Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Vardy Putting Salah's Goal Record Under Threat

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1560623

He's been in such prolific form this season that, despite missing the last two matches, Jamie Vardy is still on course to threaten Mohamed Salah's Premier League goalscoring record. 

Salah's 32 goals in 2017/18 for Liverpool are the most a player has scored in a 38-match season.

The overall record is 34 goals, held by Andrew Cole, for Newcastle United in 1993/94, and Alan Shearer, for Blackburn Rovers the following season.

Thanks to his eight-match scoring run before Christmas, Vardy had been ahead of the curve to break all these records. 

Only one other player had ever scored more than Vardy's 17 goals after 18 matches. That was Luis Suarez, who had netted 19 of his 31 Liverpool goals in 2013/14 by that stage.

And, even though Vardy failed to score in the Boxing Day defeat by Liverpool and was then absent for the next two matches, his tally is still the same as Salah's 2017/18 total after 21 Matchweeks.

Goals_LineChart_2

But Vardy will need to find his scoring boots quickly because from this point on two seasons ago Salah stepped on the gas. 

The Egyptian failed to score in only six of Liverpool's final 17 matches and netted a four-goal haul against Watford in March.

So Vardy will do everything to return as quick as possible from a minor calf injury, especially as Leicester's next Premier League opponents are a Southampton side against whom he scored a hat-trick in October. 

Leicester's upcoming matches

Saturday 11 JanuaryLEI  15:00  SOU 
Sunday 19 JanuaryBUR  14:00  LEI 

Wednesday 22 JanuaryLEI  19:30  WHU 

• Like 1

I don't get that, firstly it says Salah holds the record at 32 then it goes to say Cole and Shearer got 34 in a season which if memory serves me correct was also the premier league era.  Is it a deviation based on the fact there were 22 teams in the league and hence more fixtures when Cole and Shearer done it?

Just now, henrik_62 said:

I don't get that, firstly it says Salah holds the record at 32 then it goes to say Cole and Shearer got 34 in a season which if memory serves me correct was also the premier league era.  Is it a deviation based on the fact there were 22 teams in the league and hence more fixtures when Cole and Shearer done it?

Yep, different amount of fixtures in the league at each time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

It's a pitifully desperate attempt to give a Liverpool player a record for something. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's a pitifully desperate attempt to give a Liverpool player a record for something. 

Not really Cole and Shearer had 4 more games to reach their target. The article also mentions it's the record for a 38 game season.

However..... **** Liverpool! 

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

There were more fixtures when Cole and Shearer got 34 goals.

• Like 1

' The overall record is 34 goals, held by Andrew Cole, for Newcastle United in 1993/94, and Alan Shearer, for Blackburn Rovers the following season. '

No it's 60 goals, held by Dixie Dean, for Everton in 1927/28.

They should be at least specifying that these are Premier League records, not all time records. In fact, sorry to Vards, but they shouldn't be considered records at all.

On 06/01/2020 at 14:18, Kitchandro said:

No it's 60 goals, held by Dixie Dean, for Everton in 1927/28.

They should be at least specifying that these are Premier League records, not all time records. In fact, sorry to Vards, but they shouldn't be considered records at all.

But that article is talking about the Premier League.

Of course football existed before, but that's not what it's talking about.

Is it?!