Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

41 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Is there any other country that has more poor aspect of it than ours; especially the amount of newspaper chains, for example, like The Sun, Daily Express, Daily Mail etc that deliver nothing but drivel constantly and scare-mongering etc?

Even the BBC is becoming unreliable, now, with its lack of cutting edge with its 'high-profile' journalists on important issues such as this virus.

I don't trust any of them, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky, any newspaper, they're all *****.

Except our own Geoff Peters of course!:D

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Crowds being allowed back at sporting events are level one requirements. So it won't be allowed until the virus is no longer present in the UK.

Interesting. No football crowds for 20/21 then.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Haha 1

Saw this on Twitter, from the DFT apparently. I would have thought more than 17% of people in the UK use public transport, but then when I think about it, only one or two people at my workplace and in my family use it to get to work. I’d imagine outside of London and other major cities, not many people use public transport to get to work at all. 

AA73ED48-F956-4313-B293-31BE0EC4C24C.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve been emailed about a potential lead for next week since the speech, fingers crossed things start moving again. I’ll have zero money soon, so need to get some work in this month or I’m done.

:fc:

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I hope they still want the stuff!   

a lot of things upstream will have changed 

if I could start a business tomorrow with low start up cost it would be Perspex sheeting ......

He's to hoping. The gaffer didn't sound worried so I think we'll be alright in the end. Expecting a good few shite months though. Ah well, last few years have been good to us, so hopefully we've got the giblets to get us through this rough patch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Saw this on Twitter, from the DFT apparently. I would have thought more than 17% of people in the UK use public transport, but then when I think about it, only one or two people at my workplace and in my family use it to get to work. I’d imagine outside of London and other major cities, not many people use public transport to get to work at all. 

What was the question? If it was 'main use of transport' it might not be the case. For example some might usually use their car and only occasionally use a bus. Or park and ride involves both for instance?

I'm surprised it's as low as 17% for bus/all rail (or 18% if we include other which in itself could include taxis?) - trains are always packed from Bedford to Luton/St Albans for example around rush hour and that's just one line/route. Surprised it's that low.

Edited by StanSP

8 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I really think those kind of announcements should be made in Parliament, with clarificatory questions to be asked and the full guidance to be published at the same time. The lag between the speech and the full details is absolutely unnecessary, as are the off-the-record briefings which come in that interval. Moreover, perhaps people would be more in touch with Parliament and its workings this way - the very same speech would be made and then there’d be questions to clear up the many holes that have been left. 

I do agree with this.  The failure to conduct business in this manner creates a void and it is inevitable that people get wound up when the void is filled by the media who will please some and anger others.  Worse still is the platform given to the many ad hoc, usually vitriolic, pieces that can be found on social media.

I compare that with how the government here in Spain has had to proceed with its lockdown.  We are in a State of Alarm, thankfully with a relatively clear pathway to normality with checks and balances.  To prolong the State of Alarm the government has had to go back to Parliament every two weeks to get it endorsed.  The last debate was certainly heated but the government was successful in getting its latest two week extension.

This is missing in the UK and this became very evident today when the other three nations of the UK have effectively welched at the Prime Minister’s strategy.  The fact that he did not have the courtesy to discuss with either of their leaders beforehand is really poor form.

Everyone knows clear communication is what is needed here.  I am afraid what was discussed tonight is way short of clear and has, inevitably, left both employers and employees in many organisations baffled.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What was the question? If it was 'main use of transport' it might not be the case. For example some might usually use their car and only occasionally use a bus. Or park and ride involves both for instance?

I'm surprised it's as low as 17% for bus/all rail (or 18% if we include other which in itself could include taxis?) - trains are always packed from Bedford to Luton/St Albans for example around rush hour and that's just one line/route. Surprised it's that low.

I'm not sure mate (I don't think it said) and I can't find the bloody tweet now it was something that someone I follow had liked.

Although, I did find this.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I absolutely despise our media. 

If the government announce on Thursday that the PM will make a speech about changes to the lockdown on Sunday at 7pm then it's really no surprise that newspapers/media will start to run with their ideas of what may be eased. That and ministers spending the last few days dropping hints about what today's speech would entail.

The government should announce any changes with just a few hours notice.

Announcing today's figures for Tests/PPE would also work better than the fiasco of claims of 100k/220k/237k in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

No because the advice is still to stay at home unless it's essential you leave, other than for exercise 

Well that's not true is it. We can have 'unlimited time outside' which is neither essential or exercise. 

26 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I really think those kind of announcements should be made in Parliament, with clarificatory questions to be asked and the full guidance to be published at the same time. The lag between the speech and the full details is absolutely unnecessary, as are the off-the-record briefings which come in that interval. Moreover, perhaps people would be more in touch with Parliament and its workings this way - the very same speech would be made and then there’d be questions to clear up the many holes that have been left. 

Totally agree, sums it up perfectly for me.

7 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

I do agree with this.  The failure to conduct business in this manner creates a void and it is inevitable that people get wound up when the void is filled by the media who will please some and anger others.  Worse still is the platform given to the many ad hoc, usually vitriolic, pieces that can be found on social media.

I compare that with how the government here in Spain has had to proceed with its lockdown.  We are in a State of Alarm, thankfully with a relatively clear pathway to normality with checks and balances.  To prolong the State of Alarm the government has had to go back to Parliament every two weeks to get it endorsed.  The last debate was certainly heated but the government was successful in getting its latest two week extension.

This is missing in the UK and this became very evident today when the other three nations of the UK have effectively welched at the Prime Minister’s strategy.  The fact that he did not have the courtesy to discuss with either of their leaders beforehand is really poor form.

Everyone knows clear communication is what is needed here.  I am afraid what was discussed tonight is way short of clear and has, inevitably, left both employers and employees in many organisations baffled.

Didn't he claim, or alluded, that he's spoken to them in his speech tonight?

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm not sure mate (I don't think it said) and I can't find the bloody tweet now it was something that someone I follow had liked.

Although, I did find this.

lol

knowing me I'd end up booting it at them anyway just for fun

The long term vision is pretty reasonable to be fair. If we can get the numbers to actually achieve it fair play to them.

Obviously there’s the usual Tory nonsense, particularly a load of people need to go back to work at 12 hours notice but we can’t have two outdoor walks until Wednesday 🙄

45 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Didn't he claim, or alluded, that he's spoken to them in his speech tonight?

Thanks Hackney - you’ve made me go and listen.  Word for word here is what was said and I have drawn my context which I explain.

Sturgeon: “We should not be reading each other’s plans for the first time in newspapers”.  Context - the change of slogan from “stay home” to “stay alert”

Johnson: “I’ve consulted across the political spectrum, across all four nations of the UK”.  Context (I believe) - the need to move forward.

Whilst looking this up I found reference to Wales and NI not being consulted about the slogan change either.

I would expect Johnson to keep them onside and maybe he did not see the relevance in the slogan change.  I dislike that slogans are given such prominence but I can see/ hear how they get into the people’s psyche and, in fairness, this is a fundamental change of message.  Coming back to my original point, by being forced to consult with Parliament to push through fundamental changes is important and can avoid banana skins.  That is how this democracy should work - it is slowly being eroded by the PR merchants all politicians now want to employ.  Not good (in my humble view).

Anyway bed time for me - my province is moving to the next stage tomorrow (today now) and I am going to be able to play my first game of golf since the beginning of March.  Long lockdown!!!!  Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Things you can do this week:
    •    From Monday, anyone who cannot work from home should go to work but should avoid public transport if possible. Those who can work from home should continue to do so
    •    Stay at home as much as possible
    •    From Wednesday, people can spend time outdoors for "leisure purposes" - as long as they are two metres away from people not in their households. This includes:
    ◦    Unlimited exercise
    ◦    Sitting in your local park
    ◦    Driving to other destinations
    ◦    Playing sport - but only with members of your own household
    •    Increased fines for those who break the rules
    •    Those who can, should work from home
    •    Wash your hands regularly
    •    If you or anyone in your household has symptoms, you all need to self-isolate

Does this mean we can get back to having a wank whilst sitting on park benches? So long  as we social distance and wash our hands??? Exciting times!

Give it 2 or 3 weeks, spike in cases and shit will shut down again. Get your wanks in now!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not really the point though is it, the point is who could, and then making it appealing to do so in lieu of leaving our cars behind. Which is a real hard sell because we do not have anywhere near cycling infrastructure or suitable mass transits systems (outside of large metropolitan areas) anyway.

Despite the rhetoric, 2 billion is feck all to solve this and a very disappointing recent announcement, considering we spend 27 billion every single year on roads.

Typically it’s as clear as a shit smeared wind screen. My brother works in the construction industry, however, he works in an office and he has been told that his office is open as normal again. Where the clarity is lacking, that is purely idiotic, selfish and retarded! 

All his boss has said is “one person in a toilet at any one time”. ****ing madness. 

It seems that the decision made by the politicians off the back of the scientific guidance is that a return to work should be encouraged and that won’t push R above 1 whereas allowing you to see your families would do (and risk the elderly having more contact with the virus)