Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LaCiudad

Goal kicks and pace of game

On 11/01/2020 at 09:37, adejo92 said:

Agree mate. 

I've also noticed a sure fire sign when we are running out of ideas.

Kasper passes it Evans who looks around and doesn't have an outlet or is unsure so he stands there like a lemon waving to the midfield to do something or come to him which eats up about 60 seconds and then here comes the opposition press who smell we are in trouble and then Evans panics and passes across field or back to Kasper. This is just insanity! why has Brendan not resolved this in training. kit keeps happening again and again and is getting our defense in all sorts of trouble. Just not good enough foxes! Be brave, confident, strong and FFS speed the bloody game up!

21 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

When we play it quick and pass it around we are unstoppable, but during the dip we are slow and predictable, especially when teams sit in.

The passing again down to believe at the minute is safe, and when we do try something a bit more adventurous it just isn’t coming off, and kasper just cannot pass full stop

This.

Love Jonny Evans to bits, but I have recently begun to notice he often dithers on the ball.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I've also noticed a sure fire sign when we are running out of ideas.

Kasper passes it Evans who looks around and doesn't have an outlet or is unsure so he stands there like a lemon waving to the midfield to do something or come to him which eats up about 60 seconds and then here comes the opposition press who smell we are in trouble and then Evans panics and passes across field or back to Kasper. This is just insanity! why has Brendan not resolved this in training. kit keeps happening again and again and is getting our defense in all sorts of trouble. Just not good enough foxes! Be brave, confident, strong and FFS speed the bloody game up!

This. Just referred to it a minute ago.

>

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

I get why we do it. Believe that you can invite them onto you and beat the press and usually that opens the pitch for an attack. You have to truly ask yourself would we better launching it upfield and most likely lose possession or believe that we can play out of tight situations and keep possession. It looks bad when we get it wrong but we are only gonna give possession away if we launch it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shailen said:

I get why we do it. Believe that you can invite them onto you and beat the press and usually that opens the pitch for an attack. You have to truly ask yourself would we better launching it upfield and most likely lose possession or believe that we can play out of tight situations and keep possession. It looks bad when we get it wrong but we are only gonna give possession away if we launch it. 

And when we give it away on the edge of the area

We pass the ball really well and some of our build up play is exquisite but we sometimes have no end product and are too slow at moving the ball.

We never seem to get the ball wide and whip it into the box, that's all villa did, and Burnley. We seem more content to retain possession and try to walk it in than to be a direct threat, don't get it? Also Why don't we pump far out free kicks into the box, its worth a punt especially when you're chasing a game. We just take it short and pass it around the back!

24 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

Do we ever score from a corner from Maddison?

We score MORE OFTEN from balls over the top to Vardy, but we don't do that all the time. 

We have to be able to vary our corners if nothing else to keep the opposition guessing and off-balance. We are beginning to see diminishing returns from those corner kicks as opponents increasingly know what to expect.

• Like 1

I think tonight was a night just to boot it up and try and win the seconds. Far too many times we played a short goal kick, lost it or just had no options in midfield. Almost like we had to break them down 3 times. Just get the ball up there and you don’t have to worry about any pressure from their forwards. 

5 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think tonight was a night just to boot it up and try and win the seconds. Far too many times we played a short goal kick, lost it or just had no options in midfield. Almost like we had to break them down 3 times. Just get the ball up there and you don’t have to worry about any pressure from their forwards. 

This

6 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Counted 3 times in the second half Schmeichel had the ball down and none of the front 3 (more front 2 of iheanacho and Perez/Vardy) were even looking. Not an option to lump it long when they aren’t even interested - although agree with the point 

1 hour ago, TWUKO said:

We never seem to get the ball wide and whip it into the box, that's all villa did, and Burnley. We seem more content to retain possession and try to walk it in than to be a direct threat, don't get it? Also Why don't we pump far out free kicks into the box, its worth a punt especially when you're chasing a game. We just take it short and pass it around the back!

Sign a new ulloa? I always think this when we're struggling to break teams down with intricate passing through the middle. Apparently brendan doesn't believe in a plan b, only tweaks to plan a.. 

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Counted 3 times in the second half Schmeichel had the ball down and none of the front 3 (more front 2 of iheanacho and Perez/Vardy) were even looking. Not an option to lump it long when they aren’t even interested - although agree with the point 

They wouldn't be looking if they knew they've been told not to play that way

Lots of good points on this thread. It's pretty obvious at this point that we really struggle against a good high press which was the primary reason for our defeats against Man C, Liverpool and Southampton. West Ham particularly first half and Newcastle barely pressed us at all and those extra few seconds we had on the ball allowed us to wipe the floor with them. Burnley and Villa also didn't press much and both got lucky to a certain extent with some poor finishing and good keeping. 

We clearly need a way to combat this when it happens but Rodgers hasn't yet showed that he wants us to play a different style. We should in no way resort to hoofing to some Steve Howard esque lump which is what most fans relate to as a plan B but something needs doing. We've come a long way under Rodgers breaking through packed defences which was ultimately Puels downfall. If the high press becomes a regular counter measure Rodgers will need to show he can do it again.

3 hours ago, LaCiudad said:

Do we ever score from a corner from Maddison?

Ndidi against Chelsea wasn’t it? 

Anyway, this pissing about in defence is inviting pressure onto us instead of drawing them in. Drives me crackers Kasper and Jonny just kicking it about for 5 minutes until we lose the ball 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Speaking of Kasper, it did ‘amuse’ me when he laid into the ballboy for being slow giving the ball back and then went onto play a back and forth with Evans for all time. 

It’s funny looking back now to November listening to folks comment on talk radio about how great our current team is and is far superior to our title winning legends - ha!

Our young bunch have a long way to go still and haven’t won anything yet either. 2019 is already starting to look like a lifetime ago in terms of great performances.

what these guys lack is that never say die spirit.

think about some of those games against west ham and others where we had to grind out a result because it was just one of them days.

ranieri had instilled in them to never lose if the game was simply not going their way. The bitter loss to Arsenal and how the team reacted with fire in their bellies to finish the season was incredible and difficult.

I want that winning ugly plan B back for when we can’t win pretty. i hope today (and I know we’ve had a few) is a watershed moment. I will erase this awful loss if we beat Chelsea and go on another winning run (getting to the FA cup final will be nice too:)

Ps. icing on the cake will be too see villa get relegated after they get humiliated at wembley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I want that winning ugly plan B back for when we can’t win pretty. i hope today (and I know we’ve had a few) is a watershed moment. I will erase this awful loss if we beat Chelsea and go on another winning run (getting to the FA cup final will be nice too:)

Desperately needed along with an increase in pace, aggression and intensity.

On 11/01/2020 at 17:19, Leicester_Loyal said:

We need a winger with a bit of pace, we only have Gray, the rest are so slow. It would be nice if for the last 10-15 minutes of a game we had a winger who would actually run at defenders and could give them something to think about.

Barnes is probably our fastest player.

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Barnes is probably our fastest player.

This post was a couple of weeks back. I thought he always looks so slow, but against WHU he was rapid. I think half his issue is never taking on the defender, but he’s done that a lot more ever since Burnley away. I’d still like a winger with a huge amount of pace personally.