Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

There was also a report today that health care workers were no more likely to die than the general public. I thought this quite an important finding as it would suggest the reported lack of Ppe didn’t have that much of an effect. Goes against the narrative 

Edited by January47
Missed word

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

On seeing family:

Everyone has different situations, some might be alone or love to be locked in a house playing video games without seeing family or friends, or simply like being alone locked away. Some people live with  large family (generally ethnic minorities or foreign nationals from Eastern Europe), so is that why they are seeing large numbers of cases? Or are they just not careful enough. What really is the difference between living in a house of 10 and 5 households of couples joining together for meeting up (assuming they all still do the same things, go the same places)? Nothing.

There are people who are very close to their family, for who this is hard. There are people like myself who have young children and they are finding it extremely hard not seeing grandparents/friends/going somewhere that isn't the house or garden. This could potentially affect their ability to learn and grow up properly if taken too long, not good for anyone's brain letalone young children.

The biggest thing is the fact you can go to a park and keep your distance to meet family members, but you can't go into an open space around either household, front/back garden (even when not needing to go in/through the house). That makes no sense. Lots of people will now be going to public places and mixing with other households they are not even interested in.

Driving places:

This is the biggest bullsh1t of them all. Technically, you could drive from Newcastle to Devon just to get nice weather and see the beach.

Holiday Homes:

People can drive far away, but they can't go to their holiday homes. Again, why? Whether they spend their time at home or in a holiday home (assuming it is their's and they do not mix people in it) shouldn't make a difference.

Sounds like you've got a family, a car and a caravan. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

With respect, I think the argument here is that while this crisis is having a huge effect on the mental health of many people, being able to see family does not address that issue for all or even most people suffering from its effects. As such, it seems to be a mite unfair if this is the only one or simply the overwhelming favourite of such options looking to be given a green light.

I agree with you on this. My daughter, aged 23, has been struggling with lockdown as she has Bi-Polar affective disorder and ADHD. Although she lives independently, she needs routine to stay stable. That routine has been severely disrupted by the lockdown. She did voluntary work in a charity café that helps people with mental health issues to do something that gives them stability and purpose. We see her when we can and distance ourselves but that isn't enough for her to help her feel supported by us. She needs more than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

For me the problem is they’ve tried to hedge their bets and mask their main motivations.

They are trying to get people back at work because they’re worried about the economy but they know that the horrendous death toll at the moment means they have to try and look like they’re being careful from here onwards. So they leave ambiguity there and hope some employers take that and run with it to do what they really want: people back in work and making money.

And can then shift the blame onto the public. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, January47 said:

That data shows a correlation between type of job and rates of death not that the type of job causes an increased risk. Other factors particularly other health issues and income probably show a similar pattern. I’d guess there would be a similar pattern if job type was correlated against deaths from any cause.

41 minutes ago, January47 said:

There was also a report today that health care workers were no more likely to die than the general public. I thought this quite an important finding as it would suggest the reported lack of Ppe didn’t have that much of an effect. Goes against the narrative 

No doubt there is significant distortion of the data by socioeconomic factors, as a previous study showed that deprived populations have an increased risk of death. However I believe there is an underlying inherent increased risk to some jobs due to increased social contact. This graphic (from the same thread) would be difficult to explain otherwise. I suspect the same for the female caring professions (HCAs and nurses).

EXuW2WfXkAE8Y0x?format=jpg&name=medium

You can meet with anyone not in your household OUTDOORS if it is on a one-to-one basis.

He's backtracked on only mentioning parks.  I'd take that as meaning going to see family in the back garden is absolutely fine.  On a one-to-one basis.  Just set up a rota when you get there lol

Edited by Legend_in_blue

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

You can meet with anyone not in your household OUTDOORS if it is on a one-to-one basis.

He's backtracked on only mentioning parks.  I'd take that as meaning going to see family in the back garden is absolutely fine.  On a one-to-one basis.  Just set up a rota when you get there lol

Doesn’t sound very COVID secure to me mate.

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

But aren't you putting them, yourself and others at risk? I totally get the point about mental health problem, but I do not see what the solution is without potentially cause an alternate problem (potentially) 

Every time we go out, we take a risk, even with social distancing which isn't always complied with. It is surely not beyond the common sense of people whether it is as likely to be as safe as we go to the supermarket. This is the answer though:

Matt cartoon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, January47 said:

Got a link?

To make this idea of going to Work if you can,have any ground,he Shoulder be just singularly adressing only  the "employees",gut within the same Statement of advice,be telling the employees & their levels of management,that they too have to show they understand and follow the Govt. Advice of staying,aware,alert,Plus demand from their own Internal managers that Social distancing and Corvid-19 Health relevant Standards are to be adhered to in the Work enviroment.

He has mentioned it,but not made a direct significant statements on responsibilities of the Employer.

Included in that also parents who have to stay at home to Care for their children,cant be forced or expected to return to work....

They have indicated and made short passing statements,but have not been defining enough...

Not all,but there are a good minority of line-managers,that are and stay pig-ignorant & arrogant,towards their workers rights...and ignorant towards understanding what they should be managing...!!!

PS:  fair dues...Just Now BJ has been more specific und basically said the Employees have to also Take responsibility,and will be controlled..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

43 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Sounds like you've got a family, a car and a caravan. lol

2 out of 3 ain't bad (as Meatloaf once said). And my car has been on the drive for 7 weeks! The only reason for me to go anywhere is to give the car a spin. May bomb down the M69 and back at some point.

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Raab said that it is only in public spaces this morning, not in gardens. Who knows. Do whatever you think is sensible is my advice.

• Like 1

They alluded to it in the conference tonight but I'm close to certain that a vaccine will work and close to certain that the Oxford one will work. Researchers don't use the language which they're using unless they're supremely confident and Sarah Gilbert, Andrew Pollard and John Bell all of the Jenner Institute all seem to be bigging up their vaccine. The bonus of the Oxford one is that if transmission is high we'll know if it works quicker, if it's lower then it'll take longer to know whether it's effective, but obviously there'll be lower numbers, so it's basically a no lose scenario. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Now don’t tell me people are still confused after watching that 

Yep, still scratching my head about workplaces tbh. His comments regards that were different from the published document this afternoon. 

The blokes just not an orator in live situations. He says what can be said in 10 words in 170

• Like 1

Boris is flustered, no doubt about that and gets tongue twisted far too easily and isn't looking comfortable in his position. Problem is he doesn't understand the scientific and medical stuff so struggled to explain certain things. 

There is far too much ambiguity, and there was no need to change emphasis too much. 

In general, hopefully most will continue to use common sense and not take the piss but some will. 

Guest ttfn
50 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

For me the problem is they’ve tried to hedge their bets and mask their main motivations.

They are trying to get people back at work because they’re worried about the economy but they know that the horrendous death toll at the moment means they have to try and look like they’re being careful from here onwards. So they leave ambiguity there and hope some employers take that and run with it to do what they really want: people back in work and making money.

There’s a link here between common sense and clarity. Anyone with common sense during a pandemic is methodical, careful and calculated in what they do. Doing things on what you think is right rather than clear directives is, in actual fact, the opposite of common sense.

People are crying out for clarity, transparency and solid leadership. They want to do the right things and have shown that through actions thus far. But unfortunately we’ve had deception, ambiguity and contradictions from day one of this pandemic.

Reminds me of the old “all we want is consistency” followed by “all we want is common sense” from football fans talking about referees.

The two aren’t quite mutually exclusive but you’d be incredibly lucky to find a population where they weren’t.

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yep, still scratching my head about workplaces tbh. His comments regards that were different from the published document this afternoon. 

The blokes just not an orator in live situations. He says what can be said in 10 words in 170

In what way?

If you have a job that you can’t do from home then you are to get in contact with your employer 

• Like 1