Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Is replacing Vardy a process? *

Many (myself certainly included) people are likely hugely concerned that when Vardy jacks it in here, and rides off into the Sheffield sunset, we lose our talisman, our identity in part, we lose the Leicester City we actually recognise from recent times. :frantics:

Or is it the case that we should actually be less worried? More sanguine? Is it the case that the plan to cope without Vardy is already well underway??

The style transition, the personnel, the whole gammut of changes within the club, are all a holistic way of replacing Vardy?

*Posted as I am at work doing somethingh sh*te, so wanted a break disclaimer

He'll still be here banging in 20 goals a season in 40 years, when the transformation into Steptoe Senior is complete. :thumbup:

(Nah, seriously, unless Brendan is able to work miracles with Iheanacho, an upcoming young striker with the potential to be trained up and gradually introduced over the next 6-18 months would be good. In January, please, or we risk buying full-price off-the-shelf for an established striker at some point....)

• Like 1

the team is built around Vardy scoring the goals and doing what he does up front so when he does eventually hang up his boots it will be very difficult to replace him but maybe we then won't be reliant on one man to get us the goals and be the epicentre of the team.

Guest An Sionnach

Barring a miracle Vardy will miss games this season and Ihanacho will step in. If we don't pick up points in these matches you can forget the top six.

Edited by An Sionnach

Slimani and Iheanacho never stood a chance. They were both foolish signings for obscene amounts. We've learned a very expensive lesson that Vardy is sticking around for a few more seasons yet; replacing him will never be easy but I think we're going to try and prepare Hirst to replicate his goalscoring prowess. Which will piss off the Northerners. Lol.

you cant replace the irreplaceable.

you can only get someone new who does things differently, im sure the process is already under way and is always underway.

but you are never gonna entice someone here of the required quality whilst Vardy is still top dog as no one is gonna take his place.

i really think we should do all we can to sign inge hallands son and tell him he is to learn off vardy for 2 seasons then he is the main man.

but Barca are sniffing around him so no chance of that.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see any point trying to replace him or even prepare an understudy right now, as it's almost impossible. 

How do you find a striker willing to play at best 10 mins here or there as well as a few cup games that has the focus and ability to provide value to the team in the very few times they are called upon? I can't think of many, nor can I think of many teams that successfully do this with any regularity. This is why I think we went for Perez as a Son type player who would play on the wing when Vardy was up front but would fill in for him when he is unavailable.

This hits the nail on the head. No one decent will want to come as #2 so we'll have to wait until Vardy goes or just before. Tottenham have a similar problem with finding a backup to Kane. 

• Like 1

Take his DNA and grow another Vardy in a test tube.

Everything we've bought so far as an alternative, or future replacement has been total pants, let's be honest.

The club have two years to find the answer, IMO.

11 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

We've got 8 games from 1st December - 1st January. he can't play all of those surely? And we'll have an extra game on top of that if we beat Burton, so interested to see how we go about it. 

he can and will play them all, he is a super human.

As others have said, the reality is: 

• We're not going to be able to replace like for like - there's not many players in world football of his type
  • We're not going to simply sign another unknown who rises to legendary status
  • His style + our set up doesn't allow for much opportunities or game time for replacements or understudies
  • When he leaves/becomes ineffective there will be a huge vacuum and readjustment for the whole team and set up
  • Every club wants to find and sign '20+ goals a season' strikers
  • Like 3

Whilst Vardy has been a pivotal part of our success over the past few years, I think we've evolved our style of play so that as long as we have a striker who is relatively clinical we'll be OK. We've moved away from needing a blisteringly quick striker, so that opens up options for us and I personally think given a run Kelechi would chalk up similar numbers to Vardy in terms of goals to chances created. After all as a standalone striker pretty much every opportunity we create comes to him so it doesn't surprise me that his current strike rate is pretty impressive. 

What I think we will struggle to replace however is Vardy's intensity (Sorry to use a Puel phrase). For me Vardy sometimes sets the tempo for the team with his willingness to chase and close down every ball which lifts everyone around him. Unfortunately without him I don't see anyone else in the team capable of carrying the baton nor are there many other player's around with the same mentality. That is where I think we'll struggle as we might see the team drop down a gear in games where that little bit of extra effort/running proves to be the difference between winning and losing. 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don`t disagree @Alf Bentley (Not convinced Vardy can bag 20 in 2059 mind, bit much, maybe 15) - what I meant is that are we transitioning away from that type of player, the (falsely) perceived fast, run off the shoulder type.

Yes, we don't necessarily need a like-for-like future replacement (preferably someone able to stand in for Vardy occasionally soon). But probably needs to be someone capable of finding space and finishing so as to get at least 10-15 per season.

We do now have a few other players capable of scoring 5-6 per season, so a 20-per-season man isn't essential, if he offers other attributes...... a decent number of goals would still be required, though.

Maddison might be able to get close to 10, not sure other midfielders are.

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

The process is spending 50m+ when he's 35 or so to replace him. The man is an absolute legend and irreplaceable. Even if we spend 50m+ and get someone that can replace the goals, they still won't be as iconic a talisman as Jamie Vardy. I personally feel like he represents us, the fans, with his hunger to chase everything down and to play like someone that relishes being paid to play professional footballer. He IS Leicester City.

@Dan LCFC's suggestion of Erling Braut Håland is a very good one, though I think he ends up at a bigger club than us. But I think someone like that comes in for huge money in a few years time. I wouldn't be surprised if Rudkin and Top already have a certain amount budgeted for it already, such is our reliance upon our number 9. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the search was already underway tbh. Would be surprised if Vardy wasn't involved as it was.

• Like 1