Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Posted at 10:3810:38

No need to panic, says ex-patient

One of the first people in Scotland to contract Covid-19 has told the BBC about his recovery from the disease.

The man, in his 50s, was diagnosed almost two weeks ago following a trip to Italy. He returned home on 25 February, a Tuesday.

"I felt no symptoms. I was completely fine and went to work on the Wednesday and Thursday. Later on the Thursday evening, I started to feel a bit of a flu coming on. I had a mild fever, I felt shivery - but the biggest symptom was aches and pains, particularly in my legs.

"I was feverish. That continued through Thursday night and I didn't sleep too well."

On 1 March, he was diagnosed and hospitalised. But from this point on, he said his symptoms did not develop any further.

"By the time I went to hospital, I was feeling fine. The mild flu symptoms quickly dissipated, I had no leg pain, no fever, no cough and no shortness of breath."

He said he wanted to tell his story to the BBC so that people did not panic about exposure to the disease.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Yes. My wife works in this and there is no coherent plan from the government on this. Frankly a disgrace. Those who need care at home will end up in hospital if they can't get it.

Yes exactly, no SSP because you're not sick just the clients. 

The carers do an amazing job for low pay anyway, Care agencies take a massive load off the NHS by providing care in the community, their workers deserve some financial support through this.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

This sums the whole thing up. We are all scared of the unknown.

Bu the time June comes round literally we'll all know someone who's had it and the fear will start to dissolve when the general feedback is that it's nothing much. 

I got measles as a kid - pre MMR - and there was no panic as it was so routine and the cases which led to complications were too rare to worry about

Are they drip feeding us these getting better stories to prevent complacency I wonder.

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Help the guy and wash your hands.

You should be more worried about him coughing or sneezing near you... that's immediate transference - assuming hence even has it. You'll only get it from contact if you then touch yourself somewhere that the virus can get easy access... nose, mouth, eyes. Skin is a remarkably good protection.

You were more likely to get infected down the pub.

Maybe I was being a tad over careful/clueless, but the feeling in the hospital was palpable. Everyone was looking at everyone else anytime you ended up sitting in an area with different people, no matter what reason they were there for. There was some people with masks and some without. I just wanted to help my niece out who's got a lot of health issues out and get her back home.

Luckily for the young fella, another guy came along to help him out with his phone.

• Like 1

It's the first really big health scare in close to 100 years. We've not seen a similar epidemic since the Spanish Influenza, so about four generations have no tangible comparison to what a global virus can do.

I'm not even sure if it's fear or just ignorance coupled with lack of knowledge. The herd mentality was on full display today. I went shopping at around noon over here, and many shelves have been "plundered" already. I wish these people would stop freaking out and think of it as the end of the world as we know it.

There's also plenty of fake news circulating on Social Media and Whatsapp. Mind-boggling to what lengths some people go to upset a whole society. Idiots.

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I find if your sort the chart by number of people per million of the population more interesting.

Currently Norway and Switzerland are actually the 2nd and 3rd most widespread infected nations per population behind Italy but they seem to be not mentioned as much.

Yes, certain national figures are surprising on the face of it. I was curious about Iran, too, until I read that it apparently has very intensive economic links with China.

The high figure for Switzerland might be understandable given its proximity to northern Italy - and I read that a lot of Italians will have gone ski-ing there in recent months. Also borders France, which has high figures.

Why Norway, though? Visiting cruise ships? :dunno: But then why Denmark?

I'm sure some of the surprising figures are down to differential accuracy in reporting. Maybe the infection figures for Norway & Switzerland are just more accurate than in some other countries?

For a start, if the real UK infection rate is 5-10k, as said at the official press conference, that would presumably put our "rate per million" at about 118 instead of 11.8, so closer to the rate in places like Norway & Switzerland....

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The toilet paper scarcity is amazing to me. It's not even a pooey virus; what the hell goes through some people's heads?

If they are in isolation on their own and nothing to pass the time, there is one use for it! :ph34r:

Just now, foxile5 said:

The toilet paper scarcity is amazing to me. It's not even a pooey virus; what the hell goes through some people's heads?

General madness.

Till lady in the supermarket said it was all a bit crazy, but the only people who had kicked off were the ones who weren't happy about certain things being rationed.

Shop was generally busier and shelves less well stocked than usual, but the thing that intrigued me was all the flour and baking stuff was pretty much gone, as if everyone's going to start making their own bread like in the 16th century

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I find if your sort the chart by number of people per million of the population more interesting.

Currently Norway and Switzerland are actually the 2nd and 3rd most widespread infected nations per population behind Italy but they seem to be not mentioned as much.

Heard that Switzerland were going to pump several billion into it’s economy.

3 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Heard that Switzerland were going to pump several billion into it’s economy.

As soon as I wrote that I read Norway is completely closing its borders and telling all Norwegian people to get home basically today before it shuts down completely and told anyone who went to non-Nordic country in the past 2 weeks to self-isolate straight away.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Sampson said:

As soon as I wrote that I read Norway is completely closing its borders and telling all Norwegian people to get home basically today before it shuts down completely and told anyone who went to non-Nordic country in the past 2 weeks to self-isolate straight away.

Wonder if they know something we don't

They had one of those SO CALLED experts on the radio last night and he was saying that whilst the herd immunity strategy could prove successful, he couldn't see how it could happen without a significant body count.

I wonder if we're being fed a deliberate dose of Classic Dom.  Might alleviate that pesky social care bill

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

They had one of those SO CALLED experts on the radio last night and he was saying that whilst the herd immunity strategy could prove successful, he couldn't see how it could happen without a significant body count.

I wonder if we're being fed a deliberate dose of Classic Dom.  Might alleviate that pesky social care bill

Let's not pretend that this government have been hiding the fact there would be a body count in attempting to reach herd immunity, they've been saying exactly that from the start.

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, said: “We have all got to be clear, this is the worst public health crisis for a generation. Some people compare it to seasonal flu. Alas, that is not right. Due to the lack of immunity this disease is more dangerous.

“It is going to spread further and I must level with you, I must level with the British public: many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.”

Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths.