Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wolves and Man City in the shield too. Quite simply he's in better form than Maddison at the moment. He's been very good in every game he's played so far.

Nacho has been crap for us plenty of times in the past. But when he was crap he was rightly taken out of the team, whereas very specifically Perez and Maddison are able to keep their places despite numerous very ordinary performances. To some extent Vardy has gotten away with it too, but he's usually come back and delivered soon enough. At the end of last season it was more in a supporting role than the main man, but Vardy was playing brilliantly minus the goals so deserved to stay in the team.

At the weekend, Man City could have played Mahrez, Foden or Sterling in the right wing position, but went for Gabriel Jesus instead, because he's been in better form than the other players, or in Foden's case he is returning from injury. 

Perhaps the only thing I can say in Rodgers defence is that with young players he feels they need a run of games to get back to their best. So he decided at the start of the season to give 4-5 games to certain players to do that, and might be thinking of switching those players over at some point. I expect at some point in the season for several players to get extended runs in the team, Soumare and Daka in particular, especially around AFCON / Christmas period.

But really Nacho is long overdue a run in the team. If he put in 2 of Maddison's performances in a row he'd be benched immediately. It does seem pretty unfair if you ask me.

It’s a strange one though, as there is only a couple of months age difference between Kel and Maddison. 

Im not one for Brendan bashing and I’m certainly not a Maddison hater either but the longer this goes on, the more and more bizarre it looks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s a strange one though, as there is only a couple of months age difference between Kel and Maddison. 

Im not one for Brendan bashing and I’m certainly not a Maddison hater either but the longer this goes on, the more and more bizarre it looks.

He's said before that "there's no bigger believer in James Maddison's ability than me." I don't doubt that in terms of upper ceiling of ability, Maddison's is among the highest at the club, and getting the best out of your best player has been shown time and time again to make massive difference; see Cantona, Di Canio, Mahrez to a certain extent. Coutinho was fantastic for Rodgers at Liverpool and Maddison does a similar role to him in our team. 

But as you say, the longer it goes on, the more bizarre it looks. Especially when Kels looks so good when coming on. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's said before that "there's no bigger believer in James Maddison's ability than me." I don't doubt that in terms of upper ceiling of ability, Maddison's is among the highest at the club, and getting the best out of your best player has been shown time and time again to make massive difference; see Cantona, Di Canio, Mahrez to a certain extent. Coutinho was fantastic for Rodgers at Liverpool and Maddison does a similar role to him in our team. 

But as you say, the longer it goes on, the more bizarre it looks. Especially when Kels looks so good when coming on. 

It’s difficult to assess fairly as we aren’t privy to behind the scenes training and data, it’s possible Maddison is smashing it in training. I just feel (from the bits we see) he needs time on the bench, and needs to come on with something to prove.

Rodgers should be sending him on saying after 65 mins, show me I should have started you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaCiudad said:

Wait... Is this a Maddison or Iheanacho thread?

The point of discussing Maddison is the merits of Kel taking his place. Come on it’s not a massive jump is it? How big are people’s attention span that you can’t bring another player into the conversation before they forget what thread they are in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Maddison/Iheanacho debate, to me, seems obvious.....

Iheanacho should be starting.

The way Rodgers is playing Maddison now, he's pretty much up the arse of Vardy the whole game anyway.

It's a bit baffling to me really....

Rodgers best results here came with......

Ndidi

Tielemans  Maddison

Now he's playing....

Tielemans  Ndidi

Maddison

(Yes, the gap in midfield really is that big!)

That's why his comments about us 'attacking too fast' seem odd to me, he's literally gone to a more direct system himself.

It also has the knock on effect, that Ndidi is generally not performing as strongly.

He's far far better when he hasn't got another teammate in his space, I'm getting shades of Puel, when he was playing Ndidi/Mendy together, and it was worse than playing Ndidi on his own.

Iheanacho has always seemed like a pretty positive kid even through some trying circumstances, but I can't think he's a happy camper right now.  Everyone and their uncle knows he's earned the right to be one of the first names on the team sheet, but he sits match after match and watches guys do nothing for 90 minutes.  Everyone has their limits of patience. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2021 at 14:27, Dan LCFC said:

I've said it before and I don't know if it's a silly shout, and I don't really have strong evidence behind this, but would playing him on the right be a disaster? We yearn for this left footed right sided attacker, I feel like he often used to drift out a bit to the right when in a front pairing anyway. Ricardo essentially plays as that right winger at times too. People have spent the last two years claiming it isn't Perez in his actual position either.

Or alternatively just play him behind Vardy, or Daka. He can't be worse than Maddison.

I'm not sure this works. You look at Iheanacho's strengths, he comes alive in and around the box, he's an instinctive finisher who can capitalise on even half chances. You put him on the left and he's about 20 yards further from goal. He then needs to become reliant on going past people and making runs from deep so he can get to where he's most dangerous and I don't see him being particularly great at either.

• Like 3

I thought he had a decent game today, great drive and assist for Barnes' goal.

He could have been better. Sometimes got caught in possession and / or made the wrong decision, which is something he's guilty of even in his better performances. But overall I still felt he was one of our better players, and we look better with him in the team that not.

He also played about 3 or 4 different positions tonight and did well in each one.

• Like 2