Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

Arbroath have admitted they voted VAR in haven't they?

-----

Re Hibs, no great shock but something has been off with the structure there since Leann Dempster left. Ron Gordon's son is Head of Recruitment ffs. I didn't disagree with the sacking of Jack Ross, they'd fallen off a cliff and had big Hibsed It moments under him and I thought the Maloney appointment at least showed some outside the box thinking but it's just been a disaster. I thought they'd at least be entertaining even in defeat but it's all been so tepid.

Terrible luck with injuries to half-decent players like Magennis, Doidge and Nesbit (latter not as hot this season as last admittedly) - others not hitting their best in Doig and Porteous and a squad bloated with a *lot* of shit (Rocky Bushiri isn't a footballer) has made the season a car crash really. 

Losing arguably the best player outside the Old Firm hasn't helped either.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Really?

I think there would be quite an adverse reaction if this happened.

Everyone has the right to be rehabilitated, but he comes with some really negative baggage.

Yeah I get that but it seems to have been forgotten about now, up here anyway. He's widely reported to be the front runner at the moment.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Arbroath have admitted they voted VAR in haven't they?

-----

Re Hibs, no great shock but something has been off with the structure there since Leann Dempster left. Ron Gordon's son is Head of Recruitment ffs. I didn't disagree with the sacking of Jack Ross, they'd fallen off a cliff and had big Hibsed It moments under him and I thought the Maloney appointment at least showed some outside the box thinking but it's just been a disaster. I thought they'd at least be entertaining even in defeat but it's all been so tepid.

Terrible luck with injuries to half-decent players like Magennis, Doidge and Nesbit (latter not as hot this season as last admittedly) - others not hitting their best in Doig and Porteous and a squad bloated with a *lot* of shit (Rocky Bushiri isn't a footballer) has made the season a car crash really. 

Losing arguably the best player outside the Old Firm hasn't helped either.

They beat Rangers 3-1 in the semi-final not long before they sacked him which wasn't exactly Hibs'ing it. He had Hibs consistently third in the table and like I said, when he left they were around 4pts off fourth place. It's hard to say as Boyle leaving in January and not being replaced was a huge blow to any manager but Ross had enough credit in the bank to warrant a shot at turning it around imo.

10 hours ago, Vacamion said:

There are some Staggies who stopped going when he was appointed.

I think we would see a social media storm and another re-hashing of all those appalling attitudes if he is under the Hibs spotlight.

Goodwillie all over again.

No sensible board would invite that if they could avoid it, but this *is* Hibs, I suppose...

What MacKay done was shocking but is in no way comparable to Goodwillie imo.

8 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

What MacKay done was shocking but is in no way comparable to Goodwillie imo.

Oh I agree.  I was comparing the potential social media storm rather than the stuff they did.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

They beat Rangers 3-1 in the semi-final not long before they sacked him which wasn't exactly Hibs'ing it. He had Hibs consistently third in the table and like I said, when he left they were around 4pts off fourth place. It's hard to say as Boyle leaving in January and not being replaced was a huge blow to any manager but Ross had enough credit in the bank to warrant a shot at turning it around imo.

Hence "moments" my brother. They absolutely shagged two open goals in both the cups last season under Ross. 

Before his sacking they'd won 2 league games in 12. The Maloney gamble hasn't worked but I can see why they thought freshening things up was the way to go.

14 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Hence "moments" my brother. They absolutely shagged two open goals in both the cups last season under Ross. 

Before his sacking they'd won 2 league games in 12. The Maloney gamble hasn't worked but I can see why they thought freshening things up was the way to go.

Need to agree to disagree mate, sacking a manager a few months into the season who finished third place the season previous (as good as it gets generally for Hibs) is the very definition of jumping the gun. Motherwell went on a similar run, also lost their best player and main goalscorer but stuck by their manager and ended up finishing inside the top 6, unlike Hibs. Dundee Utd also endured a torrid run at one point in the season, again stuck by their manage and again finished top 6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Turns out that it was Morton that were the sole club that voted against VAR, citing the cost and detrimental effect on "fan experience". Quite a strange one given they won't have to pay a penny given they aren't and are never likely to be in the top flight.

They are right though, even with how shit your refs are it'll ruin the game. 

13 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They are right though, even with how shit your refs are it'll ruin the game. 

Our refs are unbelievably shit and I think they'll continue to make a host of shit calls even with VAR but if it reduces the number of them from what it is now then it can only be a postive thing.

On 20/04/2022 at 09:34, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Need to agree to disagree mate, sacking a manager a few months into the season who finished third place the season previous (as good as it gets generally for Hibs) is the very definition of jumping the gun. Motherwell went on a similar run, also lost their best player and main goalscorer but stuck by their manager and ended up finishing inside the top 6, unlike Hibs. Dundee Utd also endured a torrid run at one point in the season, again stuck by their manage and again finished top 6.

Could have gone either way for both of those sides on the final day couldn't it? I know that was the case for Motherwell as they needed a last minute goal. So it's not as if they both cruised in to the top 6. Also Hibs only finished 3 points off of 4th so it could have easily paid off for Hibs and I imagine if they'd of appointed McInnes or someone similar they would have comfortably finished top 6. 

If they hadn't had this failed experiment with Maloney, Marvin Bartley wouldn't be a bad shout

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Conspiracy theories about refs' allegiances have been idle pub chat for years.

That will be eliminated by VAR.

To be replaced by idle pub conspiracies about the allegiance of the VAR official.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Could have gone either way for both of those sides on the final day couldn't it? I know that was the case for Motherwell as they needed a last minute goal. So it's not as if they both cruised in to the top 6. Also Hibs only finished 3 points off of 4th so it could have easily paid off for Hibs and I imagine if they'd of appointed McInnes or someone similar they would have comfortably finished top 6. 

If they hadn't had this failed experiment with Maloney, Marvin Bartley wouldn't be a bad shout

They still got there, that's the key thing and Hibs didn't. That kinda reinforces my point in what I said at the outset, had they stuck with Ross at least and not gambled on Maloney they probably would be sitting top 6.

On 20/04/2022 at 09:34, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Game of opinions mate. I personally don't think the issue was sacking Ross, more the fact their dice roll of an appointment didn't quite work. If you're higher up than the manager and the place is stagnating, how many windows do you allow? How much money do you invest? How many players you bring in to suit a manager you're not buying into and are subsequently stuck with? The idea was right, the appointment was wasn't. Ross is a very capable manager but it looked like he was cooked there.

I think the examples of Motherwell and Dundee Utd say more about the dire quality in that glut of mid-table sides rather than providing any great fable about loyalty. They were all as bad as each other. Only Ross County looked like they wanted to finish Top 6 at the arse end of the season. 

• Like 1