Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

3 minutes ago, turlo said:

Wasn't great defensively last night and quite often gets pulled inside leaving an opposition player free out wide. Does offer us an outlet that we've been missing by carrying the ball out from defence into the oppositions half very quickly, rather than always trying to pass our way out. Still only had a handful of games since he came back from injury and will improve over time.  

I think the full backs tucking in narrow was an instruction, the wingers were meant to fill out the wider spaces. It was happening both sides throughout most of the game. As mentioned above, the fact Albrighton went down is what exposed that and ultimately resulted in the first goal as Justin suddenly had no one outside and didn’t know where to position himself 2v1. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

Great to see his athleticism hasn't been impacted by the injury but defensively he's been very suspect since he came back. He needs a run of games to find his level again but with the whole defence being a shambles this season there isn't much in the way of slack or cover when a mistake is made.

35 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I think the full backs tucking in narrow was an instruction, the wingers were meant to fill out the wider spaces. It was happening both sides throughout most of the game. As mentioned above, the fact Albrighton went down is what exposed that and ultimately resulted in the first goal as Justin suddenly had no one outside and didn’t know where to position himself 2v1. 

Looking at the first goal, JJ is in a good position covering their left winger at the start of the move but our centre backs had been pulled across to the left, which has created a big gap  between JJ and Amartey. JJ moves across to cover this space as their midfielder was running to the edge of the area with the ball totally unmarked, which then leaves their left winger free (possible left free as Albrighton picked up a knock at the start of that move).

Not sure if that's JJs fault for coming across or the centre backs for being too far across to the left in the first place and not recovering their position quick enough - Rennes movement in the final third was dragging our defenders all over the place!

Can't post screenshots for some reason so including the link to the highlights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

That was arguably his worst ever game for us. He wasn't as effective as normal going forwards, Rennes got in repeatedly on his side all night and both goals were at least in part his fault. He left too much space on the outside for the first goal and was weak in the tackle for the second, which allowed their left back in to set up the goal. I'm a huge fan of his, though, and I'm sure he'll learn from the experience and soon be back to his best once he builds up more fitness. 

Thought he had a 2 against one decision with Albrighton out of position for the first..not his fault

2 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Weak tackle for the second but not sure why Lookman arrived on the scene and then did nothing…I

Yes, I spotted that too.  JJ's weak tackle was because he'd been turned.  Had Lookman anticipated that possibility (which he should have) then he would have continued his run back to cover it and cleared the danger.  A bit hard to put all the blame on JJ for that one.

We were much more effective when we took the game to them and stopped them getting the ball out wide.

Once we made changes ( which were understandable ) we conceded a lot of the midfield ground then they distroyed us down the wings. Their movement was superb and I just hope Brendan watches it back and uses it in our game plan.

They carved us up with ease with 2 on 1 or 3 on 2.

Signs of a very well coached team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

At fault for both goals tonight.

Castagne remains our best defensive full back for me.

Still good going forward though.

Justin pre injury was a long way ahead. Castagne makes plenty of mistakes and gets bullied at times. He's another one who is much better than his performances this season showed but I think you're forgetting how incredible Justin was last year pre injury.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Justin pre injury was a long way ahead. Castagne makes plenty of mistakes and gets bullied at times. He's another one who is much better than his performances this season showed but I think you're forgetting how incredible Justin was last year pre injury.

That's just not true. Name me errors by Castagne leading to goals? Demonstrate when he's been bullied?

Justin was the same at the start of last season. Wood knocked him off the ball against Burnley, there were other errors too against West ham. This season he's been at fault against Spurs, Brighton, Forest and now last night.

The stick Castagne gets is ridiculous. I'm not trying to dig Justin out here but comparatively defensively one is significantly ahead.

It was a while ago, and brain is foggy today, but weren’t his absolute best performances for us at left back? 

Possibly just taking a while to adjust back into his natural position after injury. 

3 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

I find it hard to blame him for the first goal given he was massively exposed. Albrighton should be covering with him but he was injured in the buildup, Youri spotted it and tried to fill in but wasn’t quite fast enough. Just unlucky IMO, without Marc pulling up I think their chances of scoring are significantly reduced.

His positioning was a bit off for a lone defender covering two players, he didn’t react fast enough to Albrighton going down, but that’s about it. If he reacts and positions himself deeper and wider then the player on the ball can just cut inside which is arguably just as dangerous, so it’s lose-lose really.

It wasn’t his best game for sure, but didn’t think he was majorly bad either… 5/10 performance for me. 

Saw a camera shot after the goal of Rodgers getting into Amartey big time on the side line. Guessing that might be because of the ridiculous amount of space left by Albrighton going down. Probably Amartey should be more aware.

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That's just not true. Name me errors by Castagne leading to goals? Demonstrate when he's been bullied?

Justin was the same at the start of last season. Wood knocked him off the ball against Burnley, there were other errors too against West ham. This season he's been at fault against Spurs, Brighton, Forest and now last night.

The stick Castagne gets is ridiculous. I'm not trying to dig Justin out here but comparatively defensively one is significantly ahead.

Your right, Castagne is an alround good full back, defends and attacks well. We were told this by the Belgium fans when he signed. 

I also think that Justin is going to be slightly apprehensive in challenges, he’s just come back in. 

But the attacking qualities of Justin pre injury absolute leave Timmy in his tracks. He was pushing for an England call up he was that good. Probably deserves to be cut a little slack and afforded time to get back to his best.  

Justin was a little unlucky on both goals, Albrighton being injured left him 2 on 1 for the 1st and the 2nd the Rennes player gets a lucky bounce on the tackle. 

Needs to be a little patience with him, Fofana and Ricardo, they will take time to get back up to speed. 

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I think he's better on the left... 

He is, but I reckon Rodgers wanted Castagne vs Mbeumo because he's one of Brentford's best attacking threats and Timmy is better defensively, especially given JJ's current form. And in that sense the move worked.

• 4 weeks later...

JJ’s culpability in some of our recent games is really worrying. He’s way off form and I know he’s been out from injury but so has foffana and he looks like a player reborn. I get players can get rusty when their out too long but damn the amount of mistakes that lead to goals is hard to take.

im sure he must look back in these games with a will to improve on that. I know I hate it in a game when it’s something I did wrong on the field that eventually led to a goal against. Cmon JJ pull your socks up lad we need much better from ya lad!

Just now, cruzFOX said:

JJ’s culpability in some of our recent games is really worrying. He’s way off form and I know he’s been out from injury but so has foffana and he looks like a player reborn. I get players can get rusty when their out too long but damn the amount of mistakes that lead to goals is hard to take.

im sure he must look back in these games with a will to improve on that. I know I hate it in a game when it’s something I did wrong on the field that eventually led to a goal against. Cmon JJ pull your socks up lad we need much better from ya lad!

JJ has a lot more running to do so its a stretch to make that comparison for me. Everyone is different and all of these injury recoveries need to be nursed in different ways. We just played four matches with two days rest in between? Looked like many needed a rest yesterday. For their bodies and their minds.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Him and Castagne basically doing what needs to be done. Castagne isn't a natural left back either.