good cup tie, mind. (apart from the result!)     10-0 at HT   10-10 at FT.   Featherstone won it with a try in "Golden Point" (extra) time.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 21/11/2023 at 10:18, CosbehFox said:

Magic weekend switched to Leeds from Newcastle. 

I get it because of schedule etc but pretty meh when considering location. Cardiff, Newcastle and Edinburgh are the only cities where it works really 

Really late to the party on this one, but I’m not sure how the cities you mentioned suit a Magic Weekend over Leeds (or Manchester if it was there).

90% of fans can get to Leeds in under an hour, Catalans and Broncos aside, Leeds is still closer with LBA and Manchester Airport, again under an hour away.

Newcastle for the atmosphere around the city, I’d agree. Location. Newcastle, Cardiff and Edinburgh aren’t the better ones for the fans.

Size wise, Leeds is over double the size of Cardiff and Newcastle… and still a fair size bigger than Edinburgh. It’s seen as a northern shit hole that doesn’t have the charm of Edinburgh or Newcastle, but it’s ideal for Magic Weekend. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

32 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Really late to the party on this one, but I’m not sure how the cities you mentioned suit a Magic Weekend over Leeds (or Manchester if it was there).

90% of fans can get to Leeds in under an hour, Catalans and Broncos aside, Leeds is still closer with LBA and Manchester Airport, again under an hour away.

Newcastle for the atmosphere around the city, I’d agree. Location. Newcastle, Cardiff and Edinburgh aren’t the better ones for the fans.

Size wise, Leeds is over double the size of Cardiff and Newcastle… and still a fair size bigger than Edinburgh. It’s seen as a northern shit hole that doesn’t have the charm of Edinburgh or Newcastle, but it’s ideal for Magic Weekend. 

Simply location of where the stadiums are rather than geographical location. 

Cardiff is bang in the middle of the city centre. Edinburgh not too far either - very easy tram ride of 10 minutes. That allows fans to go in and out of the stadium - jump in somewhere for a proper meal, back and forth to a hotel, proper pubs. Very easily. 

Leeds Elland Road is a good walk and decent journey. If the stadium was central, it would be the literal perfect host. 

Magic weekend works best when fans can move around freely really in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Simply location of where the stadiums are rather than geographical location. 

Cardiff is bang in the middle of the city centre. Edinburgh not too far either - very easy tram ride of 10 minutes. That allows fans to go in and out of the stadium - jump in somewhere for a proper meal, back and forth to a hotel, proper pubs. Very easily. 

Leeds Elland Road is a good walk and decent journey. If the stadium was central, it would be the literal perfect host. 

Magic weekend works best when fans can move around freely really in my opinion. 

In that case, spot on!

Elland Road is a logistical nightmare for an event like MW and Headingley is nowhere near big enough.

Newcastle is ideal. St James is miles better than Elland Road too. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

8 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

In that case, spot on!

Elland Road is a logistical nightmare for an event like MW and Headingley is nowhere near big enough.

Newcastle is ideal. St James is miles better than Elland Road too. 

Newcastle is so much better for the Magic Weekend for the ground location etc. 

Its bang in the city and you can leave/enter the stadium as you like. There isn't all that much about close to Elland Road, plus its nice to get out and feel like its a proper event away from the heartlands if that makes sense. Similar to the challenge cup final in London.

Even when they played Leeds Rhinos matches at Elland Road it just wasn't that great, apart from the bigger stadium.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Newcastle is so much better for the Magic Weekend for the ground location etc. 

Its bang in the city and you can leave/enter the stadium as you like. There isn't all that much about close to Elland Road, plus its nice to get out and feel like its a proper event away from the heartlands if that makes sense. Similar to the challenge cup final in London.

Even when they played Leeds Rhinos matches at Elland Road it just wasn't that great, apart from the bigger stadium.

Agreed! St James has probably the best (or at least one of) locations for a stadium. 

• 3 months later...

Poor old Whitehaven are in a right financial mess at the moment.

Wakefield Trinity are selling £10 match tickets for this Sunday's game v Whitehaven, and giving the money to their visitors.     A nice gesture.

Alternatively, if you fancy slinging them a few spare £'s, there's a Go Fund Me page listed on  https://whitehavenrl.co.uk/  

https://gofund.me/03c07c8d