Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

3 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Great save early on. Did nothing else wrong, similar to the other games tbf

He isn't a Prem keeper, Justin isn't a left back and Amartey isn't a footballer. With those 3 around we'll need to score twice to get anything from most games.

3 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

He isn't a Prem keeper, Justin isn't a left back and Amartey isn't a footballer. With those 3 around we'll need to score twice to get anything from most games.

Mate he's played 4 Premier League games. Four.

In 2014, Schmeichel wasn't a Prem keeper either. If you want to go through other keepers in the league, when they first joined Man City, Liverpool and United, Ederson, Allison and De Gea weren't prem keepers either. Nick Pope came through Burnley's academy. Was he a Prem keeper. We've looked stronger at set pieces and finally have a keeper claiming the ball more than 4 inches off his line. I can name 20 other things that are more of an issue than Ward right now.

• Like 4

JJ is living off a very good period of 3/4 months.

When he first played he was out of his depth and getting done by simple diagonal balls at the back post.

Since his return from injury can’t think of a game he’s been better than 6/7 out of 10 

However, JJ and his performance isn’t even in our top 5 issues right now.

29 minutes ago, iancognito said:

In 2014, Schmeichel wasn't a Prem keeper either. If you want to go through other keepers in the league, when they first joined Man City, Liverpool and United, Ederson, Allison and De Gea weren't prem keepers either. Nick Pope came through Burnley's academy. Was he a Prem keeper. We've looked stronger at set pieces and finally have a keeper claiming the ball more than 4 inches off his line. I can name 20 other things that are more of an issue than Ward right now.

All had at least a season of top flight experience before they joined their respective teams, although I assume you're using them as extreme examples to make a point.

FWIW I agree with you, there are bigger issues in the squad. Not 20 that's for sure, but he'd rank no higher than 16th out of the 20 starting Prem keepers in my view.

But anyway, James Justin. We'd benefit from a left-footer left back. JJ is too predictable on that side. We've overlooked that position for years, with players like Emerson, Cucurella, Telles, Tsimikas all likely being attainable at different times.

Again just my opinion on things and I know it's slightly against the popular view.

Edited by wardyfox86

29 minutes ago, iancognito said:

How old were all of those when they made there debut in the PL?

Ward is 29, and has only just been given a chance, which tells you a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancognito said:

I'm not talking about prior to his injury. That's 18 months ago. It's this season and the backend of last where he just hasn't looked the same player. Even more amazing that Southgate picked him as he clearly hadn't seen him play post-injury.

I replied to your post where you clearly state a right footed left back doesn't work in this league. You're referring to the league as a whole, not post or prior Justin's injury so his form prior to injury is relevant in disproving your point. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

46 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Schmeichel had played significantly more competitive club games than Ward outside the premier league though. As has De Gea, Allison and Ederson. That’s because they were first choice keepers at their previous clubs. Ward has been a career number 2 keeper at club level, this is reflected in how many games he’s played in at 29 years old. 

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How old were all of those when they made there debut in the PL?

Ward is 29, and has only just been given a chance, which tells you a lot.

It tells you he came here at 25, as a back up keeper for the cups, expecting that at some point a big club would take Schmeichel and he'd have a crack at number one. Because let's face it had Schmeichel been dropped whilst being our captain and longest serving player in order to give him a chance, everyone would have gone :blink:

12 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I replied to your post where you clearly state a right footed left back doesn't work in this league. You're referring to the league as a whole, not post or prior Justin's injury so his form prior to injury is relevant in disproving your point. 

Even then you're talking about a 2-3 month spell where he had a decent start in a team performing well. But find me any other sides that play right footers in the left back role. Further up the pitch it can be effective for spells, but not at the back unless you have someone who's genuinely two-footed.

Just now, iancognito said:

It tells you he came here at 25, as a back up keeper for the cups, expecting that at some point a big club would take Schmeichel and he'd have a crack at number one. Because let's face it had Schmeichel been dropped whilst being our captain and longest serving player in order to give him a chance, everyone would have gone :blink:

Even then you're talking about a 2-3 month spell where he had a decent start in a team performing well. But find me any other sides that play right footers in the left back role. Further up the pitch it can be effective for spells, but not at the back unless you have someone who's genuinely two-footed.

You have some it up.

Look at the difference in mentally between Ward and Kasper.

Kasper didn't want to be anyone number 2 and chance his dream with passion  and desire. 

Ward has been happy to sit on his ass as a number 3 at Liverpool and then number 2 here.

To be a top level footballer you need to have a mentally to match.

9 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Maldini is an obvious one and currently playing, off the top of my head Cancelo, Mæhle and Spinazzola can comfortably play either side. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

5 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Schmeichel had played significantly more competitive club games than Ward outside the premier league though. As has De Gea, Allison and Ederson. That’s because they were first choice keepers at their previous clubs. Ward has been a career number 2 keeper at club level, this is reflected in how many games he’s played in at 29 years old. 

Ward was only first choice at Huddersfield (when they got promoted I think) because he spent about 5 years behind Reina and Mignolet at Liverpool. Schmeichel moved around on loan to about half a dozen clubs so it makes sense he had more appearances. Even so, you're only talking about an extra 60 games (I'm not pedantic enough to go down wiki with a calculator). None of which disproves my point. You aren't "a Prem keeper" unless you play in the Premier League. And as De Gea and Allsion have shown recently, you can still have some absolute howlers. He's done well today and will get a run of games to show how good he is, especially if he wants to start over Hennessy in the World Cup soon.

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Maldini is an obvious one and currently playing, off the top of my head Cancelo, Mæhle and Spinazzola can comfortably play either side. 

So in 20 Premier League clubs there's Cancelo and Justin playing on their wrong foot. 40 full back positions, 2 players. However far you go through the world leagues, it's a minority and there's a reason for that.

So in 20 Premier League clubs there's Cancelo and Justin playing on their wrong foot. 40 full back positions, 2 players. However far you go through the world leagues, it's a minority and there's a reason for that.

That's off the top of my head to be fair, I agree it would be far more beneficial if he was as strong on both feet though.

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You have some it up.

Look at the difference in mentally between Ward and Kasper.

Kasper didn't want to be anyone number 2 and chance his dream with passion  and desire. 

Ward has been happy to sit on his ass as a number 3 at Liverpool and then number 2 here.

To be a top level footballer you need to have a mentally to match.

Not totally true though is it? :D

Schmeichel was rejected as a Prem keeper by both Man City and Leeds, it's the famous Grayson quote "we didn't think he was Premier League standard". We were his 5th or 6th club having been rejected or not considered good enough elsewhere. Ward was at Liverpool at a young age. When that team was playing and winning in Europe. One injury and he's got a chance at a top European club to play at the highest level. When Klopp came in he was very complimentary about him but obviously with Mignolet and Karius ahead of him, the writing's on the wall. He goes to Hudds and then here.

At some point you have to stick in one place, especially if you have a family to consider. Maybe he lacked ambition to try elsewhere, maybe he just decided to stay loyal here and wait.

It's all a moot point - Rodgers has said he's number one and that's where he'll stay this season.

Not totally true though is it? :D

Schmeichel was rejected as a Prem keeper by both Man City and Leeds, it's the famous Grayson quote "we didn't think he was Premier League standard". We were his 5th or 6th club having been rejected or not considered good enough elsewhere. Ward was at Liverpool at a young age. When that team was playing and winning in Europe. One injury and he's got a chance at a top European club to play at the highest level. When Klopp came in he was very complimentary about him but obviously with Mignolet and Karius ahead of him, the writing's on the wall. He goes to Hudds and then here.

At some point you have to stick in one place, especially if you have a family to consider. Maybe he lacked ambition to try elsewhere, maybe he just decided to stay loyal here and wait.

It's all a moot point - Rodgers has said he's number one and that's where he'll stay this season.

He was still number 1 at Leeds.

I will have a bet with you that Ward isn't number 1 at Christmas!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He was still number 1 at Leeds.

I will have a bet with you that Ward isn't number 1 at Christmas!

Well he's only got to last until November because of the World Cup but I'll take the bet right now.

Tenner to the Vichai Foundation says in the last game before the break-up he's starting the match.

• Like 1

JJ spoilt us with his pre injury form. He looked like one of the finest full backs in the PL. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to replicate that, but is still judged to those standards. He's been ok going forward but defensively he's still suspect.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1