Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Closed door friendly vs Rangers?

19 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Won’t go down well with Rodgers , he is a proud northern Irish Catholic who’s boyhood club he led on an amazing successful journey, he hates Rangers make no bones about that 

Is he? This interview says he grew in a mixed faith marriage and he appears to have no time for any of it at all.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/in-full/celtic-s-brendan-rodgers-catholic-protestant-thing-does-not-interest-me-1-4877988

The whole Catholic-Protestant thing does not interest me one iota – not one iota,” he added. “And it’s only really come back into my life since I’ve come to Scotland. That’s the reality. Absolutely.

“I moved away from the Troubles when I was 16, I lived in England and Wales, and then I came here to Scotland when I was 43.

Edited by MattP

I doubt we have any sort of intention of a relationship with Rangers either.

I'd imagine it's more based on being able to do this stuff as Gerrard and Rodgers know and trust each other from his time at Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

I doubt we have any sort of intention of a relationship with Rangers either.

I'd imagine it's more based on being able to do this stuff as Gerrard and Rodgers know and trust each other from his time at Liverpool.

Said it previously but heard from fairly reliable sources Rodgers and Gerrard have very little time for one another.  Gerrard however is very good friends with your reserve team coach though so thats likely where the link comes from.

• Like 1

As an old-timer my memory stretches back to 67 when we played Rangers in a 'friendly' at Filbert St. 

Their fans (in the Kop end of the Popular Side) spent most of the match pelting us with coins, beer cans etc. Remember being dinged on the nut by an old penny - a considerable missile when hurled at speed. It hurt for bleddy weeks.

Kind of wish that one had been behind closed doors too...

• Haha 1

Just now, Stoopid said:

As an old-timer my memory stretches back to 67 when we played Rangers in a 'friendly' at Filbert St. 

Their fans (in the Kop end of the Popular Side) spent most of the match pelting us with coins, beer cans etc. Remember being dinged on the nut by an old penny - a considerable missile when hurled at speed. It hurt for bleddy weeks.

Could have been worse, you could have been in Manchester in 2008 lol

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Could have been worse, you could have been in Manchester in 2008 lol

Had me scratching my head for a minute (the unscarred part) when I suddenly remembered the UEFA final there. Load of Rangers fans turned up didn't they?

As an ex-resident of Manchester, and with less than pleasant memories of the local cops, not entirely surprised things didn't go that well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Was in the Popular Stand for that game bang in the middle of the Rangers fans who spent most of the time lobbing beer bottle onto the pitch, was with my wife then girlfriend on her first visit to Filbo. The police were lined up on the pitch taking it in turns to dive into the crowd and drag out a Rangers fan.

At least the gang of Ranger's fans in front of us who were as foul mouthed as could imagine apologised to my girlfriend but then carried on swearing and throwing bottles. 

Never seen so many beer bottles flying through air they must have cleared a few off-licences out.

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

Was in the Popular Stand for that game bang in the middle of the Rangers fans who spent most of the time lobbing beer bottle onto the pitch, was with my wife then girlfriend on her first visit to Filbo. The police were lined up on the pitch taking it in turns to dive into the crowd and drag out a Rangers fan.

At least the gang of Ranger's fans in front of us who were as foul mouthed as could imagine apologised to my girlfriend but then carried on swearing and throwing bottles. 

Never seen so many beer bottles flying through air they must have cleared a few off-licences out.

Yeah - it was a fierce night all right. Later heard that some Rangers fans found themseves in Highfields (where I lived) and managed to enrage Tyrone Heskey (Emile's dad) and swiftly wished they hadn't. I asked him about it, but he was unforthcoming. Kind of like it to be true, though...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

I mean technically they may be a “new club” but I don’t like the view that a football club is simply the business side of things, a football club to me is the fans and the area and Glasgow Rangers still represent the same fans and same area.

I agree.

Far as I'm concerned Wimbledon are still Wimbledon, Darlington are Darlington, Chester are Chester.

Doesn't make a difference just because it's either a big club/club you don't like that went under because of the greed of individuals. 

9 hours ago, MattP said:

Is he? This interview says he grew in a mixed faith marriage and he appears to have no time for any of it at all.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/in-full/celtic-s-brendan-rodgers-catholic-protestant-thing-does-not-interest-me-1-4877988

The whole Catholic-Protestant thing does not interest me one iota – not one iota,” he added. “And it’s only really come back into my life since I’ve come to Scotland. That’s the reality. Absolutely.

“I moved away from the Troubles when I was 16, I lived in England and Wales, and then I came here to Scotland when I was 43.

This is correct. I can't remember when it last came up but it is behind some of the digs that some Celtic fans had at him, after his rather hasty exit.

The thing is, did we moan when Martin left us for Celtic? You bet we did...

7 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

This is correct. I can't remember when it last came up but it is behind some of the digs that some Celtic fans had at him, after his rather hasty exit.

The thing is, did we moan when Martin left us for Celtic? You bet we did...

It was a sad day when O'Neill left us but I don't remember any bitterness.

18 hours ago, MattP said:

I agree.

Far as I'm concerned Wimbledon are still Wimbledon, Darlington are Darlington, Chester are Chester.

Doesn't make a difference just because it's either a big club/club you don't like that went under because of the greed of individuals. 

But but but... who are MK Dons? :ph34r:

• Haha 1