Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Is that because we're behind those other countries with our testing so we're finding more now as  our testing tries to catch up?

That certainly might be part of the story. So, the real trajectory of our "active cases" might not be as bad as the graph suggests, as the real figures from past weeks should probably have been higher. 

In reality, they might not even be rising any more.....

But the truth is we probably still have little idea how many are infected due to the lack of testing.

But we do know that there are at least 200k or thereabouts. That's ten times the figure for Germany and at least twice the figure for France, Spain or Italy.

Of course, not all their figures may be accurate - any more than ours is. Given the amount of testing, I assume the German figure is probably the most accurate.

Even allowing for inaccuracies, the info available supports a cautious approach, I'd say.

• Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

That certainly might be part of the story. So, the real trajectory of our "active cases" might not be as bad as the graph suggests, as the real figures from past weeks should probably have been higher. 

But the truth is we probably still have little idea how many are infected due to the lack of testing.

But we do know that there are at least 200k or thereabouts. That's ten times the figure for Germany and at least twice the figure for France, Spain or Italy.

Of course, not all their figures may be accurate - any more than ours is. Given the amount of testing, I assume the German figure is probably the most accurate.

Even allowing for inaccuracies, the info available supports a cautious approach, I'd say.

Absolutely, I can only speak for myself but I'm staying isolated even from my son and his family in Narborough.  until those figures improve dramatically. The only concession I'm making is extra walks.

• Like 3

I hear the good old people of Leicester have made the news.  So glad I don't live in Leicester anymore.  Out of all the places I've lived my home town has been the worst in the UK

BBC reporter suffers racist abuse in Leicester street

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Image copyrightSIMA KOTECHASima Kotecha BBC Leicester
Image captionBBC reporter Sima Kotecha was preparing a live broadcast with guests when they were racially abused

A scheduled live TV broadcast had to be abandoned when a BBC reporter was racially abused in the street.

Sima Kotecha was due to interview people in Leicester city centre on Sunday night following the Prime Minister's statement on updated lockdown guidance.

The broadcast was cancelled when she, her crew and the guests "were subjected to racist and abusive behaviour".

The BBC said it had reported the abuse to police, who are investigating.

Priya Jacob, a junior doctor who has recovered from coronavirus, was one of those due to be interviewed live on BBC One to discuss the current situation.

She told BBC Radio Leicester as preparations for the broadcast were being finished a group of people began swearing and being "really abusive" at them.

Presentational white space

"We felt really bad because they just kept calling [us] names... they just started swearing at the entire crew, which was not very pleasant, so we had to leave," she said.

"These guys would just not let it happen - they were yelling stuff.

"We were due to go on live, but we couldn't be doing such a live programme when these guys were at the background."

Ms Kotecha said she was "furious" adding it was a "sad obstruction of reporting of a national crisis".

"We are appalled by what happened and will be reporting the incident to the police. We will not tolerate racism or abuse of our staff," a BBC spokesperson said.

Leicestershire Police confirmed it was investigating, adding: "Racist abuse will not be tolerated under any circumstances."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Absolutely, I can only speak for myself but I'm staying isolated even from my son and his family in Narborough.  until those figures improve dramatically. The only concession I'm making is extra walks.

As a further approximate guide to the accuracy of infection figures for those countries, these are the number of tests they say they've carried out:

- Germany 2.8m

- Italy 2.6m

- Spain 2.5m

- UK 1.8m

- France 1.4m

(I'd read before that the French had a poorish record on testing, too, confirmed by those figures)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I think that Boris does exude positivity at least and that is something that shouldn't be underestimated in a leader.  

Out of interest, which leader or politician, past or present, would you think most capable for this situation?  Just removing my blue tinted specs for a second, I think Blair might be someone who had the charisma and also a bit of a gravitas.

Without question, Maggie would have got the job done.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I hear the good old people of Leicester have made the news.  So glad I don't live in Leicester anymore.  Out of all the places I've lived my home town has been the worst in the UK

:S

Sorry to hear that - and surprised. I didn't think Leicester was bad at all, but what would I know as a Whitey, I suppose.... :dunno:

1 minute ago, nnickn said:

Without question, Maggie would have got the job done.

I suspect more for the benefit of businesses than the general well being of the people. She didn't have an empathetic bone in her body but sure things would have got things done.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

Just to add but then I'm retired so don't have to work, those that do that are even slightly vulnerable are the ones I'm fearful for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

:S

Sorry to hear that - and surprised. I didn't think Leicester was bad at all, but what would I know as a Whitey, I suppose.... :dunno:

It's not the worst place in the world, it's this notion that people thinks it's a such a homogeneous multicultural utopia that irritates me.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Image captionBBC reporter Sima Kotecha was preparing a live broadcast with guests when they were racially abused

A scheduled live TV broadcast had to be abandoned when a BBC reporter was racially abused in the street.

Sima Kotecha was due to interview people in Leicester city centre on Sunday night following the Prime Minister's statement on updated lockdown guidance.

The broadcast was cancelled when she, her crew and the guests "were subjected to racist and abusive behaviour".

Priya Jacob, a junior doctor who has recovered from coronavirus, was one of those due to be interviewed live on BBC One to discuss the current situation.

She told BBC Radio Leicester as preparations for the broadcast were being finished a group of people began swearing and being "really abusive" at them.

"We felt really bad because they just kept calling [us] names... they just started swearing at the entire crew, which was not very pleasant, so we had to leave," she said.

"We were due to go on live, but we couldn't be doing such a live programme when these guys were at the background."

Ms Kotecha said she was "furious" adding it was a "sad obstruction of reporting of a national crisis".

"We are appalled by what happened and will be reporting the incident to the police. We will not tolerate racism or abuse of our staff," a BBC spokesperson said.

Leicestershire Police confirmed it was investigating, adding: "Racist abuse will not be tolerated under any circumstances."

Mindless idiots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I think that Boris does exude positivity at least and that is something that shouldn't be underestimated in a leader.  

Out of interest, which leader or politician, past or present, would you think most capable for this situation?  Just removing my blue tinted specs for a second, I think Blair might be someone who had the charisma and also a bit of a gravitas.

As everyone else has said I think Blair is the obvious answer, despite his faults. Even 2010-2012 Cameron would handle the social/communication side of the pandemic well, the post-pandemic austerity would be horrific though.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

As everyone else has said I think Blair is the obvious answer, despite his faults. Even 2010-2012 Cameron would handle the social/communication side of the pandemic well, the post-pandemic austerity would be horrific though.

The same Tony Blair who sent soldiers into a war without a plan or the proper equipment, parents often having to send them money to buy helmets and boots? That Tony Blair?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/mod-left-uk-forces-in-iraq-ill-equipped-amid-lack-of-plan-chilcot-report-says

No thanks, his equipping of our troops make the current PPE procurement look competent.

23 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Should have captured them on camera and sent footage to police (make the twats known to the public too) 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Mindless idiots.

Hey, they were just getting ready to interview and suffered racist abuse. No need for you to pile on either :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ok, I've torn off a sheet and relocated to the kitchen.  I still have a dirty bum, what do I do next?  Should I have brought my trousers with me?

Go sit on someone’s knee.

I've just read the booklet and most of it does make pretty clear sense. General feeling appears to be that they're confident if your social distancing outdoors it can be controlled. My major concern is allowing people to travel for exercise or to beaches etc, too early for that for me and people should be encouraged to get out and about locally for time being. Yes there is nothing open at the coast but it won't stop people next time their is a sunny weekend. Most of it is just asking for people to show a bit of common sense, but that's the worry.

Also the stand side-by-side advice is something I haven't considered, may be something that I will have to do when return to normal workplace.

Edited by RowlattsFox

Good point being made on the BBC (surprisingly) about the 14 day quarantine, what if you travel from somewhere to France, then fly into the UK. I'd hope it's flagged up. How can thye check people are actually going to do it though? People will just ignore the advice and go about their normal business I bet.

EDIT: They've just said at the end you've got to provide your address and contact details. How are they realistically gonna chase that up? Police haven't got the resources to stop people going in the park, there's no way they'll be visiting thousands of houses.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Active cases is a pretty redundant measures as we're not measuring recovered cases. 

They also seem to think that community spread is minimal and that most of the cases are currently in hospitals and care homes.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

The worst for racial abuse? That's surprising considering the ethnic diversity in the city

I've had a quick read through some of the new rulings and it is pretty robust tbf.

Just one question though.  You can meet a family member at a park as long as you are two metres apart but cannot meet them in their home.  Does this include their back garden?  I don't see how arranging to meet in a park is less dangerous than arranging to meet in a back garden.  Surely meeting in a park is riskier than a back garden?  Particularly as they are allowing picnics, sunbathing and sitting around in a park from Wednesday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I've had a quick read through some of the new rulings and it is pretty robust tbf.

Just one question though.  You can meet a family member at a park as long as you are two metres apart but cannot meet them in their home.  Does this include their back garden?  I don't see how arranging to meet in a park is less dangerous than arranging to meet in a back garden.  Surely meeting in a park is riskier than a back garden?  Particularly as they are allowing picnics, sunbathing and sitting around in a park from Wednesday.

I have been wondering this too. We have access straight to our garden without going through the house, which will of course be the case for many.