Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Him and Castagne basically doing what needs to be done. Castagne isn't a natural left back either.

By the looks of those stats, JJ is more natural left back than right - 80% of his G&A have come from that side in his career. Castagne is much more comfortable on the right. Have no idea why Brendan isn't playing them where they prefer to be. 

I think he's not really done it since coming back from injury and been largely poor, but I'm more than willing to say it's understandable and just rustiness still at this stage, even if it's hard to rationalise him missing so many headers for example can be that much down to injury, it could be more about not being properly in the swing of his positioning and judging crosses yet still I guess.

It's definitely Ricardo at right-back and Castagne at left-back looking like our best full-back pairing at this moment in time though.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I’m on the fence with JJ - he clearly had a great period up until his injury with his positive running/outlet that none of our other FB’s offer BUT his ease at being beaten by a simple diagonal and/or his lackluster tackling that have led to a few goals since his return often get glossed over.

How Thomas gets so much flak in comparison baffles me.

....I  have seen a lot of post regarding Justin's shortcomings!!!

He looked really poor yesterday and along with Thomas who was very weak in carrying out his duties. Thomas was constantly coming inside to support Barnes, but running into populated areas, where you had to be pin point to get him in. He (Thomas)needed to go wide to force the defender to make a decision. Barnes then get the chance to do what he wants to do, cut inside and run at the defence.

JJ must have had his worst game for the club yesterday, everything he did was poor and very much culpable for their second goal.

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He looked really poor yesterday and along with Thomas who was very weak in carrying out his duties. Thomas was constantly coming inside to support Barnes, but running into populated areas, where you had to be pin point to get him in. He (Thomas)needed to go wide to force the defender to make a decision. Barnes then get the chance to do what he wants to do, cut inside and run at the defence.

JJ must have had his worst game for the club yesterday, everything he did was poor and very much culpable for their second goal.

As a long time reader but never commented before happy to accept that comment.

I’ve always thought it feels that JJ gets a lot of (deserved) praise with certain failings glossed over in comparison to Thomas and Castagne.

As for Thomas not going wide, our wide players recently keep being very one dimensional in their play with very little “mixing it up” going on the outside/cutting in rather than constantly cutting inside and often running into trouble.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I agree,but after injuries or bench time, I believe they are still needing time to get use to each other’s game again..

Very similar to Justin & adjustments…

over this season, our knocks, absentees,short  returnees, have fked up that rythme

that a competive top 4-8 fight needs.

I don’t believe it’s managers game selection…yesterdays players have had this part of the season some good games, but the missfire the next game because

their tack can’t pick up that needed even Team expected rhythm. We have had & forced to swap & change just too often…

I was angry & frustrated yesterday, but one sees our confidence to find that groove,of trusting to Rythme still often hangs. Maddison,Barnes,Tielemans, now KDH will hold their spaces or ball in triangles too long together ,then the chance of quick ball as gone where normally their natural game  they would play with quicker movement creating chances or space that then opens up.

Ditto with Backline. Amartey when moving ball quicker doesn’t make mistakes, but

if he dawdles/ dwindles on the ball he gets easy flustered, so does both Evans & Soyuncu…Fofana seems to have more time in his mental and skill make up..

He has blackouts, but not so often..

Funny but we seem to be agreeing more with each other, I reckon like all FT posters differences, it’s those smaller angles of perspective, that decide how one sees the same issues…:cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

There are always various mitigating circumstances..

Nomatter good spot..:)

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

As a long time reader but never commented before happy to accept that comment.

I’ve always thought it feels that JJ gets a lot of (deserved) praise with certain failings glossed over in comparison to Thomas and Castagne.

As for Thomas not going wide, our wide players recently keep being very one dimensional in their play with very little “mixing it up” going on the outside/cutting in rather than constantly cutting inside and often running into trouble.

The thing is that Justin is an exciting and dynamic player whilst Thomas isn't. These days fans want to see full backs with energy, creativity and pace. Thomas is more of an old school full back which means that when he doesn't defend well it doesn't get overlooked so readily because he doesn't produce the kind of attacking play that people might remember instead of his defensive mistakes. 

Like all returnees since let’s say since late November, especially Feb.22

their better days If no major set backs will be next season.Fofana is a unique case within itself, he is of the little few that one cannot fairly compare and use as the normal example.

Justin is still in his comeback Phase,ditto for Castagna & maybe even Barnes.

Ricardos case is on going, because of the injury hits he’s taken in these last 3 seasons..
Evans has an issue that needs nursing, but usually seems to hit the ground running..

Maddison took time to refind his mojo, but now holding his own + backpacks..,!

Errors & mistakes are part of the game in Sport , they can become sometimes an unwanted yoke where one has long periods, where it’s difficult to grab them & put them away and brake that Yoke..Amartey is good enough, does he have the mental strength to bury the yoke key, and get onlookers to understand then show & work to his strengths.

Soyu I find has that aptitude and ability,not to go OTT on worry. 

Edited by fuchsntf

24 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The thing is that Justin is an exciting and dynamic player whilst Thomas isn't. These days fans want to see full backs with energy, creativity and pace. Thomas is more of an old school full back which means that when he doesn't defend well it doesn't get overlooked so readily because he doesn't produce the kind of attacking play that people might remember instead of his defensive mistakes. 

Which is a totally valid point but earlier in the posts didn’t someone post that Thomas averages more progressive passes than JJ?

I actually like them both as players just feel that JJ often gets a free pass as he can run faster than Thomas which seems to be the stick Thomas gets repeatedly hit with on here.

I would say that this is probably not helped by how much more conservative Thomas is with his crossing compared to when he first broke into the team, which surely has to be down to Rodgers instructions.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Yeah, is an odd one. I really want to see him back at LB before the season is out. I prefer Castagne at RB too, although he's also to be fair been better at LB recently than I'd previously seen him.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, is an odd one. I really want to see him back at LB before the season is out. I prefer Castagne at RB too, although he's also to be fair been better at LB recently than I'd previously seen him.

I always try to second guess why Rodgers makes certain decisions and can’t help think JJ at RB and Castagne at LB is his way of identifying that we don’t have that dynamic right sided player that we’ve all been crying out for.

Ricardo/JJ whilst from a deeper position offer us that and Castagne in particular is defensively our most sound FB.

Which only adds to the urgency of finally identifying a starting 11 RM/RW.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Think some thought needs to be put into Justin (Or Castagne for that matter) playing left back next year. Especially as it stands, we don’t seem to be linked with a new out and out left back (and Rodgers clearly doesn’t fancy Thomas enough).

The idea of playing a right footer at left back is really contributing a lot towards us becoming so predictable.

The ball goes to Justin/Castagne and then it dawns on them that they haven’t got the left foot to play the line ball - before you know it it’s been passed to Evans and all repetitively all the way back across the back line again. We clearly want to address this in the CB department as we are being quoted as being in for a left footer - but if we aren’t going to play an actual left back it seems a bit counter productive. These passing angles are so important when you want to pass an opponent to death like we do.

This also doesn’t remotely help Barnes. Justin or Castagne don’t want to go on the outside of him, overlap and whip a cross in because they haven’t got it on their strong side. This just leaves the opposition full back to defend Barnes 1v1. Doesn’t make his life any easier.

Interested to see how this pans out over the summer. Might just be a matter of working on their patterns of play with it in pre-season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aleksz said:

Think some thought needs to be put into Justin (Or Castagne for that matter) playing left back next year. Especially as it stands, we don’t seem to be linked with a new out and out left back (and Rodgers clearly doesn’t fancy Thomas enough).

The idea of playing a right footer at left back is really contributing a lot towards us becoming so predictable.

The ball goes to Justin/Castagne and then it dawns on them that they haven’t got the left foot to play the line ball - before you know it it’s been passed to Evans and all repetitively all the way back across the back line again. We clearly want to address this in the CB department as we are being quoted as being in for a left footer - but if we aren’t going to play an actual left back it seems a bit counter productive. These passing angles are so important when you want to pass an opponent to death like we do.

This also doesn’t remotely help Barnes. Justin or Castagne don’t want to go on the outside of him, overlap and whip a cross in because they haven’t got it on their strong side. This just leaves the opposition full back to defend Barnes 1v1. Doesn’t make his life any easier.

Interested to see how this pans out over the summer. Might just be a matter of working on their patterns of play with it in pre-season.

Hmmmm although you do have a point, not when it comes to Barnes. He's much better with Justin than he ever was with Chilwell who was the worst combo for him we've seen. He has done well with Thomas though last season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Justin in his career has played on the left more than the right, and of the three games he's played there recently we've won them all and scored 12 goals, with Barnes scoring twice and assisting four times. 

They work well together and I'd been calling for their reunion on the left for months until it finally happened for the last few games. I know the cailbre of opposition was quite poor but it helps when you've got these combinations that work.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Justin is best at left back and miles better than Castagne there. He's got the pace to go on the outside and the ability on his left foot to do it as well. The team doesn't lack balance when JJ plays there

• Like 1

Remember when he first came back in and made a few errors which led to goals?

Well that issue seems to have gone away.

A fully fit James Justin after a full preseason will be like a great new signing, if he can get anywhere near his form from just before his injury.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Justin is best at left back and miles better than Castagne there. He's got the pace to go on the outside and the ability on his left foot to do it as well. The team doesn't lack balance when JJ plays there

I thought Justin did well today. His athleticism is very impressive.  I don’t know if Timmy was carrying a knock today but he didn’t seem himself today and looked a bit subdued? He did get a knock in the face again. Riccardo looked bright when he came on though. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

England debut today, kick off at 5pm live on C4

Amazing! What a couple of years he has had!

he’ll benefit from the system too I think and some steady CBs 

Edited by MPH