Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

At fault for their last goal when he was unable to match Spence for strength and speed however we need to keep in mind that Justin has only just returned to the first team whereas Spence has been at the top of his game for a number of months attracting the attention of top clubs. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Justin is 5'11 so not small . I admit the timing of his jumps needs some work . He has to get up there earlier.

He didn’t seem to have issues with his headers before the injury if I remember correctly. It will take time for his all round game to get back to the same level but I’m genuinely impressed by how he has got back match fitness. After two ACLs I know how difficult what he has achieved must have been  

JJ needs to work on his timing. This is the one biggest fault I see. Practise practise practise! If he thinks he can’t win the ball cleanly than needs to have the quick brains to make sure his opponent doesn’t get a clean head on it either. He’s been at fault for several crucial goals now. Love the kid and his fight back from a terrible injury but this is the big league and time is ticking. We can only afford him so many excuses. He’s gotta come good asap. Sorry to say.

1 minute ago, drofmor55 said:

Danny Simpson was 5'9 and one of the best i've seen at dealing with crosses to the back post..think its about anticipating the flight of the ball..he was a natural defender but v.limited when going forward

One of the best covering defenders I've seen week in week out at the club.

Crazy amount of times he stopped us conceding after the title winning season when Big Wes and Huth were all over the shop.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, drofmor55 said:

Danny Simpson was 5'9 and one of the best i've seen at dealing with crosses to the back post..think its about anticipating the flight of the ball..he was a natural defender but v.limited when going forward

He was superb at it. 

Defending your back post in someways goes against your nature when dealing with aerial balls. You are better to get up early and try to stop the running jump on. Normally you’d try and time your jump

Let's see how well he's playing after a couple of months.

It can take time to find form again after so long out and to also build up match strength in your legs compared to just training.

Unfortunately he'll most likely be playing with some fear until he fully trusts his knee and that will come over time and playing games.

You can see how he's been rusty and out muscled etc so far but I'm sure that he'll find his mojo by the end of the season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Supergray22 said:

He didn’t seem to have issues with his headers before the injury if I remember correctly. It will take time for his all round game to get back to the same level but I’m genuinely impressed by how he has got back match fitness. After two ACLs I know how difficult what he has achieved must have been  

You don't remember correctly - that was never a strength of his game.

On 08/02/2022 at 09:47, Grebfromgrebland said:

Let's see how well he's playing after a couple of months.

It can take time to find form again after so long out and to also build up match strength in your legs compared to just training.

Unfortunately he'll most likely be playing with some fear until he fully trusts his knee and that will come over time and playing games.

You can see how he's been rusty and out muscled etc so far but I'm sure that he'll find his mojo by the end of the season.

Agree...i  noticed with the goal we conceded v Brighton, it was late on in the game and he got beaten in the air,  when he landed his legs almost gave way under him.

Spot on. He looks incredible given the limited time he has had so far. Took me well over a year after my first acl using the hamstring graft method. Never felt the same and the. The same when I did my other knee. Recent techniques are better but he is still coming along fantastically. Hopefully next season we will see him back to his best and perhaps better as he is so young and still learning. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Unfair to judge him as he’s only just come back from a massive injury. We all know he’s a very capable full back. Next season will be massive for him.

Let's hope so. We all hoped Ricardo would come back the same but he has been a shadow of his former self so far.

• Like 1

Arguably one of our best players before his injury. This particular injury is really difficult to fully recover from, he has had months out, has been rushed into a poor team and an unorganised defence. He has had no pre season games, from what we can tell played 45 minutes for the U23s. He is easily another 5+ games from getting full match fitness, let alone his form pre injury.

Give him time. No fault should be at his door. We can blame the manager for not suitably replacing, we can blame players for not stepping up in his absence but with JJ we have an excellent young player here. 

• Like 4

Let's have consistency please.

The same people who were claiming our defensive issues since his injury were because of his absence.

Are now refusing to accept he has been at blame for 3 or 4 goals since his return.

Before his injury, he was arguable our best player for his last dozen or so games....But also looked way out of his depth for his first dozen or so.

It will be the same when Fofana returns, you know, the guy who was playing when Newcastle destroyed us at home and could have had 10!

The reality is, our defensive coaching is shocking....And our ability to actually progress the ball from the back doesn't help either.

Justin? Fofana? Evans? Castagne? Pereira? Soyuncu? Thomas? All shown they can be top players, but it's impossible when the coaching is at such a poor level. 

It’s great to have JJ back and he looks, physicality-wise as good as he was pre-injury. Unfortunately, every game he has played there has been a goal in each game which has come about through his poor positioning or man-marking. He gets a lot more leeway than the likes of Cags due to the amount of time he has been out, but he needs to buck the trend ASAP.

You really do wonder what defensive work we do on the training pitch, consistently one of the back line are 10 yards behind the rest, they’re pulled all over the place positionally and there appears to be zero communication. You would love to play against this backline, and I think Liverpool will!