Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

That’s for all those poor barstewards who have been cooped up in a 1 bed flat etc with no garden or balcony for 6 weeks and are so starved of Vitamin D they now are eligible to play for SCO or IRL due to the colour of their ghostly white skin :D

1 bed studio apartment on the 2nd floor, no balcony, also working from home.

Fortunately I live with a Dane, so it's like being in one of those sexy Scandi prisons.

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

He needed to use that address to talk about the points that matter to people. Yes the new 1-5 rating system is important, but its an operational matter and something that could have been briefed to the media or in parliament later as for the average person it really doesn't mean much to them. Leading with that was just unnecessary. All the average person cares about is when they can see people and whether they are expected to go to work or not. I was hoping to transparent plan like in Ireland https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e5e599-government-publishes-roadmap-to-ease-covid-19-restrictions-and-reope/ maybe not with fixed dates, but just something to help see what the direction of travel is and what comes when. 

I personally think it was important to share the 1-5 rating system with us all as it showed the boundaries we are working within.
We are still in the higher end, highlighting the fact we are not out the woods and still need to observe the regulations but it also showed we are moving down the scale by that half increment, highlighting that because we are all observing the regulations we are heading in the right direction.

Those increments then fitted into the measures that had to be met before sliding down further along with the 1st of June and 1st of July dates he mentioned.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Surely on the company bosses, other bosses In construction / manufacturing will be keeping their ‘office staff’ at home providing they can work from home, which is in keeping with the message...seems pretty clear to me

You would have thought so, but it seems for some the message needs to be broken down into the simplest of forms. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Russia now has the 3rd most amount of confirmed cases worldwide only behind the US and Spain, but still only just 2,000 deaths... :whistle:

Those found to be infected are probably chucked down a Siberian salt mine. They just missed 2000. :whistle:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Russia now has the 3rd most amount of confirmed cases worldwide only behind the US and Spain, but still only just 2,000 deaths... :whistle:

I guess it depends who you are testing ??

do they say how many tests per day they are doing ? 

why confirm  all these cases and then hide the deaths ??  Surely you can hide the number of cases If you are going in that direction  ???

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Careful mate, don't want you "accidentally" falling out of you window... 4 Doctors in Russia have all mysteriously fell in recent weeks...

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

I personally think it was important to share the 1-5 rating system with us all as it showed the boundaries we are working within.
We are still in the higher end, highlighting the fact we are not out the woods and still need to observe the regulations but it also showed we are moving down the scale by that half increment, highlighting that because we are all observing the regulations we are heading in the right direction.

Those increments then fitted into the measures that had to be met before sliding down further along with the 1st of June and 1st of July dates he mentioned.

I agree he needs to share it, but not yesterday in a ten minute slot where it was done in such an abstract and laboured way. The whole speech had been built up so much during the week as the time when we would finally have some answers, it's not a surprise that people are now frustrated. 

6 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I like the idea of the 1-5 rating system. 

But I thought suggesting we're already at 3.5 was the wrong message, as I think it encourages people to believe that we're clearer of the woods than we are.

That could encourage more people to mingle socially and be careless, causing an upward spike.

I'd have been happier with a message that "we're at 4, it's still serious and it could get worse if we're not careful (5), but if we keep being careful then we can hope to move down to 3 and greater freedoms".

As the immediate changes are fairly minor, I think that message would have worked - and would have been wiser, at a time when an increasing number are champing at the bit to get out there sunbathing, partying, meeting family/friends etc - or are already starting to do that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

When the lockdown was starting and people were being encouraged to work from home, my ex asked to work from home as she has significant health issues and our daughter's school had shut down.

Even when it was perfectly feasible for her to work from home, she had to argue her case quite forcibly. In her case, it wasn't even her employer who caused the problem - it was her line manager, presumably protecting her own reputation by not making it easy for people to stay away from the workplace.

Sorry, @Strokes, the benign scenario you describe might apply to you and workplaces you know but it won't apply to a lot of people. Some employees will feel pressurised to return even if they have issues re. safety, transport or childcare, whether that pressure comes from an employer, a line manager or even, in many cases, just from inside their own head.

I do appreciate that it's a massively difficult situation for the govt to handle - and the lockdown cannot last for too long, for multiple reasons. But there need to be proper plans in place to ensure safe work, safe travel, safe childcare etc.

But the government are still saying if you can work from home, do. So why is this scenario going to change.

What did you want the message to say, that would cover all angles?

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

They've shut all their windows, locked them and thrown away the key! 

Guest ttfn

One of the obvious overlooked factors about allowing grandparents into contact with their grandkids is that it potentially frees up a huge proportion of the working age population to go back to work in a greater capacity.

Even for those working from home, doing so properly with kids to look after is almost impossible. I can only imagine what it must be like if you’re a single parent at the moment because there’s 2 of us looking after one toddler and it is absolutely relentless.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Boris never mentioned it :ph34r:

They're probably taught at Eton that Common is just a derogatory word :P

common adjective (LOW CLASS)

disapproving
typical of a low social class:
My mum thinks dyed blonde hair is a bit common.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I agree he needs to share it, but not yesterday in a ten minute slot where it was done in such an abstract and laboured way. The whole speech had been built up so much during the week as the time when we would finally have some answers, it's not a surprise that people are now frustrated. 

There was answers just not the ones people was lead to believe Would be by the press build up

Edited by jammie82uk

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

There is about as much trust in Russia’s death toll as there is in China’s 

14 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

1 bed studio apartment on the 2nd floor, no balcony, also working from home.

Fortunately I live with a Dane, so it's like being in one of those sexy Scandi prisons.

Then u sir are a lucky barsteward, I’m now thinking your life’s like Eggsy saving the Swedish Princess in the last scene of Kingsman :appl:

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess it depends who you are testing ??

do they say how many tests per day they are doing ? 

why confirm  all these cases and then hide the deaths ??  Surely you can hide the number of cases If you are going in that direction  ???

Apparently 5.6 million tests carried out
total cases currently stand at 221,344 (115,909 just in Moscow) with 2,009 Total deaths 

Edited by jammie82uk

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

Apparently 5.6 million tests carried out total cases stand at 221,344 (115,909 just in Moscow) with 2,009 Total deaths 

One way to inflate results is to test the same people multiple times

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

You would have thought so, but it seems for some the message needs to be broken down into the simplest of forms. 

Yep, I’d imagine last night was only a snippet of the wider picture just so we the general population can see there are moves to get us back working.
The nitty gritty will be done by unions and relevant government ministers for the various industries 

11 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

There is about as much trust in Russia’s death toll as there is in China’s 

Russia's official death toll for Chernobyl stands at 31.  You can't believe a word they say.

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So I’m not point scoring.

Genuinely want Boris to lead us out of this.

What wasn’t clear in the message were two things: 

(and if you want to see clear messages watch the Welsh message and the Scottish messages)

1. Going out to exercise more - if you are going to call it exercise don’t use an icon of someone sitting on a park bench to denote this. Others managed to state that exercise should be local and not picnics sunbathing etc.... we know where this leads with pissed up people and parks full of people not social distancing.

2. He bumbled about in the message and said that if you can’t work from home you should be thinking of going back / returning to work. He then gave a couple of examples in relation to manufacturing and was it engineering - but this left many hairdressers, conveyancers, estate agents, sales people etc... wondering what they should be doing as they can’t work from home and were told they should be returning to work.

The video wasn’t suitable guidance to lead with in a pandemic and also directly contravened the advice that other devolved nation leaders had given their countries. It wasn’t therefore inclusive - it was divisive.

I sadly hope he can clarify things and rescue his position on the matter but watch what happens next...

He also said go back if social distancing can be adhered to. I can't see how hair dressers could do this, this was clear to me, I don't understand when people ask questions like this. He said multiple times we need to be socially distancing as much as possible. Getting a hair cut doesn't seem that important to me. I know they will want to be returning to work but at the same time, they won't want to be putting their families at risk.